[Champion Concept] Duplico, the Spell Thief

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

reiyooki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2011

Something a bit different. A champion with no directly damaging abilities other than his autoattack (And one minor exception in Power Drain). Numbers will need fiddling with no doubt, but that's true of any champion. It's definitely something that would take some getting used to for a lot of people. His reliance on enemy spellcasts makes CDR a very powerful stat, as it allows him to steal, or reflect their spells more often.

All constructive comments and criticism are welcome, and changes will be made if merited.

Note on Copied/Reflected spells: These count as spells cast by Duplico for purposes of damage/kills, Only the base spell is duplicated when copied with Spell Steal. Reflected spells duplicate the properties applied by the original caster.

Roles
Ranged, Mage, Support

Health: 410+75/lvl
HP5: 1.1+0.1/lvl
Mana: 350+75/lvl
MP5: 1.5+0.15/lvl
Move Speed: 310
Armor: 10+3.2/lvl
Magic Resist: 30
Attack Range: 450
Attack Damage: 40+3.2/lvl

Abilities
Mirror Force
Innate Passive
Range: N/A
Each enemy spell cast on Duplico grants him a stacking bonus of 5 AP for 20 seconds. Stacks up to 4 times.

Radiant Sheen
Cost: 75/90/105/120/135 Mana
Cooldown: 36/32/28/24/20 sec.
Range: N/A
Passive: Duplico has a 5% chance to reset the cooldown on his Radiant Sheen and Flicker abilities when a spell is reflected.
Active: Duplico gains a shield which reflects the next targeted spell cast on him back at the caster. The shield lasts 1/1.5/2/2.5/3 seconds, and is consumed when a spell is reflected.

Power Drain
Cost: 40/55/70/85/100 Mana
Cooldown: 36/30/24/18/12 sec.
Max Range: 500
Passive: When Duplico uses this ability, he gains 25% of the damage done as mana Allies within range gain half this amount. This spell is unaffected by Spell Vamp.
Active: Duplico concentrates a stream of energy on the enemy dealing 30/45/60/75/90 (+35% of AP) damage over 1/1.5/2/2.5/3 sec, and silencing them for the duration of the channel. Movement will break this channel.

Flicker
Cost: 50/60/70/80/90 Mana
Cooldown: 12/10.5/9/7.5/6 sec.
Range: 150/175/200/225/250
Aiming Type: Skillshot
Passive: When struck by a melee attack, Duplico has a 5% chance to cast this spell choosing a random direction. If the spell is cast in this manner, the cooldown is not triggered.
Active: Duplico teleports himself in the chosen direction.

Spell Steal
Cost: 100/175/250 Mana
Cooldown: 90/75/60 sec.
Range: 600
Active: Duplico memorizes the next (non-ultimate) spell cast by the targeted enemy within 2.5 sec. This ability can be activated for free a second time within 10 seconds to cast the memorized spell, duplicating it exactly, and adding 20%/35%/50% of his Ability Power to it. If the copied spell is not cast it is lost after 10 seconds.

Recommended Items:
Doran's Ring
Ionian Boots of Lucidity
Deathfire Grasp
Rod of Ages
Soul Shroud
Rabadon's Deathcap

Appearance
Duplico is a snow-white male yordle, similar in appearance to Rumble. He wears reflective silver robes, and a pair of robin's egg blue tinted goggles.

Story
Playing tricks is something every yordle likes to do now and then, but not Duplico - His tricks are constant. He likes to play cruel tricks on magicians and summoners alike, something most yordles would avoid. His most famous trick was played on the rogue yordle named Veigar, when he drove the little creature half insane with rage by redirecting his magic back onto him, instead of the walls of Bandle City.

