Does win count matter?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Snazzy Pants

05-25-2010

Lately I've been paired against a lot of people whose win counts are well below mine. I'm talking about people who have 140 ~ 160 wins while I have 411.

Does this mean that I suck? It never used to happen before the match making change, and ever since the match making change I've been losing horribly no matter what I do.

topboy

05-25-2010

NO

win count doesn't matter. Its all about K/D because it specifically describe who you really are as a champion (taking down enemy, survival and supporting your team).

Snazzy Pants

05-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by topboy View Post
win count doesn't matter. Its all about K/D because it specifically describe who you really are as a champion (taking down enemy, survival and supporting your team).
But that doesn't really explain why someone with as many wins as me is being matched against people who are woefully worse.

topboy

05-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazzy Pants View Post
But that doesn't really explain why someone with as many wins as me is being matched against people who are woefully worse.
You probably lost a few matches before pairing with baddies? : D

Just finish a nice game.

Check out my assists and deaths ; )

Worst K/D ever!

Win count doesn't matter. Its all about your champion and not living off someone work.

Vermftw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-25-2010

It. Means. Nothing. At. All.

http://img706.imageshack.us/i/lolfail2.jpg/

After they adjusted MM to prioritize level more, you find that there are a lot of people with several hundred wins who are pretty clueless.

Snazzy Pants

05-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermftw View Post
It. Means. Nothing. At. All.

http://img706.imageshack.us/i/lolfail2.jpg/

After they adjusted MM to prioritize level more, you find that there are a lot of people with several hundred wins who are pretty clueless.
But how does that explain someone like me being paired with people with wins that are 1/4th of mine? I can't help but think that it's a reflection on my abilities.

Also, it's me, Herborist.

Vermftw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-25-2010

Quote:
But how does that explain someone like me being paired with people with wins that are 1/4th of mine? I can't help but think that it's a reflection on my abilities.

Also, it's me, Herborist.
I think it's more of a reflection of their abilities.

Btw, did you defriend me?

Snazzy Pants

05-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermftw View Post
I think it's more of a reflection of their abilities.

Btw, did you defriend me?
So you're saying that instead of giving me harder opponents, the game is giving me worse team mates?

My little brother deleted half my list when I left LoL online. Feel free to re-add me when you can.

Fatwa

05-25-2010

Quote:
So you're saying that instead of giving me harder opponents, the game is giving me worse team mates?

My little brother deleted half my list when I left LoL online. Feel free to re-add me when you can.
Matchmaking cannot account for someone taking a champion they're not familiar with, nor can you account for the composition the other team has. There is quite a bit of room for misrepresentation of 'skill' when matchmaking.

Those people with 1/4th your wins may have had 10-12 game losing streaks due to teams with feeders, afkers, disconnects. They may have played a large number of practice games, they may have done any number of things that would not directly display their skill level in an appropriate fashion.

It's a bad system, and now that we're paired closer to our level as a stopgap for the bad system, you're getting clearer evidence.

JustDavid

05-25-2010

Most likely, they have somehow inflated their Elo. It could be that they had a winning streak, or they were in a premade with another level 30. Either way, Elo does not reflect off of wins (or KDA).

The problem with KDA is that it hardly means anything. I've seen people who do nothing in a team fight, and jump in to get the (or fail to get the) last hits. They have an extremely good KDA (6/0/6), but are they good? Definitely no. On the other hand, I see tanks who rush in first to initate the fight. If we are lucky, the tank dies of FF and the carries destroy everyone on their team. What does this mean for the tank? 1 death, 5 assist (at best, sometimes its lower but he did help win the fight).