[Guide] Rammus-The Rolley Polley Ball of Awesome.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bloodba7h

10-01-2009

Philo's Stone is one of those items that has the benefits of being good in almost every case, but isn't the right choice in almost all situations. There are worse things to spend your money on, and there are definitely better things. It's the happy medium.

Get it if you don't know the items you should get on a character.

@ Camilla:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch Notes
Philosopher Stone
  • Reduced Health Regen from 28 to 22.5 per 5
  • Reduced Mana Regen from 12 to 10 per 5

Kadabra

10-02-2009

new Thornmail: "Now reflects damage calculated before Armor"

does it work better then the older one ?
did someone test it on rammus?

MrToasty

10-02-2009

Nice guide. It's very close to my own play style, including items. Works wonders at pushing.

Two things I do differently that increase my survivability are:

1.) Stack +dodge % runes. With Ninja Tabi you get 22% dodge, it keeps you in the fray MUCH longer. Plus it's funny to dodge ults.

2.) I always 1 lvl of powerball in the beginning, but otherwise see no need to lvl it until the end. Each point into it only increases damg, while if you spent that on defensive curl, you gain +damg, +mag res., and +armor. This makes early pushes much more feasible. Add the additional dodge % to that and you'll have the other team reeling.

I usually never end up with more than 2300 life and it still take 3 to take me down. I'll try out your hp regen idea next game.

great job.

Krald

10-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadabra View Post
new Thornmail: "Now reflects damage calculated before Armor"

does it work better then the older one ?
did someone test it on rammus?

It ABSOLUTELY works better than before. It's ridiculous now, and should be gotten every single game, even if there are no carries on the other team. Basically it takes the damage that would have been done to you without your armor, and reflects it back to the attacker (what it says) So, if their attack power is 200 when they are attacking you, they are getting hit by 40 (20% of 200) but you are still taking 75-80% reduced damage! Item is awesome now!

Krald

10-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrToasty View Post
Nice guide. It's very close to my own play style, including items. Works wonders at pushing.

Two things I do differently that increase my survivability are:

1.) Stack +dodge % runes. With Ninja Tabi you get 22% dodge, it keeps you in the fray MUCH longer. Plus it's funny to dodge ults.

2.) I always 1 lvl of powerball in the beginning, but otherwise see no need to lvl it until the end. Each point into it only increases damg, while if you spent that on defensive curl, you gain +damg, +mag res., and +armor. This makes early pushes much more feasible. Add the additional dodge % to that and you'll have the other team reeling.

I usually never end up with more than 2300 life and it still take 3 to take me down. I'll try out your hp regen idea next game.

great job.
Well the thing is the increased burst damage can help out in early game kills, and also remember that the slow increases with each level. this allows you to get in a few auto attacks while they are running and taunt right at the end. Your choice, and you definitely have a solid point, but I prefer to take advantage of the damage bonus.

Krald

10-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodba7h View Post
Philo's Stone is one of those items that has the benefits of being good in almost every case, but isn't the right choice in almost all situations. There are worse things to spend your money on, and there are definitely better things. It's the happy medium.

Get it if you don't know the items you should get on a character.

@ Camilla:
I would say this better sums up my thoughts, I just usually come down hard on the philo stone arguement.

It's pretty much there as a filler for folks can't figure out what to get just yet, but I've never seen a top player get on a hero they knew what they were doing on, and I only got it on rammus my first game. And now that its nerfed pretty decently...uhhh, yeah. Don't think I'll ever get it again.

Ghostraider

10-02-2009

I've been playing Rammus quite alot lately he is one of my favourite characters chalice is a must in the early to mid game he needs all the mana regen he can get. I usually start off with meki pendant + 2 Health potions then dependant on who I am facing go with ninja tabi and rush Warmog's for heavy melee team and for casters Mercury Treads an early Banshee's is a must.

The new Thornmail seems to pretty good probably be my 3rd or 4th choice item in a mixed or heavy melee team.

To MrToasty your gimping your Rammus early game by not taking several ranks powerball
it offers big damage increase which helps with Rammus farming creeps and getting the odd kill or two.

Shirokuma

The Council

10-02-2009

Currently playing Rammus with Warmogs, Ninja Tabi, 2x Sunfire Capes, Frozen Heart, and Soul Shroud. 3 Sunfire Capes if someone else on my team gets the Shroud. It's pretty lulz.

Krald

10-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirokuma View Post
Currently playing Rammus with Warmogs, Ninja Tabi, 2x Sunfire Capes, Frozen Heart, and Soul Shroud. 3 Sunfire Capes if someone else on my team gets the Shroud. It's pretty lulz.
We play pretty different, and while I hate stacking sunfire capes as its boring and keeps me from more important stuff, frozen heart is just awesome on him. I will probably make it into my core build now. Soul shroud is straight, just doesn't give armor (I'm pretty hesitent to fill up a single slot that doesn't give rammus armor, especially with the thornmail change) You know how I feel about rushing warmogs, and you also know how I feel about you having so many mana problems throughout most of the game because of you not going chalice..

I guess I've never really played rammus with you, or, at least played when my computer wasn't running 5 fps and I was falling asleep. I'll have to play a few games playing him to see if you like the way my build looks like it works, and i recommend you try it out too man.

Zeyk

10-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krald View Post
It ABSOLUTELY works better than before. It's ridiculous now, and should be gotten every single game, even if there are no carries on the other team. Basically it takes the damage that would have been done to you without your armor, and reflects it back to the attacker (what it says) So, if their attack power is 200 when they are attacking you, they are getting hit by 40 (20% of 200) but you are still taking 75-80% reduced damage! Item is awesome now!
Well, is it mitigated by their armor?