Should ELO be changed to reflect individual skill rather than team win/loss?

Yes, I played well but got no credit because we lost. 61 73.49%
No, I'm happy in elo hell 22 26.51%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

ELO rework

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I shatterstar I

09-22-2011

Thalion, you described step 1. Apart from endless queue dodging, what do you do when you pick a balanced champ to fit with the needs of what has already been selected and A, your teammates missed this nugget of common sense and instalock a 2nd & 3rd tank as the 4th and 5th chars (or fill in the blank with overstacking a champ type that won't help you) or B, someone doesn't like the champs banned and decides to throw the match?

I know how to pick a balanced team - that isn't the point here. The point is I've still never been able to find from devs exactly how elo works. If the goal is to increase your elo, what do you have to do to accomplish that (apart from obviously winning matches which is sometimes beyond your control)?

Kitemare

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srey View Post
Ooo oo!

I have something! I have an idea!!!

Maybe... just MAYBE people are "stuck" in the 800-1200 range because they belong there! Perhaps THAT'S why 70% of players are rated under 1250!

Because if you actually think about it, OP, you would realize that it only takes a 50.00001% win chance to increase in rank, that means YOU are the deciding factor overall in regards to your elo!

Intertersting stuff!

also, inb4 OP is only a member
I gave this some thought and laughed abit too. Thanks for that . I have MVP'd (my way of saying topped) many many games, I don't think I am the deciding factor in my "rating". Everyplayer has a role in the game, if the role isn't pulled we fail. IF I countlessly do my part I don't feel like I should be kicked further in elo. So maybe the players should have a different rating and then at the end a team rating.

Dominon has 1st 2nd and 3rd rating system, wouldnt be hard to convert some numbers and Idk... lessen the amount of rating the better players loss? Therefore encourging more people to try rather than jerk off at base some more.

ThalionTheWicked

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by I shatterstar I View Post
Thalion, you described step 1. Apart from endless queue dodging, what do you do when you pick a balanced champ to fit with the needs of what has already been selected and A, your teammates missed this nugget of common sense and instalock a 2nd & 3rd tank as the 4th and 5th chars (or fill in the blank with overstacking a champ type that won't help you) or B, someone doesn't like the champs banned and decides to throw the match?

I know how to pick a balanced team - that isn't the point here. The point is I've still never been able to find from devs exactly how elo works. If the goal is to increase your elo, what do you have to do to accomplish that (apart from obviously winning matches which is sometimes beyond your control)?
So then what are the next steps I should take to ensure that I stay out of the 800-1200 elo range and stay within the 1500+ elo range?

VirTTus

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by panduhz View Post
Learn to play better. Elo hell is good for keeping delusional baddies in their place lol.
Learn to know, this game is not individual but between teams, then, where currently the vast majority of players with ELO between 1000-1300 are totally useless. Do not you have a good score 27/0/3 if your team is 0/19/0 and that boy of 11 years had to leave because his mother told him to clean his room.

Saga of Ilthire

09-23-2011

Voted in your extremely bias poll that I'm happy in ELO hell.

I don't believe in ELO hell, and I do enjoy my 1700+ rating for S1.

DM Ridged

09-23-2011

The ELO system works...

Insert "THATS BS" here

It works but it has its problems with a game like this. The problem is that it played the laws of averages, that eventually you will be the only factor in your ranking, the problem with this is unless you have around a thousand games played (500 hours of ranked) you are almost guaranteed to not be in an accurate elo.

The problem with it being on an individual basis is that it is not hard to play like a pansy and only go in to do damage when you are 100% safe. or you can just play lux and steal kills with your ult and run away, this strat would put you at a very high elo.

I think that if you win you should gain elo and if you lose you lose elo. but the determining factor needs to be how much. so if you go 20/8 and lose you would only lose 5 elo, but if you win and you are 2/12 you only gain 5 elo. BUT this only applies to carries, tanks and support need to have different measures of how well you did.

For carries its easier to calculate, you simply do something like
(Kills - Deaths + (assists / 4))*(damage dealt / total team damage dealt)
you are a carry so you will have alot of kills and alot of assists is worth less to you. The reason for taking damage dealt is to prevent just killstealers from getting high elo, you would acutally need to have done alot of damage.

Tanks can do something like
(Kills - Deaths +(assists / 2))*(damage taken/team damage taken)
ofcourse this is not perfect

For support it gets much harder, it would need to be something like
(Kills / 2 - deaths + assists) * ((amount healed/team damage taken)+(mana restored to team / total mana spent))
theres other things like stuns but i think that would be reflected in the assist number. your support so kills shouldent be worth much.

Ofcourse all of these would need some magicial modifier in order to calculate exact numbers but this is just an idea. One main problem i see with these equasions is its possible to do different builds with different champs, like tank vs AP cho. maby it would use final stats, like if you have > 250 armor+MR you are classified as a tank, less than that may be a carry, and things like that to determine how you should be evaluated.

Tonetta

09-27-2011

I'd rather not see that, because then nobody would play support, tank, or anything that isn't a carry. Also, people wouldn't ever play aggressive, and it would make for very passive games. No thanks.

Leeroy Jenkinsv1

09-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThalionTheWicked View Post
Elo hell IS possible to get out of... I went from 890 elo to 1296 last season... personally i saw Elo hell as a wake up call on needing to either do something or quit this game for good. If i hit the 800 mark i was quitting. If i hit 1k i was gonna stick it out. needless to say i hit my goal and went beyond. Don't look at elo hell as bad matchups, look at it as bad teamwork on your part. If you blame yourself for everything that goes wrong, you eventually break down your mental blocks on how good you are and start transforming into how good you pictured yourself in the first place. Best example: If you see your team has 2 AD champs, a tank, and an AP support, don't choose another AD champ, a tank, or a support. Choose some kind of AP nuke you are good with. Thats where it begins. Just learn a tank, an AD range, an AD carry, an AP nuke, a jungler and a support.Then rather than playing the champ you feel like playing, you can play the champ the team needs you to play. Make sense?
wtf 1296 is elo hell you scrub

YumyFood

09-27-2011

His 25-5 is a combined of them both. Yes it does work like that in elo hell.
i went 7-1 as sion,(15mins into game, annie was underfarmed cuz i keep killing her over n over and said sion op then vayne lvl 8 ( her lane partner was 10) yes .. for 20 mins of game she's lvl 8 went 4-14 in 20mins, amumu was bad as well, bad q string, bad ult he literally ulted like 10 feet away from enemy champion lets not start with top with renekton being underfarmed to rumble..after 25 mins Annie literally went from 0-6 to 10-7 yes, that how bad these people are, vayne at lvl 8 will chase after rumble who's 14 from our jungle to theirs even tho i ping her to back, Oh i forgot to mention nocturne got wriggeles around 10mins mark and never used it for entire 35min game, OH did i mention we were 5vs4, and we lost)

problem with rank is people doesn't like to listen to others when they are clearly bad. there's usually 2 people in team who's willing to do stuff for sake of team but other 3 do as pleases and troll. Lack of wards, lack of micro and map awareness, lack of knowing when to kill, cast a spell, or who to aim for in fight.