HoN doesn't have downtime?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Diddums

05-22-2010

I play both HoN and LoL, LoL more but I havnt noticed that HoN doesnt have downtime?

Why an hour ago I was playing a game of HoN, when the game finished there was a notification for an update, I download said update and go on to have a fun game as the new hero Bubbles (Puck from DoTa) with the only downtime being me downloading said patch.

Why does LoL have so much downtime compared to HoN?

Voidgolem

05-22-2010

Because 70% of the playerbase switched when HoN went retail, I'm guessing.

kcuf

05-22-2010

LoL > HoN
any other silly questions?

True Bandito

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-22-2010

Hey Didds, I'm glad to see you on the forums. As for the downtime, it is annoying, but like everything else in life, I got used to it. Can't complain with free service.

Anyway, I hope they are finally bringing in the new patch, in which case my beloved champion is getting some nice buffs.

Diddums

05-22-2010

Yer the rammus buffs look good, Teemo too.

I recently bought Rammus and the kickass skin

King K Rool

05-22-2010

HoN only has downtime when new DotA patches come out.

FearCatalyst

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-22-2010

HoN charges for their accounts, thus HoN can afford to hire a TON of employees to make everything run smoothly all the time. Also it is a direct copy of DoTA, so the framework was already there for them.

LoL is free, their only source of revenue is RP, thus Riot probably has less employees. The developers are spread thin and work hard to keep things going smoothly, but there will always be a few technical difficulties with each new patch, especially since LoL was built from the ground up.

You don't have to pay to play this game. The downtime is a small price to pay for how much fun the game is.

Pyrate

05-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearCatalyst View Post
HoN charges for their accounts, thus HoN can afford to hire a TON of employees to make everything run smoothly all the time. Also it is a direct copy of DoTA, so the framework was already there for them.

LoL is free, their only source of revenue is RP, thus Riot probably has less employees. The developers are spread thin and work hard to keep things going smoothly, but there will always be a few technical difficulties with each new patch, especially since LoL was built from the ground up.

You don't have to pay to play this game. The downtime is a small price to pay for how much fun the game is.
there was no framework for HoN. DotA is a concept that they used, they still had to build everything themselves, including updating their engine to handle making HoN.

HoN have 3 programmers. All up they have less than 30 employees working on HoN.

The reason they can run updates and not have any downtime is that instead of taking all the servers down at the same time they do it in segments.

My guess is that LoL servers can only run a certain version of the game, which is why they have to take everything down at once. Sort of like an MMO, where you cant log in with an older version. With HoN you can still use an older version of the game with other people who have that version.

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

05-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrate View Post
there was no framework for HoN. DotA is a concept that they used, they still had to build everything themselves, including updating their engine to handle making HoN.
Here's the problem: The engine was their framework. Their is a MASSIVE difference in difficulty between creating an engine and slightly updating an engine.

Buttchild

05-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstriker View Post
Here's the problem: The engine was their framework. Their is a MASSIVE difference in difficulty between creating an engine and slightly updating an engine.
How is that even relevant to the thread? His point was that S2 don't have a lot of employees and yet are able to make their game run on an almost continuous basis without regular periods of downtime.