Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide]Warwick is just a win machine

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krald

05-23-2010

So after the recent buff to Warwick, I have had crazy amounts of success at moderately high ELO (I previously played with many top level players before I quit) running this build and jungle strat. Sure, Warwick is straightforward, but because of this I see many players get lazy when they play the champion, and just fail miserably. As of writing this my win loss since the patch has been about 13-3, (technically 16-3ish if you count all of the inhouse games I've ran) which is quite good, especially considering one of those losses was a 3v5 and another was against a premade heal comp while solo queuing.

Anyways,

Runes

Marks-Armor Pen
Seals-Dodge
Glyphs-Magic Resist/level or Cooldown. (I personally enjoy the cooldown for better jungling and ult spammage)
Quints-Starting health

Spells

Smite and Ghost, I can't really think of anything else except maybe cleanse or rally, all the others have eventually worthless effects on warwick.

Masteries

1/18/11

Picking up improved smite in offensive, the obvious defensive talents (DONT pick up the reduced damage from minions and monsters, you don't need it at all) and improved ghost, monster buff duration, and greed.

Skill choice

Warwick is one of the few champions where you will vary your skill build ALOT. I generally change mine every game. Although most players will tell you R>Q>W>E, don't listen to this. You don't always need to constantly pump points into W, and you need points into E more than you think. The range increase is HUGE, and will net you a really hefty amount of kills. I won't give you a concrete skill build, but I will say this, your starting build should be:

W
Q
Q
E
Q
R

From there, I generally find myself getting alternating levels of all 3 spells, and trying to get E up quickly, as it helps tremendously if I'm ganking a lot.

Item Build

Let me start off by saying this: Warwick is not a carry. If warwick is a carry, you might as well say Taric is a carry. You also should probably say that alistar is a carry. No, warwick is a decent ganker, a semi-initiator, a buff controller (more important than you think), and a superb tower killer and tank melter. Build him as such.

Start: Cloth armor and 5 Health potions.

Madred's Razor
Mercuries Treads
MR>>>Madred's Bloodrazor

This absolutely, without a doubt, is all the damage you need to fill your role as Warwick. Most of your kills will be on retreating foes, and because this is based on percentage, its more than enough to finish the job. Most of your damage will be from the burst of your ultimate, which will also skyrocket from this item. Because you hit them a set amount of times, your damage from your ultimate will generally deal about 30-50% of a targets health, depending on the magic resist they have.

From here it varies. If you are facing a heavy physical team, pick up:
Frozen Heart

For Anivia, Blitzcrank, Kassadin, Janna, and Ezreal, pick up
Wit's End
Don't pick this up unless one of those champions are in the game.

For all other cases (this will normally be your choice)
Aegis of the Legion

Your next item should be frozen heart if you neglected to pick it up before-hand, or Aegis if the contrary.

After this, pick up
Stark's Fervor

The game WILL be over once you have starks. Most of my games actually end when I finish Aegis.

Remember, its important to communicate with your team as to which items they are picking up, so you don't double up on one of the aura items. If everyone on your team is picking up one of these, you can easily pick up your favorite survivability item, such as sunfire or banshees veil.

Jungling

Pretty simple, pick up W, go to the lifesteal camp close to mid tower, smite the blue minion, hit W, and smash the camp. Proceed to camp closest to golem. Hit W, smash the camp, chug a health potion. Pick up Q, get the golem down to 600 health, smite. Proceed to lizard buff. Get the lizard down to 620 health, then kill the smaller monsters until smite is up, smite lizard. Gank where appropriate. I almost always get first blood at this time, its very easily done with decent teammates, particularly in the side solo lane where enemies are getting cocky. Pick up Madreds Razor and solo dragon at level 5. Once you get your ult, rinse and repeat both buffs, and gank like a madman. Once you gank, push a lane hard. Nashor circa level 14 or so. Win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PwjmAK3flY

If you need visual assistance. Ignore the fact that he has exhaust. This was pre-buff Warwick as well.

Countering Cleanse

This might seem like some pretty obvious advice, but honestly I didn't think of it until recently, and it drastically changed my Warwick game. It's a well-known fact that Warwick's ult is completely screwed over by cleanse, which is why you respond with the simple memory game. Make a mental note at champion select, and I mean always make a mental note, of which champions have cleanse. In solo queue games, simply avoid ulting these champions. If you are premade, or have great communication with your team, ask your team if a certain champions cleanse has been used in the last 2 minutes, or time it yourself if you saw it used. Also, remember red rune is your friend. Many times champions have tried to cleanse the slow from red rune in desperation to save their life, only to be followed up by an ultimate for the finishing blow. Now they're dead, and their Cleanse will be off cooldown for another minute or so once they've respawned.

Teamfighting

Honestly I would say that teamfighting properly is what separates decent Warwicks from ones that single-handedly change games. You've certainly inspired me to get some logistics together in this regard and write a section devoted to this. Generally, if I'm allowed to open up my ult on an enemy that's out of position, if they don't die during I will simply back out appropriately and wait for Q to be back up. My primary concern is staying alive at this stage in the fight. Keeping myself up and providing my team with all of my aura bonuses is much more useful than a quick kill on a champion followed by my death.

