Beginner's Guide to Ranked Games

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

B4F8

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2012

hey so i was given captain rating of a team and now it wont allow me to invite anyone i only have 7 / 9 spot filled so i should be able to invite more right?

is there any way that this problem could be fixed? if so how?

descimation

01-29-2012

Would it be best to play normal draft mode before diving into ranked? I have been playing for a while now and have been meaning to try out ranked, but with all the horror stories about it I have never really tried it...so is playing normal draft mode a good way to to get used to the ranked the style of play?

Rounder22

01-30-2012

I want to start playing ranked soon. I have about 350 wins in normals. I have about 45 characters unlocked.

I prefer to jungle, top or support. I can do any of these decently well. I am not a good AP mid and I'm only so so at AD carry.

I have 6 to 8 characters at each of those 3 positions I can play.

Do I need to be capable of playing all 5 equally well or can I stick to those 3 roles?

YurdleTheTurtle

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by descimation View Post
Would it be best to play normal draft mode before diving into ranked? I have been playing for a while now and have been meaning to try out ranked, but with all the horror stories about it I have never really tried it...so is playing normal draft mode a good way to to get used to the ranked the style of play?
You won't get anywhere if you don't jump in! If you're concerned, normal draft is great practice. At the very least it'll give you an idea of bans, picks, and counter picks. You'll learn that a good team composition can mean a lot.

The only unfortunate thing about normal draft is the increased amount of time it takes to get into a game, not just because of the drafting process, but also because of more queue dodging due to the lighter penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadolok View Post
I want to start playing ranked soon. I have about 350 wins in normals. I have about 45 characters unlocked.

I prefer to jungle, top or support. I can do any of these decently well. I am not a good AP mid and I'm only so so at AD carry.

I have 6 to 8 characters at each of those 3 positions I can play.

Do I need to be capable of playing all 5 equally well or can I stick to those 3 roles?
Ideally you want to be decent enough at all roles to fill any gaps that may occur. However, it's not required to master all roles (though it helps!).

For example, my weakest role is AD carry, although I am capable of playing as all the other roles. This really has never been a problem for me in ranked games.

YurdleTheTurtle

04-04-2012

Felt like posting up a little story to motivate ranked players:

Don't give up unless it truly is over. In one of my games, it seemed like we were going to lose from the start.

In draft, one player only wanted Talon, and picked him regardless of what the team needed. This resulted in us not having a jungler, so our Graves went Heal and Smite.

Graves couldn't jungle - after getting red (and starting with Doran's Blade), he came back to lane with low health. It didn't help that they had a Caitlyn + Soraka at bot lane. So I was basically solo'ing bottom as Leona for a long time, Graves had a bad start/wasted a lot of time/farm, and we had no jungler and 2 top.

To make matters worse, top was arguing with each other, throwing insults and generally negative due to what happened in draft. They both wanted a solo lane, which clearly was not possible. Vladimir at top decided to "troll him back" and tried jungling. It didn't work out, resulting in wasted time as he decided it was better if he just went back to lane.

Funny thing was, we still won this game. To recap, we had an AD carry who had a very bad start and Smite, no junglers, and 2 champions at top with players who hated each other and appeared uncooperative.

Don't give up unless it's really over!

YurdleTheTurtle

04-05-2012

Made a huge update to Elo rating sections. Also added in links/information about Lyte and his matchmaking feedback endeavors.

One thing I'm looking forward to is their change to penalties for queue dodging ranked. It looks like they'll be replacing loss of Elo with something else.

YurdleTheTurtle

05-26-2012

I'm going to eventually do a massive update to further help those new to ranked games.

Although the guide is very informative, it's really only information on what ranked draft, ratings, etc. mean. However, it doesn't truly prepare newcomers for ranked.

Goal is to add a section detailing how to prepare for ranked, fill with tips and info on said topic.

-Runes choices
-Mastery choices
-Common bans, picks, and team composition tips
-Other little tidbits regarding gameplay
-Improving one's self

Unfortunately since I don't play a lot of Twisted Treeline (3v3) or Dominion, I can't provide much on those.

YurdleTheTurtle

08-19-2012

NOTE: I have begun Part 2! Check it out here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1#post28408491

Part 2 contains gameplay tips on how to actually prepare for ranked games. Includes info on the meta, runes, masteries, etc.

ryzeonline

11-12-2012

Yurdle! This is incredible! What a great resource, it would've saved me tons of frustration if I'd found it a year ago lol.

I found it while doing research for part 4 of my own guide "Solo Q Secrets".

Anyway, I love the detail, the attitude, and the updates, man, and I'm gonna go check out part 2!

Thanks for sharing this!

YurdleTheTurtle

05-05-2013

Updated the guide for season 3! Now includes information on the new League system (basically the new ranked games system).

Part 2 has also been updated.