General Comparions: LoL and HoN

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Benedict Arnold

09-15-2009

1. Graphics and interface

This is the most immediate difference I noticed with LoL and HoN. Whereas LoL's graphics are of acceptable quality, HoN obviously takes Warcraft III's style and improves on it. The opening menu screen has superb artwork and the menu graphics are well designed and pleasing to the eye. LoL on the other hand has minimal artwork and blocky, simple buttons and screens. Whereas LoL has buttons all over the screen, HoN's buttons seem to be located at more logical places, allowing the user to easier use the interface. It's a minor point that more experienced users will not care about, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Overall, HoN's interface is beautiful, professional, and makes you enthusiastic about playing the game. LoL's interface is very underwhelming in comparison.

HoN is also much better during character selection. In HoN, each hero's abilities and descriptions are displayed right there on the screen, while in LoL you have to click another button to see all the information. Again, not a problem for experienced players.

Character artwork in HoN is much better in my opinion. The artwork is more of a painting style that really adds to the darker and serious setting of HoN. LoL's artwork looks like it was done by different artists, each hero has a different body proportion, and overall any given hero looks out of place when standing next to another hero.

In-game graphics are also extremely different. As before, HoN models its style after WCIII and Dota, even giving the creeps a similiar look. Textures and models are better than LoL, but I found that there was less character detail than LoL, and LoL had smoother animation. HoN's animation seemed jerky and blocky at times, while LoL's animations have always been smooth.

In HoN, many of your hero's stats are displayed right there on the screen, without having to click on your hero portrait to know everything.

WINNER: HON

2. Gameplay

When I heard the HoN was a direct copy of DOTA, I never really knew how true that statement was. Almost every single element from DOTA was reproduced in HoN, straight down to the "xxxx pwned xxxx's head for 215 gold!" messages.

Item selections in HoN is again straight out of DOTA. Unlike LoL, HoN has no "suggested items" making it difficult for newer players to try out heroes and items. LoL has a better Item selection screen, easily breaking down item categories that make it easy to buy what you're looking for. HoN on the other hand borrows the same clunky item selection and recipe formation from DOTA.

Gameplay in HoN is exactly the same as DOTA. Go to a lane, last hit and deny, gank at mid lvl, push at end game. LoL on the other hand has no deny system, making hero to hero combat more important, and ultimately makes the beginning of the game more enjoyable. Instead of spending 15 minutes last hitting and denying trying to keep creeps towards your side in HoN, LoL rewards you for being offensive.

Heroes from HoN are again almost direct ports from DOTA. They are so similiar, players in HoN were calling their hero's by their DOTA name instead of the HoN name, because they were directly transferable.

HoN again borrows the stat system from DOTA, while LoL takes a differenct approach, not tying your hero down to a certain stat build. As in DOTA, in HoN if you have an agility hero you stack agility, strength heroes stack strength, etc. In LoL you are much more free in your build.

WINNER: LOL

Overall, just looking at the 2 games, my personal opinion is that LoL will ultimately be the better game. HoN has shown that their developers lack any vision or ingenuity, and I doubt they can progress any further than their initial release. LoL has many newer, better ideas for the direction of DOTA-like games, and I believe the future lies with LoL. The only thing holding back LoL from widespread success is the cartoony style andgraphics that many, MANY, experienced gamers will immedietely dislike.

HappyNihil

09-15-2009

Please, there are already multiple threads regarding LoL vs. HoN.
All of them end in Lol fanboys trashing HoN, the same as HoN fanboys trash LoL on HoN forums.
Judging from your text this is probably not what you want, but you´re basically baiting them.

Thx for your comparison, but pls don´t start these flamewars again.

Benedict Arnold

09-15-2009

I'm sorry if it's wrong to post my observations about the game, I didn't see it under any "unacceptable threads" list.

shalmack

09-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNihil View Post
Please, there are already multiple threads regarding LoL vs. HoN.
All of them end in Lol fanboys trashing HoN, the same as HoN fanboys trash LoL on HoN forums.
Judging from your text this is probably not what you want, but you´re basically baiting them.

