Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

the beta

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TaziTheSlayer

09-17-2011

Quote:
Jadarok:
If we want to get nit-picky...I think 30 days after Pax can still be fairly considered "soon after" I don't think it's fair for us to get the pitch forks until like October 1st.

haha! agreed

bethebunny

09-17-2011

Quote:
Shini Laser:
A little, but do realize that is 5 lines in Java when LoL is millions of lines of code in Adobe Air and lots of animations and other **** that makes it much more complex and trying to handle so many people at the same time with several servers that must communicate efficiently with each other.

Firstly, there aren't "millions of lines of code" in Adobe Air. If there were, you can bet your ass they wouldn't be dropping the Mac client, since Adobe Air is cross-platform, but there also wouldn't be a game to begin with, since Air is a massive POS that they shouldn't even be using for their UI, let alone would be capable of building a whole game.

Second, as someone with a degree in computer science and years of industry coding experience, I can tell you that they do in fact pretty much suck at coding. I work on a team of 10 people who have a more complicated, more fleshed-out product with fewer bugs than LoL does after about 10 months of work. My favorite bug I've seen recently in LoL, which has been around for at least a few patches, is that the patcher progress bar occasionally shows negative values for _both minutes and seconds_. This isn't even possible if you just follow idiomatic code, you'd need to massively overcomplicate it to even have a chance, not to mention writing your own formatting code (programming today is all about using libraries, even in some terrible environment like AIR). Not to mention the rune page fiasco. How was that not just changing one variable from a 2 to a 9? Someone, somewhere was asked to build a boat, cut a few hundred corners and ended up with a paper mache hat. Only explanation I can think of.

That being said, Riot has one of the best design teams I've ever seen, both for art and for gameplay. It's just that the design for Dominion has been complete (as far as I am aware, they may be holding something back) for weeks, and the code appears to be done (the videos at PAX, despite Spectator Mode failing spectacularly, seemed to be working ok, minus a few random sprite offsets when spectator mode relaunched. I have no idea why the don't just start games now. It's not like it would be any more buggy or poorly balanced than original beta/launch LoL was.

Shini Laser

09-17-2011

So you are claiming that you and your team could code LoL in 10 minutes bug free? Okay, you should be applying for Riot then. Except, it can't be done in 10 minutes. Hell, if they could program games as complicated as LoL in 10 minutes, why aren't they participating in Ludum Dare? They should be able to take first place every time! Even the UI, doubt that is 10 minutes unless you start with a good amount of templates.

The patch problem, I have no idea, I will understand that. Honestly, though, it is a /very/ minor bug. And what the hell are you talking "rune page fiasco"? I remember there being problems with mastery pages, but never rune pages, and I been playing for a while. I tried to look up what thing you were talking about, and closest I could get was relating to the Rune Page Bundles.

The reason why Riot said they can't release it yet is not due to Dominion itself, it is due to the servers intracommunication. Been at least 3-4 red posts on this.

Yetiss

09-17-2011

Uhh Months...he said months...not minutes...but nice try, you really thought you had a valid post there so..

Voba

09-17-2011

Quote:
Brackhar:
I don't think we ever said "In august" just "shortly after PAX." Remember PAX was already like the last weekend of August in the first place.

U know if u gave me a free gentlemen chogath to celebrate my birthday i will NEVER play dominion while in europe.

Illverdict

09-18-2011

I'd think the defintion of soon would be 1-2 months haven't any of you played an online game before seriously, they may have milked the media coverage more then they should of for that but it's a free to play game your only paying if you want a skin or are impationt cause you can't save up enough ip to buy a champion you want.Unfortunatley there putting out a beta so you can play it but that's like giving a kid that's haveing a tantrum what he wants you do that and now they think that's the only way they will ever get anything from now on. But w/e that's just my opinion.

Seishi88

Recruiter

09-18-2011

Why the delay? WTF?

heavensblade23

09-18-2011

Quote:
Nicolas Bourbaki:
Tried to make a thread about this, but a window popped up and wouldn't let me. Instead of putting Dominion up during 'off-peak hours', what about giving every regular player a code that lets them play a single game? Or if that's not feasible, what about unlocking the mode for a couple hundred people, adding more each day as the servers permit? I don't think it's unreasonable to say that any hour is going to become peak as soon as the beta's announced. Either folks are gonna be pissed the only time to play Dominion is when they're physically unable to, or because they stayed up all night for a 30 minute login queue.
I'm no sysadmin, but these methods sound like they would handle load in a much more predictable way, and would cut down QQ on this forum by about half.

You don't have to be a chef to know dinner is taking too long to hit the table.

iTzCoconutHead

09-18-2011

Quote:
Brackhar:
I don't think we ever said "In august" just "shortly after PAX." Remember PAX was already like the last weekend of August in the first place.

Trolling at its finest.

Lunatikx

09-18-2011

do a flip. mad kids are mad
you all sound irate