Why not build Kog'Maw as a standard ranged AD carry?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Farmville

09-13-2011

So I bought Kog yesterday and looked up guides for him. Most seem to build him with items with on-hit effects, like Malady, Wit's End, etc. and depending on whether it's an AD or AP guide, other items vary.

Why not just build him as a standard AD ranged carry with items like IE, BT, PD, etc?

I know guides are not the only way to build a champ, but what's the advantage to building him with on-hit effect items vs. standard ranged AD carry items? His skills (mainly Q passive and W) to me scream for him to build standard AD carry and just let those skills be extra damage/ATK speed bonuses, using his ulti before team fights to poke enemies down a bit.

So is there just a lot of ways to effectively build Kog, or what?

Cenerae

09-13-2011

He's not built like a standard AD carry because his W does rediculous amounts of damage, and Q's range is far too short to get anything out of the armor pen it gives.

AS/onhit is easily the most powerful build. Not that you couldn't build him like an AD carry, it's just the range and damage on W make onhit effects and AS more deadly.

Mambazo

09-13-2011

He scales with AS way better than AD because of his W. You either rush a bloodrazor or get wits end/malady. it depends on the enemy team. Building him standard AD ranged carry has the same problems as building Twisted Fate that way.... yeah, he has a ranged attack, but it doesn't synergize with his kit at all.

AreYouReady2Die

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-13-2011

Bloodrazor, malady, frozen mallet, void scepter, last whisper or hextech gunblade is my preferred build, its pretty nuts once malady and phage are bought starting with cloth armor and 5 hp pots.

I've tried AD with a malady it works, but even with IE and phantom dancers its subpar, BUT vs some teams with extra life steal from armor pen and crit can keep you standing!! And that's more important at times!

But you'll do about 70% damage.

Farmville

09-13-2011

I agree with Q being too short range to get use from its active typically; although in team fights, if they DO get close enough, dropping their resistances can be huge.

And yeah, W does do insane amounts of damage.. so why not add to it with great AD/AS/Crits?

I guess I just disagree about it not synergizing with his kit.. I see it as W being a range/damage buff (or steroid if you will) and his Q passive being free AS, meaning you can focus a little more on AD/Crit chance. His E is just a basic chase/gank/escape tool, and his ulti scales on bonus AD as well as AP, so building AD helps his ulti too.

Meh, just my preference I suppose. I've done better so far with AD carry build than I have with on hit effect/AS builds... but either way, Kog is a monster.

Shinslammer

09-13-2011

I get a BF sword first on him. It works 100% fine. And you're useful way sooner because your damage sucks before bloodrazor is finished anyway. W is a ton of damage, but you only need to build for it when melting tanks. You do more damage to carries(you know, the people you should be focusing), by just building normal ad.

I'm rarely building bloodrazor on him anymore at all. its almost always infinity edge/bloodrazor with a pdancer after.

Lorifel

09-13-2011

People don't build typical AD Crit build on Kog'Maw because magic damage from his W doesn't crit. That's why they go after AS, on-hit effects and (because Kog lacks escape moves) survivability.

Farmville

09-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorifel View Post
People don't build typical AD Crit build on Kog'Maw because magic damage from his W doesn't crit. That's why they go after AS, on-hit effects and (because Kog lacks escape moves) survivability.
I know the W damage doesn't crit. It's just added on to the damage from his auto-attacks, as I understand it. So if you're critting high amounts AND taking 6% of their max hp each hit, it just melts opponent's HP; tank or otherwise.

And I do still get Bloodrazer, just after IE. After IE i get the Recurve Bow first for the extra atk speed. After finishing Bloodrazer, I get Zeal. Then BT/PD/Last Whisperer depending on what I need.

Bloodrazer + W + Crits = gg.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-13-2011

The other way to look at it is:

Why WOULD you play Kog Mow as a standard ranged carry, instead of someone else with long range?

Look at Tristana and Caitlyn. Both have very long range autoattacks and their skills either boost autoattacks or scale on AD.

Why play a champ that only has long range half the time, does magical damage on-hit, no escape mechanism, spams very long range magical attacks? It makes no sense.

Kog is build for on-hit damage, because he deals almost all MAGICAL DAMAGE. Hence it is more efficient to work on magic penetration and max his magic damage.

Farmville

09-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
The other way to look at it is:

Why WOULD you play Kog Mow as a standard ranged carry, instead of someone else with long range?

Look at Tristana and Caitlyn. Both have very long range autoattacks and their skills either boost autoattacks or scale on AD.

Why play a champ that only has long range half the time, does magical damage on-hit, no escape mechanism, spams very long range magical attacks? It makes no sense.

Kog is build for on-hit damage, because he deals almost all MAGICAL DAMAGE. Hence it is more efficient to work on magic penetration and max his magic damage.
It's true that none of his skills (aside from his R) scale with AD. But they still help his auto-attack.

Q = Free Atk speed passive and armor debuff if they get close (so good, especially combined with Exhaust)
W = Free auto attack damage and range (even though it scales with AP, the base amount is good)
E is only used for utility anyway, unless you're building AP Kog.

As far as other base stats go (and per level stats), Kog is on par or slightly better than Cait or Trist. So really it's a wash as far as that goes.

Sure, Cait has a nice Q and good AD scaling on her ulti.
All of Trist's abilities scale with AP.
Kog has a nice Q passive and active, ridiculous W, and a spammable ult that scales better with AD than AP.

Meh, I think it's preference.

tl;dr - It's preference, and it's more or less a wash. (I haven't done teh mathz, but yeah)