My starting Item choice list - Based on watching every Dominion livestream

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Death Crave

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2011

So Dominion starts every champion at level 3 and with 1350 gold.

Knowing that I have come up with a list of some of the best choices, and some of the worst choices.

Prospectors Items = Not worth it.

Here is why, although the games are short, they are no shorter than an average 3v3 game.

In a 3v3 game if you managed to get a triple kill at first gank you would have the same amount of gold that you start with in Dominion, and you would never squander it on Dorans items you would get your boots or your rush item components. So since you start with so much gold it stands to reason that it would be wasted on these items when you can buy such better ones right away.

Catalyst vs Tear of the Goddess = Tears of joy.

Yes the tear is better hands down, you have enough time in the waiting room to get almost 10 stacks on it right away which may only be 40 mana, but by the 10 minute mark of the game it will be maxed out.

The Catalyst has one advantage, when you level you also gain health, however the amount is reduced for Dominion giving the edge to the Tear for any mana hungry champion.

Sheen - 100% bonus damage every 2 seconds? Sign me up!

Yeah this one is obvious, you can start with one of the most powerful items there is.
Almost no champions dont benefit from this item. It has to be the best component item ever, it can build into trinity force or lichbane for casters. It gives incredible burst, and scales up throughout the game.

Brutalizer - Seems good, or is it?

It is one of the more powerful melee items giving armorpen and cooldown reduction for a decent price, however with Dominion giving a passive % armorpen bonus the amount of armorpen you get from this item isnt as high as it looks. When removing armor or magic resist you first apply auras then apply base armorpen, then lastly % so the benefit of the % is lower the more normal armorpen you have.

So although at first glance this item looks great, its a pass. It can be useful for the cooldown reduction, but if you think the armorpen is helping your wrong.

Zeal - Makes everyone Zealous of you! (yeah bad puns make no sense but the item does)

It gives movementspeed which will help capture points more effectively. It has 2 build choices, which is nice and that about it. Its good but not the omg must have item, but if you dont need sheen but still need to attack things, this is your best option.

Kindlegem - There is a reason Kindles were sold out around xmas time. (another terrible joke, but another great item.)

Now this one is odd, but the reason is that you can buy this AND your basic boots.
The gem builds nicely into either a support item, or the Spirit Visage which is great for sustainability. Cooldown reductiion is extremely important, and this is the best way of getting it for alot of champions.

Hextech Revolver - Vlad has a gun everyone run.

Your a caster that doesnt like going back to get health, your not worried about mana, and you want to hurt people. Yes this is the perfect item for a few champions, and you can expect to see alot of them.

Fiendish Codex - Hate reading books but they are fun to throw at people.

Now your a caster that needs mana, but not so much that your crying. Yes you need this item it gives mana regen and cooldown reduction. Oh and it gives ability power as well.
It can be made into the Deathfire Grasp which is the best Nuke item in the game, especially being given free Magic Pen in Dominion. So casters hit the books.

Lastly boots, there is never going to be a time when buying your tier 2 boots right away is a noob choice. You need to get around the map ASAP and this is the best way to do it.
However like normal games if your buying Sorcers shoes instead of Lucidity your doing something wrong. You can argue about this all you want, but it comes down to which is easier to get from other items, and Voidstaff being THE BEST spellpen item, well the boots would be wasted.

Remember % reduction doesnt work well with flat reduction. Also cooldown reduction is hard to item for, unless you buy the boots which are the single highest per gold amount reduction item in the game. The 2nd item is Glacial shroud, but that is very specific.

I'm sure there are other good choices I cant think of, so post your favorite item thats under 1350 gold. Why do you like it? Is it a hidden gem or just a bad choice?

Only you can decide.

C00LST0RYBR0

09-04-2011

It's 1375 if I recall. And you could have posted in my thread... http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1191192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Crave View Post
So Dominion starts every champion at level 3 and with 1350 gold.