Thx for your comparison, but pls don´t start these flamewars again.

I liked his post for I don't know much about HoN so it was nice to read a bit of insight on someones experience of the game.

Phaerius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2009

Tried HoN today, I feel that while it could be an enjoyable experience. It takes the worst parts of DoTA and replicates them exactly. Item system, hero balance/advancement and gameplay mechanics. The graphics are obviously its strongest point but it does have a problem I found. Heroes are not instantly recognizable. Everything seems to blend together with the backdrop and units all seeming to flow into one green/brown mass.

Nex Sanctum

09-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korialstrazs View Post
Tried HoN today, I feel that while it could be an enjoyable experience. It takes the worst parts of DoTA and replicates them exactly. Item system, hero balance/advancement and gameplay mechanics. The graphics are obviously its strongest point but it does have a problem I found. Heroes are not instantly recognizable. Everything seems to blend together with the backdrop and units all seeming to flow into one green/brown mass.
"Legionnaire up top!" *ded* "...F*** it was Zues! X.x"

mermin

09-15-2009

i love HoN because maliken > that garbage man dr mundo

plasmatorture

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2009

HoN is GRIMDARK and LoL is just awesome in comparison.

I did, however, have an extremely fun game where I was Ogre Magi (I mean, Blacksmith?) and our Sand King (er, Magmus?) had gotten farmed into being kinda a dps when I bloodlusted (er, frenzied) him. Plus, the enemy Madman who had gotten awfully farmed died and dropped his Divine Rapier and Magmus picked it up.... our base was empty except for the Tree and they still had everything, so as a final gambit with our whole team shouting over voice chat, the SK and I pushed mid while our other three who were all CC heroes tried to keep our base in tact. We made it to their final building and thanks to my cyclone stick and fireballs stopping their interference, finished their main victory when ours was literally one hit away from being killed by whoever was attacking it.

It was probably one of the best moments in my gaming life tbh.

But that was -em and we were all pretty nooby.

LoL is a better game overall I think.

WEREW0LF

07-29-2010

One of the BIGGEST differences and probably the BEST features of LoL *OVER* HoN is that the casters and "agility" style / assasins.... Scale. Abilities and spells in LoL SCALE. where as in HoN they often do not unless the ability is specifically listed as a 'will do % of damage' So in HoN (and also often DotA) the Tanks become WAY too over powered. if they have decent abilities or support they can become unstoppable.

Second of all I dont aggree that the heros are EXACT copies of DotA in HON. they have a lot of inovative abilities. my main gripe with HoN and the heros abilities (for example) is that it seemed like EVERYONE had a leap in / dash or a leapout / dash out. Everyone. The graphics visually are nice on Hon *HOWEVER* when you get that detailed and small - at first I could not tell my hero from anyone else. LoL has distinct Champions and they dont all hae he same abilities. And they scale. Letting a caster kick butt in the end. I might even dare say casters have an edge in LoL... and the Summoner spells add a whole other element of strat to it.

I find i enjoy more and stress less playing LoL. because as it was stated, the SAME issues and frustration is in HoN as DotA. The *only* thing id change about LoL is a cache to buy stuff, i hate to sell stuff to buy things I need and/or an ability to buy when not in base.

I liked couriers but they were in many ways an over powered item as well. I'd say in general HoN and (later builds of DotA) cater to the POWER gamer mentality. You could play a 'perfect' game to never go heal or return to base, constantly leveling. Where as I think LoL does feel a little more like a team game with less power gamer heros. there are still those that get STRONG but less Ego seems ot be found in LoL making it a more enjoyable casual gaming experience.

Ghouley

07-29-2010

merge LoLs gameplay with HoNs graphics and i will be a happy chappy.