[Guide] Rammus-The Rolley Polley Ball of Awesome.

123456 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmecssRaege

09-18-2009

if you were to go for -CD on rammus, *personally* i'd highly prefer soul shroud, as it benefits you in a great way (600hp and much needed mana regen and -15% cd) but giving -15% to your whole team as well is in combination amazing to say the least :3

Although frozen heart is a nice item, soul shroud also is quite a bit cheaper too IIRC like 400-700 gold cheaper

Krald

09-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddiz View Post
I like it, will test it soon.

You don't like Frozen Heart, though?
Never tried it. If I had to guess, I feel it would decrease the rate that people attack me, obviously, making them deal less damage to me but also less damage to themselves. Because Def Curl does a fixed amount of return damage, and thornmail adds to it, I like the enemy to attack me a lot. Does that sound stupid?

But of course, the aura helping out my teamates and especially the cooldown reduction couldn't be bad at all.

Krald

09-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmecssRaege View Post
The thing about starting with doran's shield is this:

Is it a good item?
Yes it is, the doran's shield and ring are both very nice

But...it only sells back for 50%, and because at current state it doesnt build into anything...you are losing 207ish 2xx gold buying it, when you could have bought something like regrowth pendant which will pack more regen, and can be built into your warmogs (or philosiphs stone)

I might be a penny pincher in this game maybe, but i try to get as much gold out of every game as possible, as income is directly related to a characters success in any given game
You really are a penny pincher if I've ever seen one.

Truth be told, and no bragging here, but I simply have not had a game with Rammus in which I got less than 15 kills, and less than 10 assists, and I always push incredibly well, therefore I havn't exactly experienced a game where money was 'tight' by any means. I dont really see it as losing anything, because many times as I said, I don't even finish warmogs in games.

Perhaps I would have to have a game against some really incredible players where I wasn't getting 21178231 kills every minute to feed me beyond belief to test your thoughts.

Krald

09-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirth the Decisive View Post
I play Rammus the vast majority of the time and I would agree with at least 90% of your guide.

I use basically the same rune choices but with Fortify and Heal for skills, usually. It's a conservative choice, but the fortify mastery helps with farming and I just like the extra heal. Nothing against ghost or cleanse though, ghost would be my 3rd choice if someone else takes fortify on my team.

Can't really argue with the skill analysis, it's bang on. I usually balance taunt and curl because both are so handy.

I completely agree both on not stacking sunfire and getting the ninja tabi. I have never done too little area damage or found myself too slow once I had one of each.

I usually go with a different item build and start with a regrowth pendant, though I never really considered starting with Doran's shield. I will very soon.
- Chalice yes
- Tabi double yes
This is when I go a really different route. I like to stack as much HP regen as possible with Warmog, Warden and Force of Nature (as well as Sunfire). The order really depends on the flow of the game, but in the end I wind up with so much HP regen that it takes a 4 on 1 to kill me. I can completely ignore any less than 3 champions attacking me, which usually causes enough frustration that the other team ignores the rest of my team until they've managed to drive me off or kill me. It's not a high killcount strategy, but I have no problem winning with 6/4/30 or whatever. People who like to kill heroes probably would prefer your build.

I was happy to see no changes with Rammus. He's very balanced and requires a lot of practice to play well. I still have the occasional game when I'm either too aggressive or not aggressive enough and wind up warming the respawn bench frequently.
I definitely think that's much more suited to more non-aggressive playstyles, and that choice gives you great staying power for lanes more-so than it does killing-power. I see Rammus as a very non-traditional tank in the sense that, like amumu, he rewards players for being aggressive, and with the right summoner spells, which you also forgo for decent reasons, he can get out of sticky situations easily.

