[Guide] Rammus-The Rolley Polley Ball of Awesome.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jaydee81

10-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeyk View Post
Well, is it mitigated by their armor?
I would believe it deals magic damage, but I don't know if this is just guessing or if I have actually read it somewhere.

Cheers,
JD

Krald

10-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee81 View Post
I would believe it deals magic damage, but I don't know if this is just guessing or if I have actually read it somewhere.

Cheers,
JD
You are correct sir! It is magic damage, so it is mitigated by magic resistence.

Shirokuma

The Council

10-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krald View Post
We play pretty different,...
That pretty much sums it up. Not saying one's better than the other, just different approaches.

Krald

10-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirokuma View Post
That pretty much sums it up. Not saying one's better than the other, just different approaches.
I will say you've definitely proved to me that you play a beast rammus. I'm placing that build of yours in the guide :P

Corona Nox

10-11-2009

FYI, it might be bull****, but I keep hearing people saying Sunfire is being changed to a unique ability.

CnB84

10-11-2009

I only started playing a few days ago and Rammus is the only hero I've used. I prefer to tank and after examming all the heroes that are available, I chose him, because;

1.) I prefer to have as high of effective hit point regen as possible. Curl makes his regeneration ultra efficient. I haven't had a close look at some of the other tanks in the game, but if Rammus has 20 hp/s regeneration, Curl will turn that into 50 hp/s, without even considering existing armor and resistance values.

2.) He's strong on the support side. I get a certain satisfaction out of taunting an opponent and saving a friendly champion as a result. Some kind of assasin or fighter hero breaks invis and starts attacking a friendly? Not a problem when Rammus is on the job.

3.) He has a strong and very cool escaping/initiating mechanism in Powerball. It's the reason why I don't even bother wearing boots, it's so strong.

I prefer to kit my Rammus out for tanking, very heavy tank.

I either get a Glacial Shroud or a Warmog's Armor starting out. It depends upon how well I've laned. If I can, I'll buy the Shroud right away. If not, I'll begin working on the Warmog's Armor.

The Shroud probably won't become a Heart until later in the game, after I've picked up a Warden Mail. Mainly I want the manapool and cooldown modifier in regards to the Heart anyway. Afterall, I'm going for regeneration.

The Warmog's is important for adding Effective Hp and the enormous amount of regeneration it offers. It's a must have on any tank in my opinion, since unlike in Dota, most tanks don't have a significant amount of hps and spells never really lose their potency in LoL which isn't really the case in Dota. Therefore, it's important to have some meat to fill in the chink in Rammus's armor.

Assuming the game lasts long enough, the Warmog will add close to 20 hp/s in regeneration, while nearly doubling Rammus's Hp.

Adds 110 armor, 20 hp/s regen.

Next after the Shroud and Warmog, I begin working on 3 Warden Mails. I know what you're thinking, but if I'm not mistaken, the slow debuff's chance to hit increases by 20% for a total 60%. That's a pretty darn good chance of slowing an oppenent down after they hit you. It makes taunt an even more devastating disable.

Adds 270 armor, 15 hp/s regen.

Finally, we add in one Force of Nature. This helps smooth over issues with move speed, not perfectly, but it's a noticeable difference. It also stacks very well with Warmog's hp boost.

80 resistance. W/ Warmog, about 19 hp/s regen.

Ignoring things like masteries and and runes, that's 54 hp/s regeneration right there. With the 600 or so points of armor you gain with Curl and armor items, effectively Rammus will regenerate around 350 hp/s against physical attacks. Also when you consider, Warmog's effect of putting Rammus over 3000 hp, one is probably looking at a tank that is effectively 18000 hp thick against physical attacks.

Of course, there is the problem of the magical chink. Most hero kills in LoL I've noticed make a point of dealing magical damage using ability boosters. Rammus would be lucky to gather 300 resistance even with curl on. This makes the hp regeneration a bit more modest, however it does rather nicely cancel out most ults. If Rammus used his ult on himself, he probably wouldn't even be hurt by it provided he has curl on. This goes for all the DOT AOE spells in the game.

Just a couple other points I'd like to make.

In my experience, Heart is all that's really needed to meet Rammus's MP needs. Regeneration is not required. You'll be able to form all of Rammus's spells almost 3 times at level 18. Usually by the time I've ran out of mana, I'm either hurt so bad that I need to heal or it's time to buy a new item.

On Summoner Spells, I've enjoyed some success using Taunt/Fortify as an offensive combo. Taunt will cause an enemy hero to draw the tower's aggro. If you can catch them unaware, you can easily score a kill this way. I'm sure people will wise up eventually, and choose to stay the hell away from you when you're near a tower, nevermind tower diving after a weak hero, but for the time being, most people don't seem to consider how much damage a Fortified Tower can make cause during a 3 second span of time, with most of their physical defense removed.

Mastery Routes, I'm not really sure. I'm only at level 12 and armor and regeneration runes are hard to come by, while I'm not having any trouble at all getting Magic Resis. Think I should take that as a sign?

Shirokuma

The Council

10-12-2009

I kinda laughed at not getting boots. That's probably the worst suggestion I've heard for Rammus in a long long time. You should be getting Ninja Tabi or Mercurys every game, depending on what you're going up against.

Highborne

10-12-2009

I have to agree with Shirokuma on boots.

I generally go Mercury as most games I've played as Rammus (using his godly item build) is heavy casters, plus I don't stack dodge runes so the tabi I find is a tad less useful compared to magic resist and a 40% less slows/snares.

Moreover, -40% cooldowns essentially 100% makes up for buying a Warden's Mail. 6 second taunt means they almost never get away from you.

If I were to build a Rammus after the Sunfire cape stacking nerf/fix I'd get a Frozen Mallet before a Sunfire cape so when I taunt, they stop, I hit once and I can 100% guarentee unless they flash...they will never escape me.

CnB84

10-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirokuma View Post
I kinda laughed at not getting boots. That's probably the worst suggestion I've heard for Rammus in a long long time. You should be getting Ninja Tabi or Mercurys every game, depending on what you're going up against.
I haven't had much of a problem. Sure, every now and then, the movespeed might have meant the difference between catching a hero or escaping, but usually I manage just fine depending upon Powerball for mobility and or escaping/catching. Maybe it'd be worth it to buy a cheap set of boots early, but I'd probably end up selling it if the game got real late.

Additionally, one technique that needs to be mentioned is using grass when performing a gank. Powerball builds up speed whether you're stationary or moving, so using the grass for cover and charging up is a good way to reduce enemy response time.

OctopusDropkick

10-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona Nox View Post
FYI, it might be bull****, but I keep hearing people saying Sunfire is being changed to a unique ability.
I can support that this will happen. It isn't a killer though, I think Sunfire will be modified slightly in an offensive manner to make up slightly for the change, but yeah, I don't expect it to be stackable in the near future with the upcoming patch. It's cool though. There is always Thornmail.