[Guide] Kog the Magic Dragon...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eledhan

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
What is your freaking problem? If you have something to contribute, come out and say it instead of being a ****. Some support would also be nice since El has gone to a lot of trouble to do DPS-analysis which clearly shows that SotD is in fact the optimal DPS choice early to mid game.
Warrr...does he troll you as well?

Cuz it's almost like he searches the forums for my posts just to be a jerk...

Eledhan

09-21-2011

Quote:
The problem of course is that you dont get MPen for free. You have to give up something.

MPen will definitely improve your damage when you start ramping up W and get on-hit items, but doesn't do much for you early game since W is pretty weak then except for the range boost. BUT, attack speed improves your damage throughout the entire game.

For my style, I DO go Mpen because I go Meki to Chalice and Puke Carpet them a lot, so my early game does benefit. I also get sorc shoes which gives me close to true dmg vs squishies with my Ult and puke carpet, plus boosting my autoattack.

I kinda like Hu's style which goes with Apen and AD quint with 21 offense. This really helps the last hitting and ensures that your harassment is quite strong. APen is less and less useful as the game goes on of course, but an early Sword of Divine extends its utility vs squishier folks, and early game performance is pretty important.

So I haven't really found a clear cut winner and am reserving judgement until I try the various early game configurations. It is likely a personal preference.
[Emphasis mine]

I think this is so true. For example...I'm messing around with a rune page that I call "sustain". Essentially, swap out the AS seals, glyphs and quints for Armor, MR, and Hp5. Now, I know most people think Hp5 are a wasted rune slot, and I have to admit it's a bit sketchy.

However, I tried it for about 6 games last night...the ability to stay in your lane by starting with boots and 3 HP potions is simply absurd. Use your W for poking harass and last hitting from a distance, get a point Q, and then focus on E. This makes your harass so much more powerful...because with MR and Armor, your Hp5 works harder for you, and your harass on them is just as good.

And once you get a full build, you are still hitting about 2.389 AS, which is so close to 2.5 it really is irrelevant. I loved the ability to simply stay in lane during laning phase. Using this new rune page last night, I beat Veigar and Malzahar solo mid, a Cait/Taric combo bottom with Sona supporting, a Vlad/GP combo with Janna supporting. The regen keeps my support's mana supply up, allowing them to focus on helping me harass and last hit instead of just being a healbot.

I'm with Warrrax...it becomes a personal preference in terms of runes, boots, and utility/defense items...however, if you're trying to max your DPS in an AS on-hit build, SotD grants you the most DPS when you have its active up. Follow that up with Wit's End and then I've been going to Phage (and sometimes even Mallet) before building Bloodrazor.

Oh, by the way...the calculations for SotD assume that the procs are distributed evenly over 4 attacks...in reality, if you time your harass right, you can generate MUCH more DPS for the first 5 attacks than 25 per attack...it could theoretically be 200 / 5 = 40 per hit instead of 100 / 4 = 25 per hit...assuming you proc on the 1st and 5th attacks...

This feature makes SotD EVEN BETTER for DPS. Plus, the most effective defense against auto attackers is by getting dodge...with SotD, you don't ever have to worry about that.

Eledhan

09-21-2011

Quote:
The problem of course is that you dont get MPen for free. You have to give up something.
Hey, man...

I just updated the spreadsheet for the boots comparison...turns out that with sorcerer's boots, you're dealing slightly more auto attack DPS (2-4%) when you have 38% AS from runes at all stages of the game. The increased DPS drops by about 1% to only 1-3% better than Zerker's when you don't have the AS runes.

Once you add in the increased damage from abilities, it makes Sorcerer's Boots look VERY attractive.

I decided to maximize the SotD's procs to be 2 per 5 attacks instead of only 1...this makes it much more attractive on its own, but also makes Mpen better. I realize this doesn't always happen (just like the active isn't ALWAYS on), but at the same time, if you are maximizing your build, then you should see what the most DPS possible can be.

Next up....

Testing out different runing options.

Eledhan

09-21-2011

Oh good grief...

Apparently Google docs is finicky on how it edits spreadsheets...I made some changes and didn't realize there was an issue with the way it updated all the formulas...so...those results I came up with for zerk's vs. sorc's were skewed.

Now I have it all fixed...turns out Zerker's are still better, regardless of runes. The percentage increase in auto attack DPS is between 4% and 10% when using non-AS runes. If you use the full AS runes, it will make the percentages drop to between 2% and 8%.

So...the DPS on auto attacking is higher with Zerker's. I guess you just need to figure out if you want more auto DPS or skill DPS.

NOW I can move on into figuring out what runes might be best at all stages of the game.

Flargenblarg

11-21-2011

I've become re-interested in kog ever since I got 9 AS marks and 3 AS quints, I want to try them out in the builds I've been using.

I started using Hu4rollz malady build with great results, then moved on to the SotD build with even better early game results.

The only problem is a transition into late game, Malady cuts down MR by 24, and seems to synergize perfectly with MBR AND sorc shoes, which results in 44 lowered MR(well, 20 of it is penetration). Or hell, should I just pick up void staff at the very end?

Should I sell SotD to get malady after MBR? Or abandon the whole SotD idea and just go malady from the beginning?

Or, is it not worth it at all to have even a single spec of Mpen and just go SotD-wits-MBR-Mallet?

As for runes..I know it sounds crazy, but I think I've had the best results by going AD marks AND AD quints, relying on the SotD active for arpen.

This was, however, mostly because I was terrible at regular last hitting with kog and combined the ad runes with a doran's blade to ensure that I got every cs while harassing. I'm a bit better with cs on kog now and don't think it's worth giving up the AS, i'll probably try AS now.

I know the thread is months old but...KOG!

EDIT: And of course, the biggest thing is the new masteries, pumping all **** into the offense tree can do very well for hybrid damage now it seems with arpen and mpen in there.

FaerellG

11-21-2011

Huh...why all the thumbs down people? The man isn't even finished with the guide yet.

Eledhan

11-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
Huh...why all the thumbs down people? The man isn't even finished with the guide yet.
Actually, I have...

Updated and re-posted...with upvotes to boot!

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1428510