I'd say your build is much less selfish than mine

IS1e883559891e70

09-18-2009

I justed tested your guide. It rocked like hell. I could easily take on 2 attack champion although i was on 1/2 HP. really nice guide

Krald

09-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xell View Post
I justed tested your guide. It rocked like hell. I could easily take on 2 attack champion although i was on 1/2 HP. really nice guide
Awesome bro good to hear

Definitely encourage people to check it out even if you are skeptical about the health issues early game.

huggers

09-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krald View Post
Boots of Swiftness vs Ninja Tabi
Yet another annoying trait of many Rammus players. Instead of going for the amazing armor and dodge benefits that come from ninja tabi, every player I've ever seen goes for boots of swiftness. This could be due to the fact that it is a recommended item, which is fine, but lets not forget that we have Powerball as our movement technique! Yes, boots of swiftness increase that speed, but you don't need it! Powerball easily with Ninja tabi reaches speeds of 700 ms at its top clocked speed without any other assistance, and the early armor/dodge bonus is huge with your role as a tank.
One simple reason why i use the boots of swiftness instead of the tabi is because its way more easy to chase enemies with activated tremors.

Enemy champions can flee way to easy from your tremors and with boots of switftness they dont get away from your area of effect.

Just my two cents

Edit:
The new item with attackdmg, -speed and +armor (passive: 2% dmg from max. hp) is a really good item for Rammus too in my opinion.

Krald

09-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggers View Post
One simple reason why i use the boots of swiftness instead of the tabi is because its way more easy to chase enemies with activated tremors.

Enemy champions can flee way to easy from your tremors and with boots of switftness they dont get away from your area of effect.

Just my two cents

Edit:
The new item with attackdmg, -speed and +armor (passive: 2% dmg from max. hp) is a really good item for Rammus too in my opinion.
Which is exactly why I always have the neutral reptile buff before seriously attempting a gank midgame. Also, warden's mail further addresses this issue.

RamboBatman

09-19-2009

I've recently started playing a lot of Rammus and have been running an end build much like this one. However, I'm not great at killing (unless they're stupid enough to come near my tower) so for the mid game I generate as much money as possible through the 5g/10sec items. Heart of Gold is pretty fantastic, it costs 1000 to build, generates cash and gives you both armor and hp to help your tanking. Most importantly, it sells back for 700, meaning it only takes 10 mins for it to break even. I usually will buy two of these after my ninja tabi to generate me money until I need slots for the other armors.

KuraM

09-19-2009

It's a very nice build, a completely different way then I usually play Rammus, but not really worse. When I play, I get the mana regen item first (the one that leads up to soul shroud) and then i build up soul shroud. Ive always gotten the boots of swiftness because of 2 reasons:

A. Ive never played Rammus as a tank, so I always valued the extra movement boost
B. Ive never tried Tabi, but i think i will now.

After i get boots of swiftness and soul shroud, i start to build up abysall scepter. After scepter, if the game even lasts that long, id go. For my runes i stack a page of -cooldown (the static runes, its like 14.88%) and then -cooldown talents, with flash and heal as my summoner spells. I can ult every like 30-40 seconds at max rank, and my roll ends up doing tons of damage, as well as my ult (and the thorns on my curl gives tons extra dmg). PS, roll gets 1:1 AP so it can get very strong. Also with flash, if enemies surround themselves with creeps, i can just flash on them and the roll hits them, then i taunt/curl/ult combo to totally wreck them. By the time taunt is over, they start to run, and my Roll is already coming off CD again (thanks to the -CD runes/masteries and soul shroud.). The only thing wrong with my build is soul shroud isnt enough mana regen early on.

I actually learnt this build watching an amumu use it, and figured id give it a whirl on rammus, and i used to get tons of kills (and multiple double/triples) per round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirth the Decisive View Post
I was happy to see no changes with Rammus. He's very balanced and requires a lot of practice to play well. I still have the occasional game when I'm either too aggressive or not aggressive enough and wind up warming the respawn bench frequently.
Me as well, the only thing i was unhappy was when they nerfed his curl and his ult damage, but it wasnt a very high number, it was still a nerf.

123456 ... 12