Why not build Kog'Maw as a standard ranged AD carry?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DD DoubleDiamond

09-13-2011

There may be a reason no one does it, and a reason kogmaw with razer used to be OP until they fixed his attack speed modifier.

Eledhan

09-13-2011

Actually, long range IE crits is just mean...

I almost always play Kog with Madred's, Malady, Mallet, but the other day I decided to try a more typical IE & PD build on him...

I have to say...those long range crits with built in bloodrazor are simply nasty. Although, I think there are better champions at doing such a build, it DOES work well on Kog. The biggest drawback to it, though, is that it's just soooo expensive.

The cost difference between Madred's / Malady and IE / PD is roughly 1,500 gold...that means you could theoretically get Madred's / Malady, and Phage at the same time you complete IE / PD for the same cost. The timing of that kind of damage, utility, and survivability so early is ultimately what gives the AS on-hit build the edge on Kog. His W scales so well from AS, that it's the most efficient way to build him.

It doesn't mean IE or other AD items won't work, it just means they take too long to become effective.

I've actually had games where my farm was abysmally slow, but because of the low cost of my damage build (and the fact I don't need any other damage items), I can carry no problem late game as long as I get 3 seconds of unchallenged damage. And even if I don't, after boots, MBR, & Malady...just build defensive items and take the brunt of the damage from the other team...you become a desirable target, but they can't kill you easily.

NeurOnyx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
The other way to look at it is:

Why WOULD you play Kog Mow as a standard ranged carry, instead of someone else with long range?

Look at Tristana and Caitlyn. Both have very long range autoattacks and their skills either boost autoattacks or scale on AD.

Why play a champ that only has long range half the time, does magical damage on-hit, no escape mechanism, spams very long range magical attacks? It makes no sense.

Kog is build for on-hit damage, because he deals almost all MAGICAL DAMAGE. Hence it is more efficient to work on magic penetration and max his magic damage.
This is what I don't understand with a number of champs. People say build his ability power when his overview makes him out to be an attack damage champ and not a spell champ at all. Why do some champs' overviews lie?

hu4rollz

09-14-2011

You definitely can go more standard AD builds on him, but you are usually giving up 15-30% dps per cost compared to a good on-hit build. His DPS is hurt more early game than late game (late late game you can actually get similar DPS).

The reason that on hit builds have higher dps for the same cash is that Kog's W already does a lot of damage, making attack speed better, and making crit and armor pen relatively worse (in other words they increase his dps a smaller percent than they would on another AD hero with similar DPS).

The reason to do it is if your team need physical damage. Even with a phys build Kog can still keep up with any other AD carry.

ComradeHX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2011

Because you can have 49% magic penetration but only 40% magic penetration in percents.

Better utilize the attackspeed for the magic %hp damage.

Panikattak

09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hu4rollz View Post
You definitely can go more standard AD builds on him, but you are usually giving up 15-30% dps per cost compared to a good on-hit build. His DPS is hurt more early game than late game (late late game you can actually get similar DPS).

The reason that on hit builds have higher dps for the same cash is that Kog's W already does a lot of damage, making attack speed better, and making crit and armor pen relatively worse (in other words they increase his dps a smaller percent than they would on another AD hero with similar DPS).

The reason to do it is if your team need physical damage. Even with a phys build Kog can still keep up with any other AD carry.
completely disagree, you will always do more damage with an AD/AS build (cept against heavy armor tanks maybe), and ontop that, have better sustain. You can actually make use of vamp.

The only real advantage on-hit has is the price tag to be effective. Personally, I like to build his damage a bit of both, this makes you much harder to counter, while giving you some sustain.

hu4rollz

09-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panikattak View Post
completely disagree, you will always do more damage with an AD/AS build (cept against heavy armor tanks maybe), and ontop that, have better sustain. You can actually make use of vamp.

The only real advantage on-hit has is the price tag to be effective. Personally, I like to build his damage a bit of both, this makes you much harder to counter, while giving you some sustain.
Nope.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0

SeCKS Egai

09-14-2011

He's still an AD in the "truest" sense in that you can still focus heavily on auto-attacks. Like Teemo, his skillset focuses on magic damage. Malady and Madred's I would consider core on any non ap kog build, wits is still quite useful but I'd consider swapping it with divine depending on team makeup.

XTreeX

09-14-2011

kogmaw is meant to be playes like as/on hit teemo but with more range and lower health. you need much more skill to play him than teemo because even though u got goood range, if they get up close your dead. some skills you may need are positioning, map awareness, prediction, and possibly the use of mind games.

good luck and AS/on hit is the best way to build him. nuff said BLOOD RAZER IS CORE

brainlizard

09-15-2011

You build him AD for a simple reason: towers.