Akali - A walking design flaw?

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Charmicarmicarmicat

05-27-2010

Ladies and Gents

This past week I've been playing Akali exclusively on smurfs, and while she is a fun hero she has some glaring errors that needs to be adressed.

The biggest one is that she absolutely, and without any debate, needs Rylai for AP builds or Frozen Mallet for AD builds. Without it, she's a weakling who does not have the nessesary CC to perform her moves against running targets, and once she acquires it she turns into a ticking bomb.

Honestly, there are no items that have such an effect on a hero, as these two do on Akali. To hell with Madreds on Shaco or IE on Tryndamere, a Rylai on Akali is twice as good as these examples.

And it is my opinion (and hopefully yours as well) that no items should be absolute musthaves on a hero in order to perform well. It kills creativity and creatives stale gameplay.

My biggest problem is comboing her moves on running targets. MOTA has a low range, so during a gank you may have to open up with shadow dance, followed by mota, and by the time you want to autoattack, they may have gotten out of reach. Doing both MOTA, autoattack and a crescent on a runner neigh impossible without spending yet another of your essense charges. The purpose of my suggestion is to make Rylai weaker on her, but making her stronger without;

1) Reduce the slow from Rylai from 35 to 15% on MOTA, MOTA getting triggered, and Shadow Dance
2) Make Crescent do a small dash forward. This will help you better perform your mota+attack combo on running targets without of rylai. It also makes it worth using when chasing.
3) Possibly increase the CD on Shadow Dance 20-25% to compensate for this.

What the outcome will be

Now that Rylai is no longer a musthave item, more build variety will occur. In terms of fighting, she will have much more synergy within her skillset.

For example;

Old Akali without rylai/frozen, gank scenario:

Try to gank. You are spotted before you're in range of MOTA and run, so you shadowdance close to them, MOTA and try to autoattack. You may or may not success. There is no time to cast Cresent. You follow up with another MOTA shadowdance and perform another attack.

New Akali, identical scenario

Try to gank. You are spotted, but still out of MOTA range. You Shadowdance, casts MOTA, Use Crescent to catch up, and autoattack. MOTA again, shadowdance, crescent, attack.

In both of these scenarios i'm imagining help is close nearby so Shroud is saved as your only escape.

Not only has she become more intuitive, none of her attacks are 'wasted' and she always has time to perform her actions rather than constantly trying to prioritize MOTA over Crescent against a fleeing enemy. She's also no longer forced to get certain items. The way I see it, this is win/win.

Thoughts?

noobfluff

05-27-2010

You took a lot of words to say that Akali is bad because she's a melee hero with no snares. I always thought that Akali was a pretty fun, well-rounded hero whose ult is actually GREAT for catching runners.

Also I don't suppose you've ever heard of the Lizard Elder?

I'm not trying to be snide, by the way. Though TBH Rylai's Scepter is a good, solid buy on a lot of characters who can do well with both AD and AP who are melee, having a leap-like ability and no innate snares, such as Jax.

Yeah, I know, Jax has his stun, but stuns != snares, etc...............

Brees

05-27-2010

my thoughts are that she is garbage either way unless the whole game is just 1v1s all day and no teamfights, which may be more readily available on your smurf

ThisEndsNow

05-27-2010

Might as well say extaclly the same for Kat.

Tip: Exhaust + Melee buff = win without the items you mentioned.

seresibyl

05-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brees View Post
my thoughts are that she is garbage either way unless the whole game is just 1v1s all day and no teamfights, which may be more readily available on your smurf
She's the kind of character that plays like she should have Poppy's ult.

And doesn't have it...

Charmicarmicarmicat

05-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobfluff View Post
You took a lot of words to say that Akali is bad because she's a melee hero with no snares. I always thought that Akali was a pretty fun, well-rounded hero whose ult is actually GREAT for catching runners.

Also I don't suppose you've ever heard of the Lizard Elder?

I'm not trying to be snide, by the way. Though TBH Rylai's Scepter is a good, solid buy on a lot of characters who can do well with both AD and AP who are melee, having a leap-like ability and no innate snares, such as Jax.

Yeah, I know, Jax has his stun, but stuns != snares, etc...............

She doesn't have problems catching people, she has problems performing her combos on runners. Not a good thing for an assassin. But yeah, she can chase them very well.

Also, I think that Akali is very strong, once she gets the two aforementioned items.

Meta

05-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmicarmicarmicat View Post
And it is my opinion (and hopefully yours as well) that no items should be absolute musthaves on a hero in order to perform well. It kills creativity and creatives stale gameplay.
Akali is far from the only one...

Mundo - Spirit Visage
Ashe - Infinity Edge/Last Whisper
Poppy - Sheen
Pantheon - Brutalizer
Jax - Guinsoo's
Singed - Rod of Ages

Anyways, I'm an avid Akali player and I wholeheartedly disagree.

You're correct in saying that Rylai's is a must-have on her, but imo that's fine. Having a single item that's amazing on a champion is okay. All the champions listed above are perfect examples.

Now... if a champion only has one specific build that works... then there's a problem. However, I find I have plenty of options on Akali aside from Rylai's, including:
Sheen/Lichbane
Guinsoo's
Zhonya's
Void Staff
Haunting Guise
Guardian Angel

Changing Mark and Dance to the 15% slow is nonsensical. They're single-target abilities, and should work as such. You talk about bad game design... adding nonsensical exceptions to rules is bad game design... much worse than pigeonholing a champion into 1 item.

Anyways, I strongly disagree with the bulk of your post. Sure, we don't want champions to be forced into one build... but at the same time we don't want every champion to be able to pick up whatever items they want and do well.

EDIT:

Shameless self-plug for my Akali Guide:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=117057
http://www.leaguecraft.com/strategies/guide/2542

Anhi

05-27-2010

Heroes like her aren't meant to take people from full health to dead. Single target champion killers haven been nerfed and reworked a bunch in these last few patches so I can't see them releasing a new hero with this intention.

Let your other carry/team deal the main chewing and use her to finish off champions. Her dash is great for penetrating the team fight and hitting their squishies. The best (situations) I've seen this ninja preform in is killing low champions on their towers.

You just need to figure out a way of getting your opponents to stand still

seresibyl

05-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhi View Post
Heroes like her aren't meant to take people from full health to dead. Single target champion killers haven been nerfed and reworked a bunch in these last few patches so I can't see them releasing a new hero with this intention.

Let your other carry/team deal the main chewing and use her to finish off champions. Her dash is great for penetrating the team fight and hitting their squishies. The best (situations) I've seen this ninja preform in is killing low champions on their towers.

You just need to figure out a way of getting your opponents to stand still
It's all so clear now!

<Gathers up all the world's morganas>

SlyGoat

05-27-2010

+1 for Charmicarmicarmicat post (where the **** have you been?!)

I can't comment, though, because I've played 2 games with Akali (despite buying her), and... I really don't find her that interesting, so I probably won't be playing many more than 2 games with her.

12345 ... 6