Item Builds for Poppy?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

7hanatos

05-22-2010

I really am starting to like this champ, but I'm not really sure what a good build for her is. I've been doing the following:

Saphire Crystal 2x pots
Boots
Sheen
finish Boots
Phage
Trinity Force
Bloodthirster
Madreds Bloodrazor

I also want to know what kind of runes people put on Poppy?

JunKx

05-22-2010

im curious about poppy too - i've been doing calculations and it seems AP build is just as damaging as AD build early on, but will vastly out damage AD late game with lich bane

Quick Sand

05-22-2010

I've only played her AP recently and it's very effective as far as I've seen, with lich bane being the central item.

I would imagine if you went DPS, you might as well get ghostblade.

Personally, if not AP, I would go a semi-tank Atma's build.

Gizamimi

05-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunKx View Post
im curious about poppy too - i've been doing calculations and it seems AP build is just as damaging as AD build early on, but will vastly out damage AD late game with lich bane
I like to build hybrid. Trinity Force, Guinsoo, etc. Granted, I haven't had "exceptional" results with Poppy, bout 1:1 in wins vs losses.

JunKx

05-22-2010

as AP poppy and with just how difficult she is to kill i figure AP build with mejai's could be very successful. with her crazy burst damage you should be able to pull some ganks off especially on TT with her stun (lich bane proc on charge, then on devastating blow).
i haven't played her too much recently however, mostly because im figuring a good build. the only problem i see with AP poppy is the severe lack of hp items...she really has **** HP to begin with even if she is still very hard to kill. Unless of course you get rylai's, which could work since your devastating blows will slow and with boots of swiftness you should be able to continue getting those hits off.
so maybe a build of sapphire crystal - sheen - mejai's - rylais - lich bane - more AP like void staff or right to zhonyas
seems to work great when i play katarina, but hell its easy to get kills as her, haha...i'll experiment tomorrow

Teekink

05-22-2010

I really don't have any experience with poppy, so I was wondering...

Have any of you tried building poppy as a crit character? I think Paragon and DI would make her a nice assassin if she had crits.

gnmish

05-23-2010

Vanilla Poppy is pretty ordinary in her auto-attacks compared to other champions, even with Paragon active, so I would avoid trying Crit-Poppy. But Trinity Force changes all of that, she punches HARD with Devastating Blow and the increased damage, move speed, and chance to slow works very well.

One thing I have been playing lately is Poppy with Boots, Trinity and then run with Haunting Guise to follow, its pretty cheap and late game most good players will have bought some MR to stop you 1-2 ing them in to oblivion, that and I've found the Spell penetration and 10% spell vamp to be very tasty, esp against tanks where your DB scales up in damage.

With this build, ignoring masteries and runes you can punch out 1500 raw damage for a Heroic Charge and DB with Diplo active.

It should also be noted that your DB at level 5 has a 4 sec cooldown and Diplo has a 6 second duration, so that second 140% DB is definitely a possiblity (that's another 1000 damage)

Just imagine the look on Mundo's face when he loses ~2500HP in 6 seconds.....Mundo goes where he's told!

Here's my raw sums if anyone wants to check the working (based on a piddly 50 AP from Trinity and Haunting)

HC (150 + 0.4 x AP + 275 + 0.4 x AP) + 40% Diplo
(150 + 20 + 275 + 20) x 1.4 = 465

DB (100 + 8% Max HP + Base attack +130% (Trinity) + AP) + 40% Diplo
(100 + 375 + 264.5 + 30) x 1.4 = 1077.3

Fruz

05-23-2010

I tryed something fun, and not so bad recently :

1 : Rubis cristal or Doran item
2 : basic boots
3 : sheen
4 : finish boots
5 : trinity
6 : Zeal
7 : Zeal
8 : Upgrade 1 Zeal
9 : Upgrade the second

You can chase nearly everyone, crit damages with devastation are very nice ( well that was a 3v3 game ^^ ).

And more serously, I think that the items after trinity depends of the game, of what your team needs.
If you need deal = Last Whisper
If you need to tank = tank items
If you need something against a full HP char = madred's bloodrazor

=)

JunKx

05-23-2010

i definitely will not build poppy into an auto attack char - i have tryndamere for that and it works much better on him. to build auto attack you are neglecting poppys great abilities.
first i think its important to say devastating blow will not crit - second we're only testing with trinity force and not lich bane. trinity force only adds BASE damage and thus getting added damage doesn't help as much. here are some calculations for ya with poppy and devastating blow, only taking into consideration a few items.

we'll assume all base attack damage is 100 (nice and round). we'll assume the highest possible damage outcomes from devastating blow. we'll also try to use the same amount of money in items, so here we go...

AD Trinity Force + Bloodthirster + Long Sword = 7795 gold (assume max stat bloodthirster) = 230 total damage
(100+130%) 230 base damage + 130 bonus damage + [180 + (.6x30)] 198 + 375 = 933 damage

AP Lich Bane + Mejai's Soulstealer + Rylai's Scepter = 7850 gold (assume max stat soulstealer) = 340 total AP
100 base damage + [180 + (.6x340)] 384 + 375 + 340 lich bane proc = 1199 damage.

In these 2 builds you also have 200 more HP, 50 more MP, a better slow, more MR, 5% less movement speed, 25% less attack speed, 12% less critical hit chance. Not being focused on regular attacks i don't see many negatives with getting lich bane other than trinity force, but you do need some stacks in mejai's.

edit: ok i've been working with AP poppy and its pretty decent. you need to get giants belt for rylai's before a lot of things however, since you are extremely squishy until then. but rylai's is all the hp you'll need, and you will be absolute beast. stacks come somewhat slow until you get lich bane, but once that and some AP start flowing you'll be unstoppable. doing 1200 damage with lich bane soulstealer and rylai's is very damagerous.
i also find boots of mobility to be more useful for ganks for your stacks, instead of swiftness which isn't that much more aspd than normal. lich bane will also proc after charge, then after devastating blow...allowing you to literally 1 combo a lot of their DPSers, and with boots of mobility + flash/charge you can really devastate a team before they know the fight started.
doing a 700 damage charge into wall, 400 damage melee lich bane proc, activating desvastating blow then doing another 1000 or so will really shut up everybody including their tanks.