Sound Echo and Freeze

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nashquil

09-16-2011

Hey there, I searched this forum and others but were unable to find a solution my problem. Hero voices, announcer voice and some ability sounds just keeps on echoing and freezes screen for 1-3 seconds. Things I have tried so far;
Updated sound drivers
Turned off integral microphone
Turned off everything that might be using sound
Tried to repair from the client menu

And none of these helped. I am pretty sure this started with the patch before that and is not fixed yet.

BelligerentSwan

Sr. Sound Designer

09-16-2011
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Hey Nashquil,

To be clear this is a sound issue and not a performance issue, can you do a double check and disable all sounds in game and see if the problem with freezing still persists?

You can do this when you first load into the match by Hitting Escape, then selecting Sound --> Disable All Sound --> OK. If your screen is still freezing during these messages than it would probably be related to performance and not related to sound. But if the freezing screen goes away, it may indeed be a sound issue we can look into.

Either way, please let me know what you experience when disabling the sound, and hopefully we can help you get this resolved.

Nashquil

09-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelligerentSwan View Post
Hey Nashquil,

To be clear this is a sound issue and not a performance issue, can you do a double check and disable all sounds in game and see if the problem with freezing still persists?

You can do this when you first load into the match by Hitting Escape, then selecting Sound --> Disable All Sound --> OK. If your screen is still freezing during these messages than it would probably be related to performance and not related to sound. But if the freezing screen goes away, it may indeed be a sound issue we can look into.

Either way, please let me know what you experience when disabling the sound, and hopefully we can help you get this resolved.
Game does not freeze when all sound is disabled. It freezes for a few seconds when I enable all sound, but does not stutter or freeze when I disable it. Tested for a full game with sound disabled and did not freeze or stutter.

BelligerentSwan

Sr. Sound Designer

09-16-2011
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Thanks Nashquill,

I know there were some issues earlier this week that we were seeing with the announcer not playing, so this may be related to that as well. But it could also be something entirely different. Either way I'll try to dig a little deeper and see if we can find out what is going on.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Nashquil

09-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelligerentSwan View Post
Thanks Nashquill,

I know there were some issues earlier this week that we were seeing with the announcer not playing, so this may be related to that as well. But it could also be something entirely different. Either way I'll try to dig a little deeper and see if we can find out what is going on.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Sure, please remember to post here if you can come up with a solution that I can fix from my side without a patch, game is just unplayable for me now.

Thanks for the quick replies, keep up the good work!

Nashquil

09-18-2011

After formatting and reloading everything with latest updates, problem went away. I am pretty sure it was not from your side though, probably something caused that from my side. Thanks a lot for your concern.

Zaane

09-19-2011

I am getting the same issues. I uninstalled and reinstalled from scratch and it did NOT fix my issues that are identical to Nashquil's. It also happens to a brother of mine on the other side of the US.

Edit: two complete games played with all sounds disabled....no issues at all...must be lol client

Nashquil

09-27-2011

Now after patching the game, problem just returned. My best bet is patcher somehow corrupts some files. Always echoes when announcer says anything, and freezes way more often now. Also started to echo on some ability sounds, on abilities that hero makes a sound(that effort sound of Riven on her leaping attack, for example), not on effects. Also freezes started to be longer, it freezes with no hero in sight, and returns when I got my half health pwned, my guess is around 3-5 seconds. Once again repair did nothing and I really do not feel like formatting every week. I do not think it is a performance issue as I can play other games without any problems. Just to add more info about it, I play from a laptop, HP dv6 6020, if it is of any help. 8 mbps internet connection.

Since problems started with the first Dominion update, my gut tells me it is something about that, but you guys are the expert.

xMyLastResortx

12-25-2011

I'm having this same issue, except the problem persists even when sound is disabled. My computer is VERY good and this problem started after recent patches. Please help

Deftblades

03-14-2012

I have same EXACT problem.. Tried all the same fixes too. I thought this game runs better on alienware... least that what they say lol.