Taunt and Joke Spam

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MercuryRed

06-05-2010

Jay, and the rest of the sound team, you guys have done a wonderful job on League of Legends. I really appreciate the time you spend to listen to us as well.

I happen to be an application programmer myself. Nothing large scale like LoL, but I have enough knowledge (and a degree in the works at a top 10 university) to understand what you're talking about.

My question is, you guys fixed taunt spam by limiting character VO to a single channel per champion, correct? And this channel would be "locked" (I don't know FMOD, bear with my words ) until it finishes streaming the file, correct?

So what you did was a programmable fix. Meaning the fix for OPTIONAL taunt spam is extremely easy! Ask the UI team for an extra option to turn VO Spam on and off. Then, use that value to determine whether you should use the old code or the new code. IF statements are win-win.

Tell me if I'm missing something critical here, but I think you can churn this out in just a patch or two for those who want the taunt spam. Just add a warning tooltip that tells the user that it may cause decreased performance.

ILIKEGRAPE

06-06-2010

I would love for it to be re-enabled, but at the cost of everyone not hearing it would be a fail IMO. We want it back because it's fun to do with multiple people.

iNsAyNe

06-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKEGRAPE View Post
I would love for it to be re-enabled, but at the cost of everyone not hearing it would be a fail IMO. We want it back because it's fun to do with multiple people.
I would rather be able to taunt spam with my fellow taunt spammers than not be able to do it at all.

If anyone removes it from their options... that's their loss, not ours.

ILIKEGRAPE

06-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDHAMMER View Post
I would rather be able to taunt spam with my fellow taunt spammers than not be able to do it at all.

If anyone removes it from their options... that's their loss, not ours.
Hah, thats exactly what I said buddy. hohums said he would try to make it enabled per user and only that user hears it. But thats not what our request is really about. It's about another way to interact with people besides attacking and killing them.

iNsAyNe

06-06-2010

Quote:
Hah, thats exactly what I said buddy. hohums said he would try to make it enabled per user and only that user hears it. But thats not what our request is really about. It's about another way to interact with people besides attacking and killing them.
True. ^_^

RiotJay

Associate Sound Designer

06-07-2010
6 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Would it be possible to list your fixes because there are skills that I know I can hear through bushes / fow sometimes.
The fix won't be going in till next patch (I hope), I'll give you guys a heads up when you should start reporting any ones we missed. It requires a lot of designer time, so it's taking a little longer to fully implement and test than we would have liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDHAMMER View Post
I noticed while playing Left 4 Dead 2, today, that I could spam/loop the voice commands of the characters with no problem to graphics or sounds.

I am very curious as to how a game as visually and aurally complex as Left 4 Dead 2 can easily produce looping of voice commands. Is this a technical feat that only a large publisher such as Valve can produce?

If a game such as Left 4 Dead 2 can do it... why can't a much more simple game such as League of Legends?

Perhaps you might be able to speak with any of the sound engineers at Valve on the subject.
In fact, I hope to gain some insight from them on the matter which I might pass on to help Riot's engineers work on the problem.
The choices made regarding spamming emotes in no ways reflects a lacking in the Riot engineers. Left 4 Dead and LoL are two incredibly different games in different genres, and it is simply not correct to classify one as 'complex' and one as 'simple.' Each game has it's own set of challenges and complexities and each developer makes their own decisions as a result.

Quote:

There is really no chance it will come back in this form, this would simply be a lose for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryRed View Post
Jay, and the rest of the sound team, you guys have done a wonderful job on League of Legends. I really appreciate the time you spend to listen to us as well.
Thanks, very appreciated MercuryRed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryRed View Post
So what you did was a programmable fix. Meaning the fix for OPTIONAL taunt spam is extremely easy! Ask the UI team for an extra option to turn VO Spam on and off. Then, use that value to determine whether you should use the old code or the new code. IF statements are win-win.

Tell me if I'm missing something critical here, but I think you can churn this out in just a patch or two for those who want the taunt spam. Just add a warning tooltip that tells the user that it may cause decreased performance.
It's not quite as simple as that because of the way communication with FMOD is setup, but it certainly is something that's possible to do. The point I was trying to make a bit earlier on the thread is that under these circumstances this becomes a feature added to a long list of other audio feature requests and bug fixes, many of which are higher priority in our eyes. In the long run it could a viable solution as long as other departments agree on it, but it's one that would require patience.

As a side note, it's really awesome to hear about your studies! Best of luck finishing your degree, I can tell from you're well thought out comments that you're really working from a strong understanding.

iNsAyNe

06-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywatford View Post
The point I was trying to make a bit earlier on the thread is that under these circumstances this becomes a feature added to a long list of other audio feature requests and bug fixes, many of which are higher priority in our eyes. In the long run it could a viable solution as long as other departments agree on it, but it's one that would require patience.
Put it on the list, we'll wait ^_^