Lines
Joke: (Duplico draws runes in the air in front of himself) Stop hexing yourself! Stop hexing yourself!
Taunt: What's yours is mine. That includes your magic. (Duplico laughs)
Move 1: I feel sorry for you guys.
Move 2: Ooh! More mages to play with!

reiyooki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2011

Shameless bump. Any and all constructive criticism is welcome. I do realize it's a far cry from current champion design.

reiyooki

09-19-2011

bump

Valancia

09-19-2011

I like the idea, one question about spell steal though: can you steal ults with it? That might be... well... broken. Maybe instead of stealing the spell completely, you steal the spell at a lesser power than it's original and then add his AP on to it? That being said... i suppose the cooldowns are quite long... Haha, sorry i guess i'm not being very helpful. In short: I like the idea, not too sure about spell steal/redirect (maybe some tweaking in terms of ultimates) and cooldowns are quite long maybe instead of the shield only reducing cooldown for the shield abillity make it a flat rate that if the shield is broken that it reduces all cooldowns by a certain amount. Anyway, love the concept but I think the numbers need to be modified a bit.

DiscoSage

09-19-2011

1. why is his magic resist 20?

2. I think the passive is interesting, but don't you think that is a little too much AP, especially early in the game? I think 5 would still be very strong.

3. I think the shield on Radiant Sheen should last much shorter, perhaps 2/2.5/3/3.5/4 secs. Spell absorption is a very strong mechanic, using Banshee's Veil as an example. Spell Reflection is so much better, I think many would consider it OP. I think the key to balancing this champ would be to make it so you have to be a very good with timing to use him effectively.

4. I vaguely remember someone saying Riot would not do any sort of manna drain effect in regards to Power Drain. I also don't think you need the shield. How about a channeled, minor-moderate damaging spell that silences the target/ increases your mana regen? I also don't understand why the mana cost decreases and cooldown increases with level. Also, why do you need mana regen if most of your spells have such long cooldowns?

5. I like this. I'm not sure if I agree with the adding 100% AP though. I think it should function as if you had that spell. Additionally, it should not proc on abilities that do not cost mana (and probably not on ults). I feel like many people would still consider this ability OP.

6. Should definitely not add your AP to the effects of enemy spells. Again, I think most would think this is OP even after my "nerf".

7. I understand what you are trying to do with this champ, but I'm not sure it would be liked by most. I don't like it's high base damage in conjunction with it's abilities. I think a major way to improve this would be to cut out his ult, make Spell Steal his ult (and maybe increase it's cooldown a bit), and then add a teleport or another support spell.

8. Definitely one of the few champs who excels with Deathfire Grasp.

reiyooki

09-19-2011

@DiscoSage: I agree on almost all those points. The MR was just high by my own mistake. I had used a template from one of my other champions and didn't change it back. It's been cut in half. I've also reduced his base attack damage noticeably.

I decided to change Spell Steal to his ultimate, and added a skillshot-type flash with a short range.

My original intent was that he had long cooldowns due to his high base damage with redirected/reflected/copied spells, those spells all had a correspondingly high cost. However I do see your point about the mana regen. I made his cooldowns shorter, and increased mana costs a bit.

Drain Power has been reworked to a damage/silence channel which restores 25% of its damage as mana, and is unaffected by spell vamp.

@Valancia: I updated the note about stolen/reflected spells. Only stolen spells apply his AP, as they only copy the base spell. Reflected spells retain their original caster's properties (AP, slows, etc)

DiscoSage

09-19-2011

Nice, but his MR was actually too low IIRC I believe all champs start with at least 30.

Also, your tele is very short range, with a relatively long cool down. I would recommend increasing the range, and then either adding an effect on port (small, short aoe silence would fit imo), or reducing the cooldown.

reiyooki

09-19-2011

There we go. Lowered the cooldown on Flicker. The intent was it had JUST enough range to hop walls, but not enough to be extremely good for chasing/escaping. I'd rather he not have a constant stream of CC going with that and his channel. I also set his MR to 30. I could have sworn the base was 20, but meh.

DiscoSage

09-19-2011

Fair enough. I'm not sure how far you need to be able to go in order to get over walls.

Also, to boost your support role, you could have Power Drain replenish allies' mana as well (maybe at 10% ?)

reiyooki

09-20-2011

Mmm... I think half the mana return should work, for champions in range. I also added a passive to Flicker to make it a bit less appealing to use solely as a chasing mechanism.