Should ELO be changed to reflect individual skill rather than team win/loss?

Yes, I played well but got no credit because we lost. 61 73.49%
No, I'm happy in elo hell 22 26.51%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

ELO rework

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I shatterstar I

09-18-2011

I see a number of posts about people complaining about elo hell. The most interesting solution idea I've seen so far was to start people off with zero elo and have them climb the latter by wins rather than starting in the middle and hoping to not get a number of bad draws to pull you down (from which there is apparently no return).

However I have another idea - rank people by their KDA as opposed to team victory. It seems every time I duo queue my friend and I are both somewhere in the neighborhood of a combined 25/5/40 by the last five minutes of the game. That of course falls a bit because we're getting steamrolled by the 2 nubs on our team feeding so hard. 2 people can't carry a 5v5 match with a feeder / quitter on your side no matter how good they are (assuming the enemies are anything better than terrible).

I would LOVE to see rankings be based upon individual metrics of scoring in a match as opposed to team win/loss. I'm sure there are some people who would think this would be bad because it would incite tanks to not tank etc but the individual metric should support everyone doing their job. Supports would have a higher weighting toward amount healed, fewer deaths, assists. Carries would have higher weighting to creepshots, kills, fewer deaths. Tanks would have higher weighting toward fewer creep shots, damage absorbed, fewer deaths, assists, etc.
Maybe add in one on the tracking system of damage dealt to towers/bases as opposed to killshot only on them.

We wouldn't have to know the math, I'm sure riot could figure out a good way to set it up that promotes how they think the game should be played. But please please please rate the skill of the players, not backhandedly rate the luck of the queue system.

wang slangin

09-18-2011

Poll is biased, but yes.. I want it based off individual.

Japanimation

Master Recruiter

09-18-2011

Umm, not going to vote because like Hayyden said, your choices are bias. And I still believe it should be based off the overall win/loss, considering it is a team game.

Jarge II

09-18-2011

If you're 25/5/40 between 2 of you and you can't win the game, you're missing some basic fundamentals of this game.

PsYcoTiCluNaTiC

09-18-2011

I'm happy in elo hell.

Srey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2011

Ooo oo!

I have something! I have an idea!!!

Maybe... just MAYBE people are "stuck" in the 800-1200 range because they belong there! Perhaps THAT'S why 70% of players are rated under 1250!

Because if you actually think about it, OP, you would realize that it only takes a 50.00001% win chance to increase in rank, that means YOU are the deciding factor overall in regards to your elo!

Intertersting stuff!

also, inb4 OP is only a member

panduhz

09-19-2011

Learn to play better. Elo hell is good for keeping delusional baddies in their place lol.

I shatterstar I

09-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarge II View Post
If you're 25/5/40 between 2 of you and you can't win the game, you're missing some basic fundamentals of this game.
In 3s i would agree with you but if in 5s and 2 of your other teammates, at the same point in the game, are a combined 1/50/5 - you're f***ed no matter how good you are. Don't take an obvious estimation for hard stats. If you want hard stats though, my KDA for ranked with cho is roughly 3.5 - I forget the exact but it's within a decimal or two and I have never won a match with him. I'm racking up assists in the lane and coming out on top in preminion melees in the jungle and all that fun stuff but have never had a match with him and a good team to back me up. Never even had a winning match to help put a positive skew on my KDA but there it is anyway.

But back to the point - I was mostly asking Riot's opinion, if they read this section, about getting rankings based off of individual performance rather than "team" performance when you have idiots like that . Too hard to calculate it that way or is that why dominion will have more individual stats in the scoreboard section because we're already heading down that path but want to do more testing before rolling out gamewide? I set up the poll to see if people agreed with me or not. Obviously there should be an 'other' option but that wasn't what I was asking about.

Soobydoo

09-21-2011

OK why not just make it so someone could re-take their placement matches like you can do in SCII or arenas in wow. Just make it cost something, so people are not doing it over and over (like 2000ip or 250 rp would hold people up) the point of this is... to let people have a chance to prove themselves that they have gotten better and can rank into it and not try to crawl out of elo hell.

ThalionTheWicked

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-22-2011

Elo hell IS possible to get out of... I went from 890 elo to 1296 last season... personally i saw Elo hell as a wake up call on needing to either do something or quit this game for good. If i hit the 800 mark i was quitting. If i hit 1k i was gonna stick it out. needless to say i hit my goal and went beyond. Don't look at elo hell as bad matchups, look at it as bad teamwork on your part. If you blame yourself for everything that goes wrong, you eventually break down your mental blocks on how good you are and start transforming into how good you pictured yourself in the first place. Best example: If you see your team has 2 AD champs, a tank, and an AP support, don't choose another AD champ, a tank, or a support. Choose some kind of AP nuke you are good with. Thats where it begins. Just learn a tank, an AD range, an AD carry, an AP nuke, a jungler and a support.Then rather than playing the champ you feel like playing, you can play the champ the team needs you to play. Make sense?