[Guide] Kog the Magic Dragon...

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eledhan

Senior Member

09-19-2011

...lives by the sea...

Props if you know the rest of the song...you are also OOOOOLLLLDDDDD!!!!!

Anyway, I'm starting one more massive guide for another of my favorite champs...Kog'Maw!

I've got most of the leg-work out of the way (I optimized his AS on-hit build), now all I need to do is flesh out the rest of the guide according to the concepts presented in my little spreadsheet.

I have to say, I've learned a lot from hu4rollz's post about koggy strategies. I don't want to take anything away from his strategy post found here...

.

but I believe I've got the information a bit more organized for readers interested in learning how to play Koggy as an attack speed firework show! (yes, I use that skin...hence the dragon name for the guide)

Currently, this guide is only a spreadsheet with a brief itemization explanation.

Before you check out the spreadsheet, though, let me summarize the build for you:

Quote:
21-9-0 Masteries
Full Page of Attack Speed Runes
Flash / Exhaust

W, E, W, Q, W, R
Then
R > W > Q or E (based on preference)

Start with Boots & 3 Health Potions
Build Sword of the Divine and Berserker Greaves ASAP
Next, build either Wit's End or Madred's Bloodrazor (then build the other one)
Now build Frozen Mallet and Banshee's Veil

Mixing your item order around may be required (as all good players should do according to the game), but always rush SotD followed by one of MBR or Wit's. After that, build defense if needed, just make sure you end up with Greaves, SotD, MBR, Wit's, Mallet, BV.

Here's the link for the item DPS analysis...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...U1Z3c&hl=en_US
Good luck, and stay tuned for the full-fledged guide!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eledhan

Senior Member

09-19-2011

Reserved


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eledhan

Senior Member

09-19-2011

Reserved #2


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bumbah

Senior Member

09-19-2011

Why not Sorc Shoes?

When looking at Damage Done after every AS/Onhit Kog game I play, I do way more magic damage than Physical. Is that a result of me buying sorcerer shoes? I've never understood why kog players would get anything other than sorc or mercs.

Enlighten me pls

(my end game build is always, Sorc, MBR, Malady, PD, WE, and SotD)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eledhan

Senior Member

09-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbah View Post
Why not Sorc Shoes?

When looking at Damage Done after every AS/Onhit Kog game I play, I do way more magic damage than Physical. Is that a result of me buying sorcerer shoes? I've never understood why kog players would get anything other than sorc or mercs.

Enlighten me pls

(my end game build is always, Sorc, MBR, Malady, PD, WE, and SotD)
Okay, I've updated the spreadsheet with a "Experimentation" tab so I can play with this kind of stuff. I didn't use your full build (PD with all the others puts you OVER the 2.5 AS cap).

I use full page of AS runes, so you might not get the same exact results, but you can at least see where you would be if you used the same build I use, just swapped the boots...

Please remember I use a full page of AS runes, so I'm already +38% AS @ level 1.

@ Level 9 with SotD - Zerk's deals 2.78% more average DPS than Sorc's
@ level 12 with SotD & Wit's - Sorc's deals 11.78% more average DPS than Zerk's
@ Level 15 with SotD & MBR - Zerk's deals 1.14% more average DPS than Sorc's
@ Level 18 with SotD, Wit's, & MBR - Sorc's deals 0.21% more average DPS than Zerk's


https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AreYouReady2Die

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-19-2011

I build him like my teemo, rainman style..

Hp per level seals, armor pen mark/quint mr glyph. 11/19/0 mastery. Atleast similar to his build style, skipping dorains blades to get madrids razor faster.

Mbr, sorc boots, stark's, frozen mallet, void staff/abyss scepter, last one varies. I tend to not use sword of divine unless facing jax. Works better than a super squishy AS no pen 21 offense build, that I don't have to run nearly as much, I just eat foo's. Dunno last time I tried pure AS runes I faced defensive tank team that walked all over me from lack of pen, how many games have you tried this?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eledhan

Senior Member

09-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouReady2Die View Post
I build him like my teemo, rainman style..

Hp per level seals, armor pen mark/quint mr glyph. 11/19/0 mastery. Atleast similar to his build style, skipping dorains blades to get madrids razor faster.

Mbr, sorc boots, stark's, frozen mallet, void staff/abyss scepter, last one varies. I tend to not use sword of divine unless facing jax. Works better than a super squishy AS no pen 21 offense build, that I don't have to run nearly as much, I just eat foo's. Dunno last time I tried pure AS runes I faced defensive tank team that walked all over me from lack of pen, how many games have you tried this?
I've used this build (AS on-hit) EVERY single game. The fact is, when you're dealing 10% of HP every attack (the AD portion plus other procs make up for most, if not all, of the mitigation on Madred's and his W), it doesn't matter what they are building...you're demolishing their HP in a matter of seconds.

Against squishies, he just devastates them. Against tanks, he takes a bit longer to chew on them, but with 2.5 AS, he's dealing about 50% of total HP in 2 seconds...assuming no moving is required...why bother with anything but AS and tank items with that kind of damage?

I've tried to theorycraft for other rune pages, but I can't think of anything that would help as much as just pure AS. AS Marks are the best marks. He might could use some defensive seals and glyphs, but I use Exhaust to cover my defensive needs early game. As for Quints, if you want more DPS, AS is king...and like I said, I use exhaust on the biggest threat if I need defense in the early game. Once you get to late game, you should have lots of HP and lots of MR to counter any burst...you should out-damage any sustained damage (auto attackers).

Since Kog gets his late game build (in terms of damage) faster than any other champion I'm aware of, trading kills is always good on him...he only needs about 2.5k to have some very nasty damage output, whereas most other champions can't do much with 2.5k due to other needs (mana, survival, speed, sustain, etc.).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-20-2011

Hmm. Based on those experimentation results I am leaning towards keeping Sorc Shoes in my build. The shoes also impact his Ult and Puke carpet quite significantly, so since it does not appear to lose a lot of damage relative to zerkers on the autoattack, it would appear to be advantageous.

Hey, thanks for doing the calculations!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eledhan

Senior Member

09-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
Hmm. Based on those experimentation results I am leaning towards keeping Sorc Shoes in my build. The shoes also impact his Ult and Puke carpet quite significantly, so since it does not appear to lose a lot of damage relative to zerkers on the autoattack, it would appear to be advantageous.

Hey, thanks for doing the calculations!
Well, remember this is based on the fact that I already have the equivalent of a recurve bow from runes and masteries since I have a full AS rune page...

If you are using anything else besides a full AS rune page, Zerk's will close the gap on Sorc's.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eledhan View Post
Well, remember this is based on the fact that I already have the equivalent of a recurve bow from runes and masteries since I have a full AS rune page...

If you are using anything else besides a full AS rune page, Zerk's will close the gap on Sorc's.
Got it. I might try it with mostly AS which is my standard jungle rune-set. In any case, I have several new build variants to try.
The AD, 21-9-0 approach for easier last hits and harass, the AS 21-x-x approach for more overall DPS, and modified version of my own build with reordered offensive items and possibly new runeset/masteries.


123