Cho'Gath: These Prices are a Scourge upon the World

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

setaymit

09-17-2009

There seems to be a complete lack of decent guides about my favourite champion of late, Cho'gath. To this end, I have written up this guide! Bear in mind I am by no means a fantastic player, and this guide is just to help new players get their head around how exactly Cho'gath works.

Cho'gath's role in the game is as a pusher and ambusher. Played right, he is virtually impossible to kill. Played poorly, he is pretty useless. Then again, that can be said of nearly any character, so what makes Cho'gath special?

- Enormous health potential. His ultimate, Feast, gives him a bonus of up to 150 health, stackable 6 times to grant a total of 900 health, or one (1) Warmog's Living Armor, entirely for free!
- Great early-game laning and creep control with Vorpal Spikes
- Caster denial with Feral Scream (up to 4 second silence) and Feast (up to 800 damage)
- Rupture, A powerful, but unreliable, 4 second slow

And, in the interests of fairness, what makes Cho'Gath weak?
- Ineffective versus structures
- Relatively low auto-attack damage
- Mana- and cooldown-dependent on Feast

So, we get a picture of a champion who, with massive health, can form the spearhead of a push, and survive for long enough to see it through. His Feast is a constant threat and will make opponents think twice before sticking around those extra few game-deciding seconds, and if they do make the risk, you can eat them for an easy kill and extra health.

As an ambusher, he is even more powerful: Throw Rupture at an unsuspecting caster from the bushes, Feral Scream while they are in the air to silence, then hit them until you can Feast for a kill.

Anyway, enough about what Cho'gath can theoretically pull off. Let's look at the actual numbers, shall we?

SKILLS:

Q: Rupture
Target an area to shoot everyone upwards and slow them for 4 seconds.
Cost: 80/90/100/110/120 mana
Cooldown: 10 seconds
Damage: 80/135/190/245/305
Extra: 60% slow for 4 seconds, 1 second delay after casting

Cho'gath's biggest mana sink. Its biggest weakness is that it takes about a second to come up after being cast. However, if you can pull it off, it means that you are already bearing down on your opponent by the time they have been hit by it.

The best way to use this ability is in ganking. As soon as your opponents see you, they will move and you will waste your mana. So, sit in the bushes! Wait until they push slightly ahead of you, pop Rupture and rush out to meet them. You should get a hit or two off before they are able to get behind you, and with some allies around (or if Feast is up) they should be an easy kill.

Don't use this when chasing, unless you are desperate. It is your initiator. It's way too slow and unless you are right next to your opponent and cast it at max range, it won't hit them. Even then, when you are right next to them, they can run in any direction, making it even more unreliable. Used properly, it's great. Used poorly, it will end up killing you as you exhaust your mana too early.

W: Feral Scream
Silence and damage enemies in a cone
Cost: 70/80/90/100/110 mana
Cooldown: 17 seconds
Damage: 80/130/180/240/300
Extra: Silences for 2/2.5/3/3.5/4 seconds

If you have played Annie, Feral Scream works in the same way as Incinerate except with a nifty Silence ability! For the uninitiated: When you activate the ability, a Cone cursor will appear, pointing towards Cho'gath. After clicking, Cho'gath will move to the tip of the cone and unleash Feral Scream.

This ability is good for silencing casters after popping them into the air with Rupture, as described earlier. It's also good for stopping abilities. Its cooldown is a little high to spam, so you will likely only use it once per battle, and your mana is better saved for Rupture and Feast if you are lower than 250 Mana.

I tend to level Feral Scream last, but get a point or two in it earlier. It's good to lock down casters like Ryze in pivotal moments.

E: Vorpal Spikes
When you attack, you will generate a wave of spikes that damage all in front of you
Passive
Damage: 40/60/80/100/120

Vorpal Spikes is Cho'Gath's moneymaker and early-game harasser. I recommend levelling this ability as early and as quickly as possible. It will help with taking out waves of creeps and with proper positioning you can even chip away at champions early-game without putting yourself at risk.

Vorpal Spikes works a little strangely: When you attack, you will generate a wave of spikes that will travel in the direction of your target. All OTHER targets that are hit by the spikes will take damage. Your target does not take the Vorpal Spikes damage! This means that at mid levels, your target is likely to take less damage than everyone else around him. At level 6, Cho'gath's natural damage is around 80, so without some extra damage items, this is where you will start doing more damage with spikes than attacks.

Vorpal Spikes is also the reason why I like to go with Berserker's Greaves instead of Boots of Swiftness. Increased attack speed will greatly increase your damage potential, as this ability happens with each and every attack. You will be able to line yourself up along the flank of creeps and take them all out after 3 or 4 hits, relatively early game. You will also be able to harass champions with proper positioning. This will put you in a very good position when it comes to buying items.

