@Riot - Why use Adobe Air?

First Riot Post
12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wackenov

09-16-2011

Hey, I just have a few questions about the frontend being developed with Adobe Air. I understand that I am no expert on the subject. I am a brand new programmer with nothing more than a basic fundamental understanding on the matter.

However, from what I can tell, Adobe Air is mainly justifiable for use due to its ability to be used cross-platform. It made sense a little until you dropped Mac support. Now that Mac OS has been scrapped, wouldn't it be beneficial to switch to something native? Something that can access Windows APIs and be optimized better and with more control?

I'm sure this has been posted before, so if somebody could point me to the explanation on this matter I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the work that you do, Riot. You have inspired me to become a software developer. In fact, my first application, MinionStats, is related to this game!

This post is not one of hate. I am simply curious as to why Riot continues to use a platform that(in my opinion) is holding you back. High switching costs is not a valid argument. Those costs will only increase as your framework expands.

Raskul

09-16-2011

I'm with this guy.

The whole front end is such a big resource hog. I don't feel it's optimized in any way and uses substantial computer resources while in game. There really needs to be a better way to make PVP.net "go away" while in-game.

HondaCivic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-16-2011

I agree, this has been my biggest gripe with this game since i installed it.

Dmon3y26

09-16-2011

I agree with this.

AngryHumping

09-16-2011

How about why you need to have four processes running simultaneously for a 2 map lite game. There are many symptoms of the terrible backend decisions made. The whole operating is clunky as **** and it shows.

boourns

UI Designer

09-16-2011
1 of 7 Riot Posts

The current version of the Mac client done by an external company was discontinued, but that doesn't mean we are never going to have a mac client.

Also, the PvP.net team has invested significant time in making sure the AIR client is idle while in game and continues to try to improve it.

The decision to go with AIR was made long before my time with Riot so I can't tell you the original motivation for going with it.

Yokel85

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Also, the PvP.net team has invested significant time in making sure the AIR client is idle while in game and continues to try to improve it.
100% CPU time is not idle.

AllenEX

09-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokel85 View Post
100% CPU time is not idle.
Valid point right here.

@Red: Could you ask Morello or Tryndamere why? I'm sure they'll know. Shoot 'em an email or somethin'.

boourns

UI Designer

09-16-2011
2 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenEX View Post
Valid point right here.

@Red: Could you ask Morello or Tryndamere why? I'm sure they'll know. Shoot 'em an email or somethin'.
I LOL'd.

BTW if the AIR client took 100% while you were playing the game... you wouldn't be playing the game. If you can provide more details and slightly less hyperbole I can pass it on, hohums is actively working this issue right now.

Yokel85

09-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
I LOL'd.

BTW if the AIR client took 100% while you were playing the game... you wouldn't be playing the game. If you can provide more details and slightly less hyperbole I can pass it on, hohums is actively working this issue right now.
Nah, hyperbole is all I got. I'm not seeing that issue.

12345 ... 6