Knowing that I have come up with a list of some of the best choices, and some of the worst choices.

Prospectors Items = Not worth it.

Here is why, although the games are short, they are no shorter than an average 3v3 game.

In a 3v3 game if you managed to get a triple kill at first gank you would have the same amount of gold that you start with in Dominion, and you would never squander it on Dorans items you would get your boots or your rush item components. So since you start with so much gold it stands to reason that it would be wasted on these items when you can buy such better ones right away.

Disagree. Prospector's Ring gives good stats per gold. AP, regen and health will give you an early advantage stat wise. The reason I don't like the Blade, is because 5% lifesteal is almost useless with 70 - 100 dps. This stat needs to be boosted to like 10% at the very least, otherwise it's almost neglectable.

Catalyst vs Tear of the Goddess = Tears of joy.

Yes the tear is better hands down, you have enough time in the waiting room to get almost 10 stacks on it right away which may only be 40 mana, but by the 10 minute mark of the game it will be maxed out.

The Catalyst has one advantage, when you level you also gain health, however the amount is reduced for Dominion giving the edge to the Tear for any mana hungry champion.

Tear is ok. To max out Tear takes around 13 minutes, assuming you spam two spells every 6 seconds, which is literally impossible. Realisticly I say you can fill Tear about 60-80% in most matches, and that only on very spammy champions, like Sona. Since it is possible to get Rod of Ages as early as 4:00 - 5:00, and it being one of the most cost effective items in the game, I wouldn't say Tear over Catalyst at all.

Can you please provide a source for the reduced healing of Catalyst. I haven't seen that mentioned so far.

Sheen - 100% bonus damage every 2 seconds? Sign me up!

Yeah this one is obvious, you can start with one of the most powerful items there is.
Almost no champions dont benefit from this item. It has to be the best component item ever, it can build into trinity force or lichbane for casters. It gives incredible burst, and scales up throughout the game.

It's certainly not bad, however you won't have boots, which can be quite disadvantageous. I can see this work though. Higher mana and ap, are also nice to have.

Brutalizer - Seems good, or is it?

It is one of the more powerful melee items giving armorpen and cooldown reduction for a decent price, however with Dominion giving a passive % armorpen bonus the amount of armorpen you get from this item isnt as high as it looks. When removing armor or magic resist you first apply auras then apply base armorpen, then lastly % so the benefit of the % is lower the more normal armorpen you have.

So although at first glance this item looks great, its a pass. It can be useful for the cooldown reduction, but if you think the armorpen is helping your wrong.

I can see this work aswell. If you run an armor penetration page you'll do true damage for most of the early game. This can be very strong on physical nukers such as Lee Sin, Pantheon, Renekton, Wukong. Percentage based penetration is most useful versus higher armor target while flat is more useful versus low armor ones.

Zeal - Makes everyone Zealous of you! (yeah bad puns make no sense but the item does)

It gives movementspeed which will help capture points more effectively. It has 2 build choices, which is nice and that about it. Its good but not the omg must have item, but if you dont need sheen but still need to attack things, this is your best option.

Zeal is bad. Movespeed boost is minor, boots will do more. Attack speed and crit with low base damage is not effective.

Kindlegem - There is a reason Kindles were sold out around xmas time. (another terrible joke, but another great item.)

Now this one is odd, but the reason is that you can buy this AND your basic boots.
The gem builds nicely into either a support item, or the Spirit Visage which is great for sustainability. Cooldown reductiion is extremely important, and this is the best way of getting it for alot of champions.

Maybe on a tank; casters will need some sort of regen or mana booster, no matter what.

Hextech Revolver - Vlad has a gun everyone run.

Your a caster that doesnt like going back to get health, your not worried about mana, and you want to hurt people. Yes this is the perfect item for a few champions, and you can expect to see alot of them.

I can see this work on a sustainer that holds the bottom Node lane, like Rumble.