Also note that when you are attacking structures, Vorpal Spikes will NOT proc. When pushing towers, your best bet is to advance further along the line and take out the next wave of creeps. This will net you a lot of money and make sure your creeps do more damage.

R: Feast
Eat a dude.
Cost: 100 mana
Cooldown: 70 seconds
Damage: 300/550/800 to champions, 1000 (flat) to creeps
Extra: Grants 90/120/150 extra health per successful Feast. Stacks 6 times.

Feast is what makes Cho'gath good mid-to-late game. If you are able to kill your target with Feast, it will also grant you extra health. For enemy champions, you will get an indicator when they are low enough health to be feasted upon; a yellow swirl appears around them. This makes it easy to tell who you can feast at a glance. You should also be looking at their health bars, of course.

Feast will also make Cho'gath physically larger. It also makes him harder to ignore in a fight, a subtlety (if you can call it that) that will make your opponents more likely to attack you. This is good! Attacks on you are attacks that aren't going to your weaker brethren that are actually doing the damage. Remember that Cho'gath's strength is in surviving long enough to pull off a successful Feast, not in doing damage, as he isn't all that great at damage.

Feast will also keep your enemies away. The threat of an instant kill PLUS a buff to your killer is very demoralising. I believe it will also instantly kill champions with a respawn ability like Cryophoenix, though I still need to check this.

Dying will remove all your Feast stacks. This is vital! Without Feast you have up to 900 less health. I recommend using Feast on creeps early on if there are no heroes present, but storing if there is a low-max-health enemy around. There is little point saving it for high-health enemies as they won't let you use it on them, so feast away on creeps if you are laning against a tankier opponent.

Feast will also deal lots of damage in general. Once you have max Feast up, you can use it as a massive nuke. If you aren't likely to kill your opponent, a Feast can make them think twice about attacking you, as they may overestimate your backup abilities (hint: you don't have that many).

The health bonus is awarded retroactively, so if you have 3 Feasts active then level it up to Level 2, you will instantly get a bonus 90 max health.

Passive: Carnivore
Recover 30-72 health, based on your level
When Cho'gath kills something, he will recover health. This is only really useful in the early game where it will give you some staying power in laning, but late game your items will usually give you such large amounts of health that this is unneccessary, and your only health risk is burst damage and lockdowns from enemy casters. Still, very useful when you need a quick pick-me-up.

This ability will work in conjunction with any other ability. Vorpal Spikes, Rupture, Feast, etc. This means Feast will actually give you two bonus loads of health; one for the extra health granted by Feast, one for killing the unit! This can be very handy when you are being chased and have Feast up.

So, my recommended Skill-ups are:
1. Vorpal Spikes
2. Rupture
3. Vorpal Spikes
4. Feral Scream
5. Vorpal Spikes
6. Feast
7. Vorpal Spikes
8. Rupture
9. Vorpal Spikes
10. Rupture
11. Feast
12/13 Rupture
14/15 Feral Scream
16. Feast
17/18 Feral Scream

SUMMONER SKILLS:

Definitely Ghost. Always Ghost. It has a quicker cooldown than Flash and will be what gets you kills.

Your second skill can change. Select something that will help your team out or just Teleport. Or even Exhaust. I haven't investigated this all that much.

MASTERIES/RUNES:

I'm not going to go into masteries or runes, but utility/defense works better for how I play Cho'gath. Get whatever runes you feel like getting, Cho'gath is pretty versatile for this.

ITEM BUILD[Second Revision]:

I am still working on an optimum item build, but so far I have come up with the following:

Start with:
Regrowth Pendant
This will help keep you in the lane at the beginning, and is a component of Warmog's Armor. A pretty standard first item to get.

After returning to base the first time, you should be able to get:
Berserker's Greaves
This will give you 25% extra attack speed to boost your Vorpal Spines cash. By this point you can kill the 4 wraith creeps on the middle lane instantly by using Rupture and attacking once or twice while they are in the air. Do this every time they appear, on both sides if possible!

Then, for extra health, get:
Warmog's Armor
I'm still deciding on whether to get this at this point in the game. It will provide lots of health, which is good, but extra health may not be necessary for Cho'Gath.

Next comes:
Atma's Impaler
Atma's Impaler will give you extra armor and link your health to your damage (2% of max health = bonus damage). With over 3000 health by this stage, this will mean at least an extra 60 damage!

Now you will need survivability to keep your Feast stacks up. For this, you should get:
Guardian Angel
This will also give you some magic resist. Not a lot, mind you, but at least it's something. Keep an eye on how long until your next free respawn. Even when you come back with 50% health you will still be formidable, and you will keep your Feast stacks!

