[Guide]Warwick is just a win machine

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ovy

05-30-2010

Krald - nice job with the team fight section. When I first read it, I thought it somewhat vague and confusing. Then, I played 30 or so games with WW, and it seems that is *exactly* what I end up doing in team fights. Q harass the tank leading up to the fight (if you can do it safely), ult the first non-tank to get out of position, and otherwise, wait for all hell to break loose and ult whatever squishy they have that does not have cleanse.

I find that with the right survivability items, and proper timing on the "jump into the fray and eat faces" moment, I'm actually one of the more difficult champs to kill, especially given that after you pop your ultimate, the fight is quickly 5v4 - leading the enemy to do exactly what you want them to do - flee.

You're also right that bloodrazor is the only damage item you need. Bloodrazor, merc treads, and then build survivability or team utility, whichever your team would benefit from most. Often, my tank builds an aegis (and I'm still not sold on stark's), so I build survivabiity.

Banshees veil is obviously your friend, and its a rare game that goes 40+ minutes and I am not building one as my 3rd or 4th major item. However, a couple other items for you to consider that you had not specifically mentioned:

1) Randuin's omen. God that thing is fantastic, and the Warden's mail is very effective even before you have finished the final item. The active is great and it is my favorite choice for teams with more than 1 strong physical dps. On other champs I would build a thornmail, but on WW I want both armor and HP on that 3rd item - I prefer the Omen to Sunfire and Frozen Heart. (Yes, I know sunfire has armor and hp, but the passive and active on the Omen, imo are much stronger than the puny sunfire effect.

2) Frozen mallet. The health is amazing. The slow is amazing. Sure, it is expensive, but if the game goes late (when WW traditionally has trouble with item scaling), this can be a game-changer. It almost always turns team fight wins into aces, which make all the difference after 45 mins. I actually get the most mileage out of this item in comeback victories. If you're winning, you don't need it, but if you're inhibs are down (and you haven't given up), this is the one item that in my experience can actually turn things around.

Just thought I'd add my two cents there for itemization. Aegis, BV, Omen, and the mallet are my favorite survivability items on WW. With just two of those, you have 3000+ hp and significant mitigation to their strongest damage source. Makes WW extremely difficult to kill and boosts his utility in team fights immensely.

Thanks again!

Krald

06-25-2010

i will definitely really test randuins and frozen mallet, I've thought about mallet but I wasn't quite sure. When I get back from my summer craziness I will give it a shot, thanks

Krald

06-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisewind View Post
Thanks for the guide Krald. Excellent read especially when you go over specific matchups, strategy, and scenarios. I've improved immensely since reading and applying your guide.

Question though, what exactly do you do against Jax players? Do you just avoid them completely? Im not sure if this is correct but it seems Ult with MBR does less damage on him than other heroes.
The thing is Jax generally will have a solid amount of health, so if you can manage to hit them you can deal some decent damage. Also your Q will hit him nicely. As far was 1v1 scenarios, it generally comes down to RNG. If he dodges a lot, he wins. If he doesn't you win. I don't recommend using your ult or ever targetting him in teamfights though. Let the bursters take care of him

Krald

08-30-2010

bumpity bump

huhwhat

08-30-2010

Hey Krald, great guide!

I read your guide, but skimmed most of the other comments....I did see someone addressed your item recommendations, namely the one for aegis (almost every tank gets this, so this is usually redundant), and wit's end (only effective on low mana champs, otherwise best to get more damage, but I believe you addressed this with the mention of the recommended champs).

I agree on the tankage--usually better to get tank (either MR or armor, depending on other team) after Madred's (or even before, if need be), but I was wondering about frozen heart--I was under the impression with flat CDR runes and blue buff (which I usually grab, along with the neutral monster buff mastery), I thought that hit the cap on cooldown reduction?

Also, I find myself generally preferring to hold off on lvl2 boots (or usually, merc treads, except for the rare occasion of melee heavy teams where ninja tabi's may be more desirable) and preferring to get 2 points into 'E' before level 10, but I as well change up my skill point allocation, depending on how fast team fighting occurs (in which case, I'll put more into 'W')...but in general, 'Q' is the first to 5 for me, with emphasis on R at 6, 11, and 16, and 'E' last to level.

I was wondering (and maybe you addressed this) why you didn't mention Black Cleaver though, as well as Guardian Angel. I almost always get guardian angel as my first tank item (besides boots), unless the other team is heavy either magic or melee damage.

Black Cleaver I feel is a great item for warwick, but usually I only get this if I feel I our team is in need of more dps and I can get away with it (as in I won't regret getting this over more tank), at least, I feel it's more desirable and effective than Wit's End.

I'm not much of a fan of lifesteal on warwick, given I think his 'Q' and passive do a great job of keeping him up, but wondering what you thought of it? I noticed you did recommend Starks, and typically I don't grab this, but usually this is due to another dps provided the aura...any thoughts on bloodthirsters or other lifesteal heavy items?

I feel that the other popular junglers--Udyr and Olaf--are pretty difficult to bring down 1v1, and I'll often have to disengage as they have either superior damage or tank (even when at the same level). Not much experience with Amumu or Fiddlestick junglers, and only an occasional Yi or Xin Zhao, but I feel these two (Udyr and Olaf) are your more likely adversaries in addition to other Warwicks, and I was wondering if I'm alone in this experience (having to run away), or if you have more focused tips on these two...

Finally I think that Warwick's have an issue with blowing their Ult's way too soon. I think there are times where it makes a great opener (such as catching someone, and keeping them there for your team to smash who are very close by), but all to often I find that people over estimate themselves against warwick, and won't blow their escapes until its too late, if you save your ult for the*END* of a fight. More often than not, if you open with the ult, when you finish your ult, you're either in a bad situation, or the person gets away...Didn't know if you had more thoughts on this?

Thanks for the guide!

CrazyBolas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-30-2010

Very interesting strat guide, I'm going to try out the defensive masteries, haven't used those much at all before, should be worth a shot.