[Guide] Rammus-The Rolley Polley Ball of Awesome.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Adalonus

12-13-2009

Just played on of my best games with this guy last night. Of course my team sucked (we had 4 carries and our teemo would bum rush ashe/nassus when he was two and they were six... awesome), but I went 18-8-7 on the game. The only reason I reached 8 was because I was suicide bombing them in the end for fun. ANY high dps carry is screwed on this build, there is just no stopping Roll, ulti, smack, smack, taunt, curl, combo. Solo'd a fed twitch and a yi and it was like they werent even there. quick port back to town and i'm full hp and back at it.

I discarded the chalice. Mana isnt a problem because you can port back to town. Your items are cheap and you drop by enough to refill when you need to. Also i used teleport/ignite for some fun kill and unexpected damage on enemies (500 damage/5sec is very suprising to someone as squishy as eve or yi).

Great build and lots of fun. If you get ahead of the pack, you are unstoppable

9.5/10

Krald

12-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalonus View Post
Just played on of my best games with this guy last night. Of course my team sucked (we had 4 carries and our teemo would bum rush ashe/nassus when he was two and they were six... awesome), but I went 18-8-7 on the game. The only reason I reached 8 was because I was suicide bombing them in the end for fun. ANY high dps carry is screwed on this build, there is just no stopping Roll, ulti, smack, smack, taunt, curl, combo. Solo'd a fed twitch and a yi and it was like they werent even there. quick port back to town and i'm full hp and back at it.

I discarded the chalice. Mana isnt a problem because you can port back to town. Your items are cheap and you drop by enough to refill when you need to. Also i used teleport/ignite for some fun kill and unexpected damage on enemies (500 damage/5sec is very suprising to someone as squishy as eve or yi).

9.5/10
Ha, thanks. The chalice is simply for early-mid game usage, and the cheap magic resist. You can't really ignore the ability to constantly keep taunt and rolly polly going. But yeah, glad you enjyoed it

Zakkeh

12-15-2009

My very first game of LoL...And I win using this build 16-0-11 and had about 5k left over. We even had a leaver around lvl 15 and fed the enemy first blood within the first few seconds...Either this game is much simpler to HoN or this guy is easy

Krald

12-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakkeh View Post
My very first game of LoL...And I win using this build 16-0-11 and had about 5k left over. We even had a leaver around lvl 15 and fed the enemy first blood within the first few seconds...Either this game is much simpler to HoN or this guy is easy
ha, rammus is just awesome. The problem is your facing some absolute noobs at your level, rank up in the ELOs ratings and your scores will be much more subtle. Usually you will get a modest amount of kills, low deaths, and a huge amount of assists. Unless you just get lucky with last hits on heroes or something.

SgtSausage

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorChipHazzard View Post
You're going to need Chalice of Harmony against real players for the magic resistance if anything. Also probably the mana too.

Anyways, I learned a lot about rammus from this guide and really appreciate how well thought out it is. However, in maybe 50 games as Rammus since live between this account and my smurf, I've modified the item build and I find it works a lot better in higher-elo games this way:

Starting: Doran's shield+health potion
Chalice
Mercury's Treads (Tabi can be justified if there are 3+ physical carries)
Sunfire Cape
Warden's Mail/Sunfire Cape/Frozen Heart
Banshee's Veil (You can just buy Negatron Cloak and move on to the next item if their magic damage is low, but the health and spellblock from the full veil is worth it.)
Warden's Mail/Sunfire Cape/Frozen Heart (whichever you didn't pick first)

Justification:

- I dropped thornmail because its damage is honestly not very great on Rammus. Especially when you start getting a lot of armor. It's good midgame if you buy it early, but I find it delays sunfire too long and Rammus is rather strong midgame without it anyways.

- Your build is very low on magic resist and raw health. Especially if you make Ninja Tabi. Any decent team is going to burn your really low health down with nukes and completely ignore you with their physical attacks, rendering Rammus worthless. So I've adjusted the build so that your magic resist is even to or about 70% of your armor at any stage in the game. I've found that the higher my ELO gets, the more magic resistance is absolutely necessary on Rammus and the more my auto-attack bonus from armor becomes negligible.

- Stacking Sunfires is bad, but having 2 Sunfires is actually quite advantageous in my experience. 3 is dumb.

- Aegis of the Legion is getting nerfed next patch, otherwise it would be in this build.
I like what you have here, rammus is my main and i combined lots of different builds to one that i like.

I am considering changing to some of the suggestions that you have but want to know your opinion first?