Fiendish Codex - Hate reading books but they are fun to throw at people.

Now your a caster that needs mana, but not so much that your crying. Yes you need this item it gives mana regen and cooldown reduction. Oh and it gives ability power as well.
It can be made into the Deathfire Grasp which is the best Nuke item in the game, especially being given free Magic Pen in Dominion. So casters hit the books.

The stats are good, but I don't like this. It delays Tear or Catalyst.

Lastly boots, there is never going to be a time when buying your tier 2 boots right away is a noob choice. You need to get around the map ASAP and this is the best way to do it.

Depending on the setup, I think pretty much all boots are viable except "Swiftness". There is literally no room for those on this map.

However like normal games if your buying Sorcers shoes instead of Lucidity your doing something wrong. You can argue about this all you want, but it comes down to which is easier to get from other items, and Voidstaff being THE BEST spellpen item, well the boots would be wasted.

Remember % reduction doesnt work well with flat reduction. Also cooldown reduction is hard to item for, unless you buy the boots which are the single highest per gold amount reduction item in the game. The 2nd item is Glacial shroud, but that is very specific.

What is more effective, flat or percentage, depends entirely on the magic resist values of your enemies.

I'm sure there are other good choices I cant think of, so post your favorite item thats under 1350 gold. Why do you like it? Is it a hidden gem or just a bad choice?

Only you can decide.

Fauchard

09-04-2011

The reduced healing on catalyst comes from the global -20% healing and regen reduction.

What about a Phage or Warden's Mail?

C00LST0RYBR0

09-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauchard View Post
The reduced healing on catalyst comes from the global -20% healing and regen reduction.
True. Still, you'll have about 8 level ups within the first 6 minutes. Catalyst will be really strong for holding bottom I presume.

Death Crave

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2011

Wardens Mail is 1400 gold isnt it?

As for Phage with them changing the build of the mallet I am waiting to see how effective it really is.

And yeah the -20% healing will affect the catalyst, and keep in mind rod of ages takes what 20 minutes after you build it to get all its stacks? So even if you have it in the first 6 minutes you wont be at max by the end. Tear wins hands down.

Zeals movespeed isnt high starting out true, but the attackspeed is nice and I am not seeing a better starting option for say Tryndamere. Other than him going boots, but for an item to build into something Zeal into Phantom dancer is one of his better build choices.

Vecuu

09-04-2011

Berserkers Greaves, Health Potions, and Red Elixer

Perfect for your AD champs.

Demonic Ritual

09-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecuu View Post
Berserkers Greaves, Health Potions, and Red Elixer

Perfect for your AD champs.
You can't get elixirs in Dominion, they're disabled.

Nibbels

09-05-2011

Prospector's items seem great, they're almost like 2 Dorans. Compare their stats to Pickaxe/Blasting Wand. + you can start with boots
Starting without boots seems really dumb to me because you'll need the mobility to capture or defend points.
The items you can buy for less than 1000 gold that are (imo) viable are Prospector's, Kindlegem, Chalice, Tear, double Amplifying Tome/Longsword for an early Hextech-Revolver/Brutalizer and Blasting Wand/Pickaxe that are ofc inferior to Prospector's but interesting if you want to rush your core items. Chalice seems useless compared to Tear, but Kindlegem might be a good choice depending on how good the new item Hextech Sweeper will be.

BadgerBarrage

09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Crave View Post
And yeah the -20% healing will affect the catalyst, and keep in mind rod of ages takes what 20 minutes after you build it to get all its stacks? So even if you have it in the first 6 minutes you wont be at max by the end. Tear wins hands down..
It's 10 minutes so it should max shortly before the end of the match if you get one in 6.

TheMarkMark

09-05-2011

Tear of the goddess takes at least 12 minutes to fully stack, and that is with theoretical perfection. It takes longer. If you turn it into manumune it might be faster, I usually play mages, so I'm not sure, but AA staff stacks slower.