Worst starting item?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Robronie

05-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyGoat View Post
people are naming some stupid ****

regrowth pendant is worse than most of the items you're listing. cloth armor? builds into Heart of Gold and leaves you with plenty of room for pots. Boots? 3-4 pots, zoning advantage, easier to gank/harder to be ganked, and you're going to buy them eventually anyway. vamp scepter gives regen comparable to regrowth when you're autoattacking - which, if your HP is low, you probably will have the opportunity to do since it indicates your enemy has lane dominance which leads to your tower being pushed - and builds into a lot of items.

regrowth pendant is pretty horrible, doran's blade isn't very good.

technically the worst starting item is still oracle's elixir since it does literally nothing unless you happen to be laned against a stealth, and only allows you to purchase 2 potions.
regrowth pendant isn't THAT horrible, it can work with morde or mundo
sure you could get dorans shield which is clearly better but pendant does allow for upgrading

over time the hp regen gains you a fair amount of hp, it's not very effective on alot of champs (squishy ones particularly) but its not awful awful

turtlejay

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-27-2010

Quote:
I keep my doran's ring or shield until I build my 6th item.
I was gonna ask this. I usually find myself selling Doran's Shield when I am trying to build a Guardian Angel (my 4th item if things are going normally). It is useful, but the Armor it provides is negligible once you've got some armor built (due to diminishing returns) and I often sell it so I can afford the crystal which gives health.

How can anyone say Doran's is useless. Are you really that hard up for slots that everything you buy must build into something better?

player704

05-27-2010

Dagger.

Killamoocow

05-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmin View Post
I keep my doran's ring or shield until I build my 6th item. They are quite good for laning. Lets you stay laning a lot longer to save up for your first item.
Yeah, but that's my point. What is 6 damage going to help you when you're level 18? Or 5 mana per 5 seconds? I'd rather have something like Ruby Crystal to give me a good head start in building some powerful items earlier on, as well as giving me a large chunk of hp. I suppose Doran's Shield makes more sense than just getting a regrowth pendant to help farm early, but Doran's Blade and Doran's Ring don't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Swipe Knife

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-27-2010

Oracle's. Then Green Elixer.
Mana pot on energy champs goes without saying.

Robronie

05-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killamoocow View Post
Yeah, but that's my point. What is 6 damage going to help you when you're level 18? Or 5 mana per 5 seconds? I'd rather have something like Ruby Crystal to give me a good head start in building some powerful items earlier on, as well as giving me a large chunk of hp. I suppose Doran's Shield makes more sense than just getting a regrowth pendant to help farm early, but Doran's Blade and Doran's Ring don't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Doran's blade is fairly weak atm, the lifesteal and attack shoudl probably be increased slightly

Doran's ring is very good though, with mana/5/level runes the mana regen has most champs covered in the early stages when the runes/levels arent at their full effect

Doran's items are for early lane advantage, if you know you're up against a tough lane or a mirror you may pick one up so you have the upper hand. In terms of cost-effectiveness Doran's items are the most effective. They aren't upgradeable, but the lane advantage could contribute you to netting kills/towers to make up for it. You don't lose that much money when you sell it anyway really

TerranMarine

05-27-2010

Quote:

regrowth pendant is worse than most of the items you're listing. cloth armor? builds into Heart of Gold and leaves you with plenty of room for pots. Boots? 3-4 pots, zoning advantage, easier to gank/harder to be ganked, and you're going to buy them eventually anyway. vamp scepter gives regen comparable to regrowth when you're autoattacking - which, if your HP is low, you probably will have the opportunity to do since it indicates your enemy has lane dominance which leads to your tower being pushed - and builds into a lot of items.

technically the worst starting item is still oracle's elixir since it does literally nothing unless you happen to be laned against a stealth, and only allows you to purchase 2 potions.
regrowth makes a malphite with a brain invincible until level 10 or so.

worst is clearly sapphire crystal and mana pots on mundo, kat, etc

more seriously, lifesteal on a melee champ. you're screwed if you get laned with a ranged

Liquor

05-27-2010

Quote:

It's an opinion based thread. You DISAGREE with them, they're not bad. Cloth armor is generally not going to help you when you look for a STARTING item. Sure it builds into stuff LATER. But starting you have better choices. Same with vamp scepter, and it's worse than regrowth pendant as you should really only be LAST hitting.

Regrowth is good because it gives you the regen to survive harassment and stay in lane. Boots are meh, i don't agree, or disagree with them.

Carados

05-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquor View Post
It's an opinion based thread. You DISAGREE with them, they're not bad.
Good and bad is objective, no matter how much you may argue the otherwise. And yes, Regrowth pendant isn't a good item because it's worse then Doran's Shield in the defensive first item department, and it doesn't build into any items worth building.

Varmin

05-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killamoocow View Post
I think doran's blade is a terrible first item.

Doran's shield I often keep as it's quite cost efficient for health/armor/hp5
Doran's ring I keep because most casters are squishy, 120 hp is nice, as well as the spread of 5 mp5 and 10 ap.