At this point you should mix up your items depending on what your opponents have.
If your opponents are constantly running out of your reach, think about getting the Frozen Mallet.
If you are getting stun-locked too much, go for Banshee's Veil to help reduce it.
If neither of these are really happening, think about Nashor's Tooth, as it will reduce your cooldowns by 15% and grant you a bunch of extra attack speed, which means more spines and more Feasting.
Get a second of these as you reach end-game, depending on how you've been going.

This should put you in good stead for taking care of whatever comes your way. As always, mix it up if you feel you need more firepower instead of more health, but Cho'gath is one of those heroes that is made by his allies. If your allies can back you up, you should be able to take on nearly any opponent!

Man, this guide got long. As mentioned, though, I am still working on this. Expect a few updates as I go on, and comments/criticism welcome!

SmecssRaege

09-17-2009

Here's a suggestion:

When it comes to "optimum" item builds

you need 3 sets to actually reach "optimum"

one for caster heavy games, one for melee heavy games, and one for a split of both

this is mostly true when build a tank....as with 5,000hp but in your build you have no MR... a veigar or annie could sitll rip off half your health before you knew what even happened :-P

Just something to consider ^_^

i don't play chogath much, but i think i have a pretty solid idea on what items would support him well (maybe not to a science) but i could at least make him formidable against any type of team i beleive (maybe not dunno xD)

setaymit

09-17-2009

I'm trying to work out what are good items at the moment

The point of this guide is more to look at his abilities. Most tank builds will work well with Cho'gath, I think.

But yeah, I have been torn apart by casters here and there. Still working on it!

White Rock

09-17-2009

I'm just theory crafting here, but i think Guardian angel is a good replacement/supplementfor warmogs, reason being:

Armor and MR combined with health is more effective then stacking a single stat. Cho'gath naturally gets high health so...

The passive might save you the annoyance of building up new feast charges.

Also a cho'gath that gets half his health back after you kill him = a pretty dangerous cho'gath.

setaymit

09-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rock View Post
I'm just theory crafting here, but i think Guardian angel is a good replacement/supplementfor warmogs, reason being:

Armor and MR combined with health is more effective then stacking a single stat. Cho'gath naturally gets high health so...

The passive might save you the annoyance of building up new feast charges.

Also a cho'gath that gets half his health back after you kill him = a pretty dangerous cho'gath.
I'll give this a shot and see how I go. Other people have said that Guardian Angel does save up Cho'gath's feast stacks...

[EDIT] After mucking around a bit, it seems that Guardian Angel works pretty fantastically with Cho'Gath! I will revise my item list above.

theqn

09-17-2009

my personal build :
i got -22%colldowns from runes+ talents

i play without vorpal spikes till the end... just spam aoe , spam , spam lot of gold...lot of kills...

start -> meki pendant+2xhealth pot

1-chalice
2-boots 33AP
3-rod of ages
4-atma's impaler
5-warmog's armor

long game -force of nature / warden mail

Krald

09-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqn View Post
my personal build :
i got -22%colldowns from runes+ talents

i play without vorpal spikes till the end... just spam aoe , spam , spam lot of gold...lot of kills...

start -> meki pendant+2xhealth pot

1-chalice
2-boots 33AP
3-rod of ages
4-atma's impaler
5-warmog's armor

long game -force of nature / warden mail
This.
All day long, this.
My friend runs this build and simply goes 5 games in a row without dying and being almost most kills in game.

Koslomac

09-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krald View Post
This.
All day long, this.
My friend runs this build and simply goes 5 games in a row without dying and being almost most kills in game.
Are people in those games blind or so stupid that they get hit so often with rupture?

When I play chogath I just get boots, frozen mallet, then either warmog's-atma's or stack sunfires. In both cases lots of health, armor and damage.

theqn

09-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosta View Post
Are people in those games blind or so stupid that they get hit so often with rupture?

When I play chogath I just get boots, frozen mallet, then either warmog's-atma's or stack sunfires. In both cases lots of health, armor and damage.
no.
rupture is used for creep-farming and fast push.
you "spam" rupture every 6 sec ,remember that.

it's a teamplay game ,u get kills helped by your teammates and using feast.

u don't need the mallet or sunfire cape... cause u are playing an AP-tank that "spam spam spam and spam 400dmg AoE + silence" all around , u go in melee-range only for last hit creeps(at game beginning) and kill heroes with feast.

Hmmer94

09-17-2009

I think you should rework your chogath.
He has the potential to be a brutal nuke/tank and u just made him into a tank/pusher pointing out urself and i quote: " he isn't that good vs turrets".

Hrmmm?

Anybody second this?