Build
start - rejuvenate bond (spelling? it gives plus 14 heath regen)
build into philosopher stone
then ninja tabi or mercury treads depending on team
then 2 heart of golds
then sunfire cape
Gaurdian Angle
then banshee vail/frozen heart/force of nature

I might consider wardains mail as FON doesn't seem to useful. i normally get banshee first after guardian angle.

The main item i am considering switching is dorians shield and chalice instead of philosophers stone. I dont have mana problems generally i have some in runes so i have to recall alot but i have teleport and cleanse and powerball so i can get anywhere fast.

Just want your opinion on my build, thanks.

Sihaya

01-03-2010

I consider myself as a not noob and not so pro player so take this as you want ^^

Item:
-Rejuvenation pendant
--> philosopher stone asap
-mobility boots (early game is quite nice to run across the map, if too many disabler, more than 2 in fact, i go for mercury thread)
-thornmail (can't go over this one if 2 big DPS or more, really hopefull against trynd, shaco or heavy liche bane users like eve or veigar)
-warmog armor (you are going to take a lot of dmg, some extra health is good for what you will take) -----> btw, you can sell your philosopher stone by this point

*choose among those depending on your partners and the opposite team:
-frozen heart (lot of swift dps? ex: teemo, twitch, jax, ashe etc...=
-banshee veil (lot of disablers?)
-guardian angel(too many magic? die often? really late game?)
-sunfire cape (if you last long enough to make it useful or if you want to farm even more easily)
-warden's mail (find this one usefull and cheap...)

Against a majority of fighters, I will just simply ignore the magus and go for a full Armor set as my taunt + high dmg can get rid of the magus. ARMOR SET:
-Tabi (can be trade end game, if you want to really be a ****in tank, for a Force of Nature)
-thornmail
-sunfire
-frozen heart
-warden's mail
-warmog

Balanced Set (for fighting against an average team composition):
-Mercury's tread (same trade option with aegis of legion but i wouldnt recommend this trade, 40% less disable is better imo)
-thornmail
- Force Of Nature
-Warmog
-Banshee's Veil
-guardian angel

Masteries:
defense (no dodge plz, its rammus not jax) + utility, matter of taste....

Runes (prefer the "per level" runes as they are more efficient mid and late game):
-Red -> armor penetration is good but magic penetration too. matter of taste again, I would go for magic penetration as I play a caster on my second page so I don't have to buy runes again ^^
-Yellow -> magic resist or armor, I go for armor. No dodge and only primary runes
-Blue -> magic resist AND cooldown. guys, a 5s cd on the taunt is just sweet
-Purple -> Movement Speed + CD + CD (5s taunt!)

summoner's skills:
-cleanse
-ghost or heal, i personnally take the heal for the team. I have to try the ghost though

Skills:
1- taunt / curl ball (taste... taunt if you are with a shaco and his jack in a box for exemple... let him stack 2 or 3 in a bush then wait. result guaranteed
2- curl ball / taunt
3- taunt
4- roll
5- curl ball
6- tremor
7- taunt
etc... taunt lvl 5 first, roll last to be leveled.

Why the roll only at lvl4? I've never tried at level 1 because it costs too much mana (one roll = 1 taunt + 1 curl) so I guess I have to try before saying which one is the best.

Early game Strategy: this will depend on your partner I guess but I play defensive usually and totally agree on you on the turret part. taunt = dead. so wait for them. Prefer to go on a lane against 2 melee DPS. avoid annie for example
When you have 990gold (assuming you bought the rejuv pendant at 475gold) TP back and buy philosopher stone + boot 1. then start to go somewhere else with another disabler and roll + taunt + disable from your partner and bam, no more champ. try not to go against someone that has flash.
When you are lvl6, see if you have other opportunities like this one (no miss + one guy alone) if not then farm. Don't worry to use your ultimate on a creep wave.

Krald

02-04-2010

why would you post a guide in my guide? Not to be rude, but make your own thread lol..

And I'll choose not to comment on your item build flaws and such, as those are addressed in my own posts throughout the thread

Krald

02-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalonus View Post

9.5/10
Chalice is needed. I can't tell you how useful this item is, and how good it is for the cheap MR. There have been very rare occasions where I would toss it late late game, but very rarely.

domin8blunts

02-06-2010

thanks for writing this guide
iz nice

Hoywolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-15-2010

Great guide! Rammus is one of my favorite tanks as well, great mitigation and good in overall teamfights!

Your guide has great insight, I have reconsidered getting 2 sunfire capes now and focusing on other items as you suggested.