When is the right moment to join team fight as a melee DPS?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Virture

05-30-2010

When team fights start, two team may go back and forth between two towers. If one of the tanks initiates a team fight, when is the best moment for a melee squishy DPS to join the battle? I don't want to stand behind doing nothing and wait for the last hit. This mean your team can win without you. You are just the one to steal their kills. I feel bad with doing this.
So what do you guys think when is the best moment for a melee squishy DPS to join team fights?

Leirkov

05-30-2010

Depends what champion you are.

Even with my supreme range as Tristana, really late game when everyone pretty much as full item slots, I'm extremely cautious in moving because any mistake and my team loses their DPS machine for over a minute. You have to make sure your team knows what they're doing because if you have Teemo sitting over to the left but everyone's after Mundo for whatever reason then you're probably going to be raped by everyone else.

Wyvernfist

05-30-2010

On the flip side of that situation, you can always be the savior by targetting the squishies while the teams are distracted. I play Katarina and usually don't pop in on the main target, but the next squishy one. That way two enemies are dead and there's only 3 left to fight.

Lawful

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-30-2010

Depends, some Melee DPS are meant to clean up after everyone is worn out, like Master Yi for example, its never good for him to join start off because theres always a stun or exhaust with your name on it, so try to always break in there when its almost over to clean up or midway where their all concntreate on battle and you just go around picking off half-dead squishies.

Mellow X

05-30-2010

ITT: People who don't understand melee dps.

You jump in about 1/3 through the fight.
Conveniently after all the stuns/exhausts/CC are blown on the tank/others and not on you.
You bop in, score a pentakill, and bop out.

Or if you can't manage to kill them, know who you're fighting and a rough estimate of their cooldowns and bop out when they're ready to stun again. The bop back in.

tl;dr
Wait 5 seconds, bop in, fight for 3 seconds, bop out if they aren't dead/running, wait 2 seconds, bop in and finish whoevers left.

That's how it's meant to be done. Don't get shut down and get raped. Soon as 1 stun hits you, assume you're dead.