If you are fighting near brush, it is your friend. Juke in and out with only popping out to use Q and auto-attack when the smoke has cleared a tid bit from the onslaught of aoe ultimates. I have literally stayed alive at different intervals of 10-400 hp for a full 15 seconds and got out alive because of proper juking and Q spammage. After the fight has been decided, if it was in your favor, this is where the team really pays for their loss. I've gotten numerous multi-kills with Warwick, and almost all of them are killing retreating teams. Even if you get chain stunned while trying to chase, your absurd move-speed with your E and ghost will let you finish off basically anyone. This is the game changer for your team, as this opens up insane push windows or easy time to do Nashor and end the game.

Champions worth waiting on

There are certain champion's that are worth waiting to use your ultimate against. Although the general rule is to dish it out asap, against these guys you need to hold your fire until the appropriate timing:
Fiddlesticks (if you can't catch him while he's channeling, try to catch him away from your team, DO NOT waste your ult if he is already cawcawcawing all over your team's grill. The duration of your ultimate is very short., Nunu, Katarina, Ezreal (hard to time but sick if you do) If I miss any let me know.

Great Allies

Teemo-His mushrooms make for some hilarious shenanigans in the other team's forest. They pop a shroom at low hp, you chase for some great fun. Also, your ult, combined with his blinding dart and exhaust completely make a carry worthless in a team fight.

Janna-A great ally to nearly anyone, however her shield will make your ultimate do some incredible damage, and keep you alive for the initial burst after your initiation.

Nidalee-Her heal will make you burn through anyone ridiculously fast, and her traps can save you some money on wards many times.

Any solo hero-You're a jungler, thus you will need two solo heroes. Try to ensure that your team always has two of these.

Scary enemies
Shaco-Shaco is a really, really tough counter to you. He will always be trying to control buffs, as much as you are, and smart players will let you take a buff, and leave a nasty surprise of jitb nests right outside the lizard area, only to kill you, jack your buff, and rape your team. Buy wards, they will save you so much against this guy. No need for oracles generally unless he is backdooring constantly.

Twitch- Another lizard buff lover, smart twitch player's will stealth behind you as you are doing lizard, try to steal it, then kill you if they are successful. If you get lizard snatched, you will die if it is early-mid game. Bend over and take it. Buy vision wards for this if it is an issue.

Twisted Fate- Everyone hates Twisted Fate, but Warwick has a special place for him in his heart. There isn't really much you can do to counter this one, except be aware when his ultimate is up, and if it is, try to stay in good health, near allies, and if you get more farmed than him, nothing is more satisfying than ulting a gated in TF who gets cocky enough to try and kill you.

Enemy junglers- Other junglers are normally rare, except for other warwicks, but when they are in the game, they tend to be very annoying. Purchasing Sight Wards and coordinating well with your team to shut them down and control the other side's buffs will ruin an enemy jungler, and sometimes effectively make the game a 4v5. Make this a priority.

Summary

Warwick's current state in this game is extremely powerful. Jungle, pick up Madreds, get items to help your team, control buffs, initiate small encounters, push towers, overall just be an incredibly significant force that is shrouded by a straight-forward character.

Anyways, get out there and increase those Warwick W/L ratios

LadyEve

Recruiter

05-23-2010

Quote:
Krald:
You don't always need to constantly pump points into W, and you need points into E more than you think. The range increase is HUGE, and will net you a really hefty amount of kills.

Oh. I know that's right

*cough*enemyjunglers*cough*

I remember my brother used to get so pissed with me for not prioritizing it, because I was pretty ignorant with passive skills. Should have listened to him earlier.

+1 for this guide.

Krald

05-23-2010

Quote:
LadyEve:
Oh. I know that's right

*cough*enemyjunglers*cough*

I remember my brother used to get so pissed with me for not prioritizing it, because I was pretty ignorant with passive skills. Should have listened to him earlier.

+1 for this guide.

haha thanks man. I used to only get one point myself, and then I realized how much the range increase actually was, and I started getting many more kills once I pumped some points in. Also, I accidentally cut off some key parts to the guide, so be sure to check those out

Yana

05-23-2010

Nice guide. But here's a question as somebody who's just messing around with warwick. Say there's a low health hero I want to gank. How do you avoid the warwick alert airraid siren from scaring your opponent off from half the map away?

Krald

05-23-2010

Haha that's actually a fair question. I haven't thought about that. I guess the best answer would be that fact that it gives you sight of a champion certainly helps a lot more than the fact that they know your coming hurts. In most situations, if you get the buff, you will catch them anyway with your absurd move speed. If they are tower hugging, then you can generally kill many champions anyway without much harm from your ult+Q.

I personally enjoy watching people squirm when they know I'm lurking in the distance.

Lordarcane

05-24-2010

Thanks for the guide, I've been having good success with your methods.

Krald

05-24-2010

bump

Nihil Sine Nefas

05-24-2010

I don't think you really need to get Aegis and Frozen Heart if another Tank/Support on your team are getting them. I'd much rather get a Guardian Angel and/or Banshee's.

Krald

05-24-2010

Quote:
Nihil Sine Nefas:
I don't think you really need to get Aegis and Frozen Heart if another Tank/Support on your team are getting them. I'd much rather get a Guardian Angel and/or Banshee's.

I absolutely addressed this.

"Remember, its important to communicate with your team as to which items they are picking up, so you don't double up on one of the aura items. If everyone on your team is picking up one of these, you can easily pick up your favorite survivability item, such as sunfire or banshees veil."

Read the whole guide man, haha.

FountainSquatter

05-24-2010

you got 31 points in ur masteries.