Getting a lot of heat about Gragas

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dedirtyone

09-11-2011

Hey ladies and gents.

So I've been playing Gragas a lot lately in PvP, which is one of my favorite champs to play, and lately I've been getting a lot of people caps-locking me about how ******ed I am that I'm building AP. I ask them what they think I should be building instead and they all seem to answer, "Tank, dumb***."

Well, I do add two hp/ap items into my build, and after boots, those two hp/ap and deathcap, depending how the game is going, I'll either build something like an FoN and Shield (sorry, I'm horrible w/ names), or just finish off with something like an Hourglass and the ap/mr staff. With those items plus my Drunken Rage, I don't consider myself a full-on tank, but I am fairly difficult to take down.

Am I doing something wrong? I preform well in PvP as AP Gragas, but this constant nagging over why I'm not going heavy tank is really becoming an issue in games where most of the team battles are amongst ourselves in chat.

LegendaryHobos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2011

Gragas as a tank, honestly never seen one. AP gragas is the way to go, I don't even think gragas is a viable tank.

2pudge1cup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2011

you gotta go AP as him.

forget about those ******s. Just because gragas is fat doesn't make him a tank! He's big boned!

Dedirtyone

09-11-2011

Thanks for the replies. Glad to see people know the difference between being fat/tanky and being fluffy/big boned =)

Nexus Crawler

09-11-2011

Gragas is not a tank. At best he's a soak and not a very good one since the removal of Enervating Locket from the game. Best way to build him is AP. I've mained him and I can tell you building Tanky AP is probably your best choice.

9/0/21

MrPen Marks, HP@18/Armor (flat or scale)/MP5 seals, CDR/MR@18 Glyphs, and Flat HP, AP, or CDR, or MS x 2 and 1 MrPen is how I usually roll.

RoA, Boots 2 (mercs or Ionian), DCap/Void, Hourglass/Abyssal

Build situationally you will need some MR/Armor but those two items are enough. You don't need a DCap if they're stacking MR and Void will benefit you more. Another choice for CDR is Morellos Evil Tome, or Deathfire Grasp. Both are solid choices.

Also by building him mostly like a AP Tank anyways you're filling a off-tank or even tanky role if fed well and still have fantastic damage output.

Ignore the haters. They're just mad because they're sucking and/or feeding.

skillpatrick

09-11-2011

i've never seen a good tank gragas, but not many people use gragas so i can see how the general public would jump to the "tank!!!" conclusion

Cenerae

09-11-2011

Gragas does work okay as a tank (initiate with ult, peel with body slams) but his ratios are great so I don't know why people would prefer he tanks rather than plays AP carry. :/

I mean really, compared to other tanks he's not that good anyway. I guess people are thinking he's a tank because he has a skill that makes him tanky (his W's damage reduction). Much like they think Morde and Garen are tanks.

LordDespoiler

Recruiter

09-11-2011

i hate when people say that "oh, you don't need to play a tank, i will build tank" and they are playing morde, grags, or garen. or even worse, blitzcrank. these ppl are all OFF-tanks (read tanky damage dealers). singed and amumu... well, they are tanks. enough so that they can act as one. alistar.... he's a minotaur. 'nough said. freaking insane. the point about alistar and grags in particular is that you dont need to build tanky to initiate and soak up damage with r and w, respectively. morde likewise, to some degree, though his shield isnt affected by MR or armor.

and blitzcrank: if you argue that he is a "tank" then i will hunt you down myself. he is a freaking carry. like yi. only better. a lot better. hugely better. insanely better. you know what, why dont we just say he's freaking op and leave it at that? the only 3 others who come close are orianna, amumu, and singed. oriana cuz she is broken and ridiculously imbalanced, singed and amumu bc they are just ridiculous.

Etherimp

09-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDespoiler View Post
i hate when people say that "oh, you don't need to play a tank, i will build tank" and they are playing morde, grags, or garen. or even worse, blitzcrank. these ppl are all OFF-tanks (read tanky damage dealers). singed and amumu... well, they are tanks. enough so that they can act as one. alistar.... he's a minotaur. 'nough said. freaking insane. the point about alistar and grags in particular is that you dont need to build tanky to initiate and soak up damage with r and w, respectively. morde likewise, to some degree, though his shield isnt affected by MR or armor.

and blitzcrank: if you argue that he is a "tank" then i will hunt you down myself. he is a freaking carry. like yi. only better. a lot better. hugely better. insanely better. you know what, why dont we just say he's freaking op and leave it at that? the only 3 others who come close are orianna, amumu, and singed. oriana cuz she is broken and ridiculously imbalanced, singed and amumu bc they are just ridiculous.

See bolded: Since when?

Morde's Ironman Armor is benefited by Armor and Magic Resist.. It's one of the primary reasons "Real" Morde players stack MR/Armor instead of HP when building Morde.

LordDespoiler

Recruiter

09-11-2011

oh... lol for some reason i always thought it didnt. oh well. still, my point stands. he lacks the cc and initiation to act as a "tank".