@Riot - Why use Adobe Air?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sideswing

09-19-2011

I also agree that it's a huge resource hog but I'm running an X2 220 dual core and it's not really hogging all my CPU. I can still see it in the background using random amounts at times, though. I wish there were ways we ourselves could optimize it, I optimize my entire OS to the bare bone and keep my background processes to a bare minimum and I still get some glitchy lag when using the AIR client sometimes.

Sometimes it'll randomly freeze and you can't click on anything so you've got to restart. Othertimes it shows the wrong figures for your total IP. Does the ignore feature even work anymore?

I don't like Abode AIR. ;d

boourns

UI Designer

09-19-2011
4 of 7 Riot Posts

@JiggaHERTZ my interpretation of that is that image is you're tracking a single thread for LoLClient and the 100% is of a single logical processor of 12 available hyperthreaded logical processors. There is definitely something wrong there if this is coming up in game and others are seeing similar issues. I see and avg. of 11% of 2 logical/physical cores used after the riven patch (which is way higher than is should be), but nowhere near as bad as you.

Are you talking to anyone else at Riot about this yet? Would also like to see both the LoLClient and game client graphs from the same game if possible.

Hohums has been suggesting that people lower the priority of the air client before playing. I doubt that will affect the graph as much (since the AIR client seems to be trying to take as much as it can), but it may help your low game frame rate.

ShadeeFan

09-19-2011

@JiggaHERTZ Yeah it is fixed by going to task manager, Right clicking LoLClient.exe, going to Priority, and setting it to low. This has to be done everytime you launch the PvP.net Client.

Wooblez

09-19-2011

@boourns is there any way for you to find out if they've made any breakthrough at all? We haven't heard from a red on the issue in 5 days and this is plaguing a ton of people currently on both NA and EU servers.

Bluetane

09-19-2011

I thought it would be useful to help out by posting my own performance monitor from a windows vista 64bit system

Edit: this is just the client sitting idle on my desktop if needed I can get one while the game is running

JiggaHERTZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
@JiggaHERTZ my interpretation of that is that image is you're tracking a single thread for LoLClient and the 100% is of a single logical processor of 12 available hyperthreaded logical processors. There is definitely something wrong there if this is coming up in game and others are seeing similar issues. I see and avg. of 11% of 2 logical/physical cores used after the riven patch (which is way higher than is should be), but nowhere near as bad as you.

Are you talking to anyone else at Riot about this yet? Would also like to see both the LoLClient and game client graphs from the same game if possible.

Hohums has been suggesting that people lower the priority of the air client before playing. I doubt that will affect the graph as much (since the AIR client seems to be trying to take as much as it can), but it may help your low game frame rate.
The image shows the total amount of all system CPU resources used. I have HT disabled in my BIOS because the work I do is very processor hungry and not a good candidate for parallelization. So I am running just a flat six cores and at some point it seems to peg all of them at once while in a game. I have also seen some odd behavior just watching while the client is open, I've only seen it once, but the client started to pull some .dll's from other running programs into its thread list, I plan on running procmon to see if it happens again.

You are the only one that I have talked to about this issue. If anyone else wants to contact me, let me know if you need more information, my e-mail address is the same one I signed up with, and I am also available using google talk. I'll setup a graph the next game I play.

In the screenshot I attached earlier I noted that the AIR client had been set to a priority level of Idle. That doesn't seem to help, but if I close the AIR client while in game, I have no problems.

As I said earlier if anyone wants to contact me I'm happy to talk. I also have some development and debug tools installed. So if you want any process memory dumps I should be able to help. I have a BSc in Computer Science and I am a PhD candidate in Computational Chemistry, so I know my way around any tools you might want me to use to give you the best information I can.

Exsnypre

09-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggaHERTZ View Post
The image shows the total amount of all system CPU resources used. I have HT disabled in my BIOS because the work I do is very processor hungry and not a good candidate for parallelization. So I am running just a flat six cores and at some point it seems to peg all of them at once while in a game. I have also seen some odd behavior just watching while the client is open, I've only seen it once, but the client started to pull some .dll's from other running programs into its thread list, I plan on running procmon to see if it happens again.

You are the only one that I have talked to about this issue. If anyone else wants to contact me, let me know if you need more information, my e-mail address is the same one I signed up with, and I am also available using google talk. I'll setup a graph the next game I play.

In the screenshot I attached earlier I noted that the AIR client had been set to a priority level of Idle. That doesn't seem to help, but if I close the AIR client while in game, I have no problems.

As I said earlier if anyone wants to contact me I'm happy to talk. I also have some development and debug tools installed. So if you want any process memory dumps I should be able to help. I have a BSc in Computer Science and I am a PhD candidate in Computational Chemistry, so I know my way around any tools you might want me to use to give you the best information I can.
Considering the amount of effort you're putting in to solve this issue, you may want to put together your resume and ask for a job, seriously.

JiggaHERTZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2011

Here is the requested graph of the AIR client and game running at the same time.

I forgot to set LolClient.exe to idle this time so its running as a normal priority process. The lag started around the time minions spawned and the CPU was tapped out so bad that at some points I was getting sub-1fps. Input was extremely lagged when I could actually issue move commands.

Tried another game before this one, I closed the AIR client as soon as I started loading into the game and it was silky smooth, 150+ fps.

JiggaHERTZ

09-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
@JiggaHERTZ my interpretation of that is that image is you're tracking a single thread for LoLClient and the 100% is of a single logical processor of 12 available hyperthreaded logical processors.
You are right on this, I just double checked and the graph is only showing the work for one core. But looking at the CPU usage history in the task manager, the AIR client is utilizing all 6 cores to 100% so it doesn't seem to really matter if its just showing the one core, its having the same heavy load on all cores.

Edit: Added picture of Task Manager showing nearly full usage of CPU by the AIR client.

The Awesome Twin

09-19-2011

And interesting twist I noticed last night was that my client (which I close when starting a game) sits between 30 - 60%, I have a 2.1Ghz Centrino. I thought it a bit weird that people with more powerful CPUs than me are being maxed out while mine is just being heavily used.