What are champions doing when they're not fighting in the League of Legends?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DreadDawson

05-21-2010

Garen enjoys his days of love with a certain Noxus assassin.

Blitzcrack

05-22-2010

I dunno. Probably sleep. Or do whats in ther Lore.

Viral

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-22-2010

janna is working the streets.

Azamhir

05-22-2010

They play League of Legends. :*

RiotBabagahnoosh

Creative Designer

Follow babagahnoosh on Twitter

05-24-2010
14 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezialn View Post
Shot in the dark at the actual reasoning.
At some point, someone picked up on the idea that it would be strange for two of a champion to be fighting at the same time. At that point in time, you guys had already either planned or implemented the way champion selection would work. Because you couldn't change it, you decided at some point to leave it as a gray area in the lore. This gave you the room to come back at any time to fill in the actual reasoning when you felt like you had a good answer to it.

Am I close?
You're not too far off, though it was less about discovering the oddity and more about not worrying about it. We groked pretty early on that having champions duped on both sides was an ear flick on the continuity if it were left forever unexplained. I made the conscious decision early on not to press to get it rectified as a design issue. Instead, I spent some creative juice on figuring out how that oddity came to be. After bouncing ideas back and forth between the stakeholders in the creative process, we came up with something that not only made sense but would also potentially be a good point to develop on in the future.

Sure, it's easy to say "MAGIC!~!@#!!" Instead, I've always made it a point to try and figure out the answers to weird story conundrums for the projects I've been a part of. I think it makes for a more meaningful story experience. My hope is that you guys will get a kick out of it when we get the chance to share the story with you. I know it's not Shakespeare, but I do enjoy some story with my game.

RiotBabagahnoosh

Creative Designer

Follow babagahnoosh on Twitter

05-24-2010
15 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babagahnoosh View Post
I'll try and do you one better... Over the weekend (I'm trying to get home right now but I can't tear myself away from this thread~) I'll try to spin you a little ditty that somewhat deals with this issue. I've wanted to do something on this creatively for some time now, outside of what we have planned. There always seems to be a priority that comes up that tears me away from fun writing. I'm going to keep it under 1000 words if I can, provided nothing blows up on me this weekend!

Sound good?
Just to follow up on this - I got the nut of a story going this weekend. As it almost always turns out, I have ended up writing more words than I projected and I'm still not done. So, there's a story... in progress. I'm pretty excited by this, actually - I've been inundated with other kinds of work as of late that it's been a while since I got to make a short story.

Here's the beginning of it. It's not been copy edited. It's pretty raw, but it's been inspired by the great questions you guys are asking.

-------------------------------------------

Blinding white light.

Dizziness. Nausea. Vertigo.

Ezreal clenched his stomach. He couldn’t help but be hunched over from the pain. Being summoned wasn’t a new experience for him, but it had never happened with this amount of accompanying anguish. Something had to be wrong. He took a step forward; his leg buckled slightly, but he nonetheless remained upright.

“Easy now,” the slightly raspy voiced called out to Ezreal. “It looks like you were doubled.”

“Doubled?”

“Yes. You most likely were pinged by an opposing summoner in addition to your own. That or you have the worst case of summoning sickness I’ve seen in years.”

While the colloquial terminology threw him for a slight loop, Ezreal thought he was starting to understand his current predicament. This wasn’t the first time he had been summoned into a Field of Justice to fight for one of the countless, faceless summoners who made up the League of Legends. This was the first time, however, that a summoner from both sides chose him to be their presence within the same battle arena. The raspy voice continued. “It was painful my first time too. Actually, it’s always painful. You never get used to it.” The raspy-voiced man extended out an intricately tattooed hand. “I’m Ryze. It looks like we’ll be working together here in the Twisted Treeline.”

Ezreal’s stomach had stopped doing flips inside him long enough to reciprocate Ryze’s courtesy. “Thanks. I’m Ezreal. This is our first arena on the same side, I think.”

“Indeed. While I wish we had more time to get to know each other, we’re needed. Now. Get yourself together. The minions will be emerging soon.”

Ezreal knew he had to get ready, but his curiosity could not be contained. “What exactly does it mean to be doubled?”

Ryze clearly wanted to be heading out from the summoning platform at this point. “It means that you’re also on the other team. We need to go.”

“I’m on the other team?” Ezreal took one last grasp at rational thought before giving in to maddening logic. “I don’t understand. I can’t be in two places at once.”

“Yes, you can. I think you know that, too.” Ryze turned to face Ezreal as he backed down the platform and headed to the northern lane. “You’re a bright kid, even if you did luck into being a champion. Nice glove, by the way.”

Ezreal glanced at his prized gauntlet, but otherwise didn’t acknowledge the back-handed compliment. “I understand what you’re saying, but it doesn’t make any sense. Does their team have a doppelganger?”

Ryze paused. “In a manner of speaking: yes. The most important thing right now is for you to defeat their doppelganger. I’ll share with you what I know – after this battle. Let’s go, already!” With that, Ryze turned on his heels and quickly proceeded down the lane.

Ezreal couldn’t argue with that; the most important thing now for him was to aid his summoner. Ezreal followed quickly behind Ryze, staring intently ahead. He became a League champion to make a difference; learning the secrets of summoning was secondary, at least for now. Worrying about the minutia of summoning wouldn’t help him win or lose this battle. There would be time to figure everything out later.

Silverling

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-24-2010

Huhm. Babagahnoosh answered a question that's bugged me for some time with that long and interesting story post... Which would be if the Champion actually knew the summoner, or at least met them at one point in time... Heh.

Though I like what you wrote. Should write more. d=

Broseiden

05-24-2010

Fiddlesticks eats orphans on his lunch break.

delfes

05-24-2010

I have a question.

what if a champion, on his first time being doubled, found out he had killed himself a few times already?
let's say ezreal(since he looks friendly) finds out he killed himself, would he suicide/leave/refuse to fight himself/other random bad thing for his team because he is shocked that he hurt himself and is scared of feeling the pain once it's over because his double fuses back with him?

EDIT: I considered the double was also the "real" him. therefor if both are real, they need to fuse back together. which brings me to my second question:

does the fusing back also make him feel ill like when he was doubled?
and IF both are real ezreals, wouldn't his thoughts also come together, which would make him remember everything the other him felt(pain, satisfaction after a kill..., and guilt afterwards when he learns he killed his allies and himself since he was both)

junja

05-24-2010

so if theyre on the same team, morgana and kayle would ignore their differences?

but if theyre on opposite teams, garen and katarina will still hold a grudge?