Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Does win count matter?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Snazzy Pants

05-25-2010

Quote:
Phoenix Mane:
@ OP, Win count really doesn't make a huge difference in ELO, things such as who you win AGAINST and your +wins would effect ELO more, I'd imagine. So even if someone has a quarter of your wins it's still very possible for him to have a similar rating to you.

So there are people out there with 1/4th of total games I've played who are better than me? Great.

Phoenix Mane

05-25-2010

Quote:
Snazzy Pants:
So there are people out there with 1/4th of total games I've played who are better than me? Great.

ELO =/= Skill. They might just premade / get carried alot so have an inflated elo.

Gottvonalle

Recruiter

05-25-2010

I have noticed since the MM change that I get a lot of new lvl 30's with 100ish wins. The games have been really lopsided too. Playing a lot of TT. I know the champs that are OP on that map, but I keep running into heimers, ashe, karthus, and other all ranged squishy teams. Then after beating them I will run into a Shen, Udyr, Shaco team and get rolled. Then I beat up another 5 or 6 and get the Shen team again. It is a weird seesaw. You can't learn the same about this game in 100 games as you can in 400.

P.S. I have a little over 400 wins and see this

red8D

05-25-2010

Quote:
Snazzy Pants:

Realistically yes. I mean imagine a DotA pro comes over to LoL, they'll grasp the concept extremely easily and learn the heroes skills and the slight nuances of the game relatively quickly.

Anyhow that's not the point anyways. The most likely reason for people with 1/4th the games to be near your Elo is that they play in a premade most the time(maybe even in that game you were in) and that raises their Elo. Then when they solo queue they are still assigned a high(but not premade raised) Elo, and that may not be indicative of their abilities in a solo queue game[perhaps they excel at performing a role in their premade but suck at ad-libbing a more pub style game, or they use solo queue games to play other heroes since they always play the same few in their premade].

KemosabeTBC

05-25-2010

Quote:
Snazzy Pants:
If it's possible to ascend to the top in 50 games then that means two things:

1) Their wins don't matter, which makes me feel better.

Yes, you can feel better about that, they don't matter. And when I say "to the top" I mean to the top 500 (I play in Europe, we have access to the top list there :P), not top #1.

Quote:

2) The game changes your rating too fast, and small loss streaks of 5 or more can change my elo to a whole different bracket. And that obviously makes me feel worse.

What a horribly flawed system...
No, it's not that fast... But 40 consecutive wins will definitely bring you to the top 500. I have some experience with other Elo rated games, and my perception is that each "bracket" is about 200 points, I need to lose or gain about 200 points to see a noticeable decrease/increase in my opponents skill. Each win will grant you between 1-30 pts, but it's usually about 15-20, unless the opponents have a much lower/higher rating than you.

Anyway a small "bracket" of 200 points doesn't mean much, it's not like it's either High or Low Elo only! The difference from the #1 in Europe to #500 is almost 700 points... And I'm sure #500 is much higher than the average player.

Optimus Prim3

05-27-2010

Quote:
Snazzy Pants:
In a reasonable system, 50 games should not be enough of a time span for the game to determine that you're better than 90% of the other players. If 50 is enough for the game to distinguish between Pendragon and me, and then 5 is enough for me to fallen into a lower elo bracket if I keep losing. That doesn't sound right at all.

I think this is a good point But does it not smooth out over a little more over time?

GrnEggsNHam

05-27-2010

Quote:
Snazzy Pants:
But how does that explain someone like me being paired with people with wins that are 1/4th of mine? I can't help but think that it's a reflection on my abilities.

Also, it's me, Herborist.

Or it's a reflection on their abilities... They could have 142 wins and only like 60 losses.

BootsofAIDS

12-16-2012

Yeah it does