Dot DMG stopping captures

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

theuberwar

Senior Member

09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zielmann View Post
DoT means 'damage over time' not 'one-time-damage nuke with long channel time'. (OTDNwLCT just doesn't have the same ring to it)

Karthus ult would not stop the capture channel when the cast is initiated (when you see the red ribbon of doom first appear), but when the damage actually goes off, it will stop the capture channel. It's like any other nuke in that regard.
This is accurate. I remember someone asking about using global ults as a way to stop channels on points and i believe one of the reds said that karthus ult along with the other globals would stop them. Granted this is off topic but its relevant to this one point. The global ults are usually long cooldown, so they saw no problem with having a global ult break the channel.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brackhar

Features Designer

09-05-2011
4 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisuezo View Post
what about karthus's defile?
This is kinda getting into the nitty gritty, but defile isn't considered a DoT. Neither is Malzahar's void zone, as another example. A DoT is defined by the presence of some buff on you that deals damage over its duration. Defile continually applies damage to players around Karthus, so each tick of that damage is considered a new application and thus would break the capture.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DragonLord

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
This is kinda getting into the nitty gritty, but defile isn't considered a DoT. Neither is Malzahar's void zone, as another example. A DoT is defined by the presence of some buff on you that deals damage over its duration. Defile continually applies damage to players around Karthus, so each tick of that damage is considered a new application and thus would break the capture.
Going off that, then Morg's soil would be in the same boat? What about Singed poison cloud?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jadarok

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-05-2011

I think the idea is, to keep it simple, they want you to have to take an action to cancel the channel. Either by auto-attack or an ability. They don't wan the lingering effects of some abilities to lock you out from starting a channel again.

But, it seems like this still can be achieved with a few abilities like Defile or Void zone. But it's not like the durations are such a long time as to cause problems.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shini Laser

Senior Member

09-05-2011

A pulse is not a DoT. Defile is a pulse. Void Zone is a pulse. Time Bomb is a pulse.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Beddlam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-05-2011

Will the ticks on the time bomb stop capture, or just the explosion?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Metaspy

Senior Member

09-05-2011

I think a lot of testing will be in order once dominion releases


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brackhar

Features Designer

09-06-2011
5 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariatria View Post
Going off that, then Morg's soil would be in the same boat? What about Singed poison cloud?
Morgana's soil would stop captures with every tick. Singe's poison applies a poison DoT to the character, so after the initial application you could capture. This latter case is complicated a little bit by the exact implementation of Singe's poison though. If re-applications simply "refresh" the DoT duration it will work as I said, but if re-applications instead replace the DoT with a new one then it will break the channel. I would need to do a test in game to say with certainty what would happen. Keep in mind though, this case only pops up if you are standing in an active poison cloud.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mirror

Senior Member

09-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Morgana's soil would stop captures with every tick. Singe's poison applies a poison DoT to the character, so after the initial application you could capture. This latter case is complicated a little bit by the exact implementation of Singe's poison though. If re-applications simply "refresh" the DoT duration it will work as I said, but if re-applications instead replace the DoT with a new one then it will break the channel. I would need to do a test in game to say with certainty what would happen. Keep in mind though, this case only pops up if you are standing in an active poison cloud.
So, then Cassiopeia's Miasma only interrupts on the initial application?

poop


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lulzatron

Member

09-06-2011

What about a timer for skills like Defile, Poison Trail, Tormented Soil, Cannon Barrage, etc., where they can be constantly applied? If said skill disrupted channel on x champion, then that skill couldn't disrupt the same champion for another x amount of seconds.