Let's try to be open-minded

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krald

05-25-2010

I think probably the most annoying thing about the guides and strategy forums, is that everytime I see someone ask for build advice, or anytime someone posts a guide, it is always in absolutes.

"This is the build on champion X"
"You should only be doing this in this situation"

Hey, I'm totally guilty of it. Alot. I've definitely thrown the first stone if anything in this regard.

But let's try to think outside the box, and recognize that LoL will always be changing, and new ways to play champions are found out every day.

Example:

HotshotGG runs an AP master yi build that absolutely destroys high level ELO games. When a guy on this forum asked for some advice on how to build an AP yi, 6-7 random posters just threw insults at the very fabricated thought of building yi as AP. I've tested this, its pretty awesomely hilarious.

http://runeterra.com/forums/index.php?topic=398.0

It's not a matter of being original for the sake of making a name for one's self, moreover its a matter of being open-minded to different and unique playstyles, builds, and strategies, to allow the meta-game to develop and change at a pace that is not hindered by player's own stubborn mindsets.

Yes, there will always be the 'better' ways to play and build champions. There will even always probably be a 'best' way to play some champions, Katarina is an example. Her item builds very rarely differ extremely strongly from one another. But let's definitely not be so hardcore against experimentation, and try to have a little fun with the game everynow and then

ty4rmwot
thankyouforreadingmywalloftext,
Krald

Tibberton

05-25-2010

I have to be honest: I stopped reading at the words "open-minded."

Admonished

05-25-2010

The reason players reccomend these builds is because they work.

DreamyDays

05-25-2010

I agree about this :P

Unviable =/= Unusual
Unviable =/= Inefficient
Unviable =/= Not Optimal

I think new, strange builds should not be dismissed if they are not suggesting complete lunacy.
If the build contains something that remotely works out better than below, give it a thought before trolling, I'd say.

Example of complete lunacy :
Suggesting Archangel's Staff for Garen
Suggesting 11 Mana Pot as starting item for Mordekaiser/Mundo/Garen/Kat/etc

Mesa H

05-26-2010

I do think we should try different builds to really push a champ to a highter level

However, when people ask for advice or build suggestions on this forum, most of them are new players, most of them. and i think the better way to help these people is to suggest "usual" builds that work well most of the time, because you dont' want relatively new players trying out unusual builds in YOUR game when they can't even last hit.

So, i do think trying out new builds is one of the things we all should do when we reach a certain level of skill, but only if we can guarantee we do decently, it's just selfish to "try out new builds" which losing the game and making your other 4 teammates go down with you.

Krald

05-26-2010

Haha I'm certainly not suggesting that we give new players experimental builds to ginny pig and invevitably fail for us, and I certainly wouldn't test out a carry Taric (which, is pretty awesome btw) build in solo queue without testing it against some skilled friends first.