What the smurf?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LinXitoW

05-26-2010

Holy smurf, i always get smurfed by smurfs!
I'm an honest lvl 5, meaning i don't have a lvl 30 account laying around somewhere. I've already learned the lesson that one should always read the forums before jumping into any online game, so i do have a theoretical advantage over other new players.
So, one would think, a summoner lvl2 TwistedFate shouldn't be owning the whole team. I also wouldn't think that a summoner lvl3 Soraka would know more about the game than me and call me a noob.

What am i saying? That it's darn near impossible to actually be a genuinely new player and enjoy the game because of all the smurfs and people telling you you're a noob(which, via definition, you actually are) and then complaining about how they always have to play with noobs. Is there no such thing as a smurf-free zone?

This isn't just my problem. I'm guessing Riot wants to expand it's client base and grab a piece of the cake that is f2p online players. Those people aren't going to stay if they get owned by a smurf.

WarMammoth

05-26-2010

Unfortunately, those kinds of people are sad saps with no self-esteem. There are some legitimate reasons to have smurf accounts, but there aren't any for calling people noobs, complaining about anything that your teammates do in smurf games, or anything like that.

Garabidian

05-26-2010

Sadly, i had to create a smurf account because i got riot points and with champs that i did not have i wanted to get the package deal. So to get its full value, i made a new account and got all the characters withouth having to work hard to get all the characters again. So atm im working towards all the newer champions. I can say right now that having a "smurf" account is just about the most boring thing you could ever have because everything seems to move a lot slower around you...The progress of your champ during the game is escrutiatingly tortuous (No rune page and no masteries = ><)

thanos8587

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-26-2010

this is really a bad problem with NO solution. im a total noob player with no experience with wow or dota, so this whole game is completely new for me. i enjoyed it early, but ive really been turned off by playing in games with smurfers who are only interested in a high elo for their smurf account, not actually realizing that some of their teammates may actually be NEW at the game and not already have two other level 30 accounts and have an intimate knowledge of every character and item and their synergies.

unfortunately, anyone can create a new account at any time at no cost and for those people who gain giddy glee at slaughtering new players or players who think a new account is a ticket to a 5000 elo, new players are grist for the mill.

i respect riot for attempting to do something, but this the internet.

i hope im able to actually put my frustrations aside and just enjoy taking my beatings while reading the chat spewing out insults from my supposed teammates while i try to improve as i level up.

aside from that i do like the game. thank you riot.

Garamor

05-26-2010

Although I can't say the same for non-level 30s, if I see anyone on their team say something before a game starts or suspect their team to say something (typically solved by saying "glhf" and getting a reply of "LOL NUB") I /ignore their entire team from the get go.

Saboath

05-26-2010

To be honest, I have been smurfing as of late, but I'm not smurfing to pubstomp noobs. I smurf because I want to try out tanking/mages and my main account is built for physical DPS with runes.

My goal in smurf games is too encourage new players and offer advice or tips for those who listen. Also I intentionally play tanks so I don't have the ability to fully carry a team, which leads to more balanced games.

Dyloslawer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-26-2010

1. play more games
2. become less noob
3. ????
4. profit!

Souchie

05-26-2010

*******http://hippoz224.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/smurf.jpg******** <-- smurf.

thanos8587

05-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyloslawer View Post
1. play more games
2. become less noob
3. ????
4. profit!

all i can say is ... wow. im TRYING to play more games. im TRYING to be less noob. there IS NO PROFIT, its a game.

its the experience along the way that is unenjoyable when dealing with wannabe "pros" who are playing against noobs on purpose for their own gratification. if i were actually playing against other players at my experience level i could play more games, become less noob ... and maybe have fun along the way, what a concept for a game.

that being said, there is no real solution. MM may take smurfers into higher level games quicker, but that takes several games to occur, and by that time many newer people will have gotten a bad taste from the game. some will stay, most will go and thats the unfortunate part.

if you look at a game like halo, i dont think you see the same kind of thing where "pro" halo players make a new gamertag in order to stomp noobs, probably because you would have to PAY for another xbove live account, the whole FREE aspect of lol makes smurfing easy as well.

i do watch the livestreams from clgaming, messiah and even saw phreak the other night. they all have smurf accounts too.

Adnihilo

05-26-2010

when i started playing i noticed a mass amount of people raping me over and over again ._.