Mac Users

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Betterfuture

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuujinx View Post
I find it funny that the main reason has been "OMG YOU'RE LOSING SO MANY CUSTOMERS"

Mac has what? Like 12% Market share? How many of those 12% -actually- game on their macs? And how many of that population would -actually- be playing LoL? I'm willing to bet, not that many.

I know when I buy a mac the last thing on my mind is gaming, because if I wanted to game a windows PC will do it better, easier and for less money.

So sorry the best buy/apple employee managed to con you into buying a mac because "Everything works fine with VMFusion!" but you aren't a priority. Getting features like draft mode is.
I agree that the losing so many customers comment is rubbish, I'm interested in trying this game on off time, but I certainly didnt get my mac to game.

Stop complaining that the game isn't on mac, so many MAJOR games arent on mac, complain to the companies with budgets first. Or pirate windows (I do not support buying windows) and run bootcamp, it's easy after that.

But a PC is not "better" at gaming, just because it has a larger selection. If Mac user wanted to they could easily install boot camp and everything is peachy, I just personally dont want to partition my drive for a window into hell... sorry windows. Or buy a disk.

T4indahouse

02-23-2010

Soooooo, they should make a mac version.

Who cares if not that many people play it on mac, for the people that dont use Windows, we want to play this on our macs. Pretty simple.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

02-24-2010
8 of 9 Riot Posts

T4: Lets look at a cost benefit scenario.

Let's say it costs them 15k in resources and total employee wages to create a Mac version. Let's say that 10,000 Mac players will play the game, and 500 will spend an average of $40 on it. In this case, they would make $20k, so it was worth it.

^ is what matters to marketing analysts. Of course Riot wants to bring their game to as many different market shares as possible, but only if it's profitable. Engaging in unprofitable practices = business goes bankrupt = no more LoL for ANYONE to play.

Fortunately for you, someone must have found making the game for Macs WOULD be profitable, since it's in the extended pipeline.

Kimosabi

02-25-2010

So they are going to start developing a verision for MAC OS's? If so when is the expected release date for that format?

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

02-26-2010

Yes, there is a plan to develop a Mac client, but because playability is available through bootcamp and for a few other reasons, there is no set timeline for a release yet.

RyuuKitten

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betterfuture View Post
I agree that the losing so many customers comment is rubbish, I'm interested in trying this game on off time, but I certainly didnt get my mac to game.

Stop complaining that the game isn't on mac, so many MAJOR games arent on mac, complain to the companies with budgets first. Or pirate windows (I do not support buying windows) and run bootcamp, it's easy after that.

But a PC is not "better" at gaming, just because it has a larger selection. If Mac user wanted to they could easily install boot camp and everything is peachy, I just personally dont want to partition my drive for a window into hell... sorry windows. Or buy a disk.
No, a PC is better because it has better hardware for the same price. With a mac you pay for the name, the solid construction and the fancy extra features (multitouch touchpad? ****ing awesome.)

But macs are NOT better as far as processing goes.

ěperator

03-02-2010

Cool! I really hope they come out with the Mac version soon. I do play LoL through bootcamp but a lot of times I have problems with XP crashing/freezing.

bsdhacker

03-08-2010

I would very much enjoy a native Linux client. I would even be willing to help port the game myself in my spare time.

What I'd like to know is whether Riot wrote the game using raw directx, or an abstraction layer that generates or translates to directx. In the latter case, it's fairly easy to swap to an opengl API instead.

Anyway, I wish more companies would begin their game development in a UNIX (ie Linux, Mac, BSD) environment so that it is completely cross-platform from the start. (They will always have Windows compatibility in mind when developing...) There is some overhead in maintaining multiple build targets, but the code itself should always abstract out platform-specific sections.

Lessons from a seasoned Software Engineer.

ZhengMaster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2010

I use a mac and use parallels to run LoL but the only problem is that the text in game does not appear. I can see the chat and text pre-game. I believe that it has something to do with the swf files that pertain to the text and I am trying to find a way to change that so that parallels can run LoL smoothly. For those that hate having to restart their macs to use bootcamp, I suggest getting parallels once this problem is solved.

I believe that it would be a worthy investment on Riots part to fix the swf files problem that deals with the text in game to allow parallels to read the text during in-game combat so that mac users have another option rather than bootcamp to play LoL.

ShovahNL

03-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3st View Post
I use a mac and use parallels to run LoL but the only problem is that the text in game does not appear. I can see the chat and text pre-game. I believe that it has something to do with the swf files that pertain to the text and I am trying to find a way to change that so that parallels can run LoL smoothly. For those that hate having to restart their macs to use bootcamp, I suggest getting parallels once this problem is solved.

I believe that it would be a worthy investment on Riots part to fix the swf files problem that deals with the text in game to allow parallels to read the text during in-game combat so that mac users have another option rather than bootcamp to play LoL.
I had the same problem. What version of Parallels are you using? I used version 4 and fixed the problem by installing version 5.

I would really love to see a Mac version as well. I usually played it on Bootcamp or Parallels when I didn't want to restart my Macbook, but it's far from ideal. I actually stopped playing LoL because of it.