The Problem with a Broad release date...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vires1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Lich View Post
Who says they don't have deadlines? Every company has internal deadlines. They avoid telling the community because for the most part the community a bunch of winy pricks who have a hard enough time avoiding pulling their teammates' heads off.

You think they're mature enough to understand that bug fixing is more important than meeting deadlines?
Your argument is that no one will understand that bug fixes are important. That the community just wouldn't understand. But. I'm pretty sure that at least 80% (thinking about the rest of that 20% are purely just trolls) of the community will want a working, finished, polished Riot game. That's why they're here in the first place. They like what Riot has to offer. So they will wait for it. But leaving everyone completely in the dark isn't very fair or good business practice IMO.

BigDaddyRelish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2011

I have to agree with the op, "soon" is just a generic term that really could mean anything knowing Riot.

People were pissed when Dominion got announced because Riot tacked on their, "Soon" label on it instead of giving us even a remote timeframe of when we could expect it. Considering we heard, "Soon" for Magma Chamber and Project Shiny a year ago, and how we were teased at Christmas of last ****ing year to "expect the unexpected" it's a huge facepalming moment when 8 months later, the best we get is an announcement.

It's the only case I've ever felt where I actually get upset over getting excited over something. In the case of something that is far down the line, by all means use the term "soon" as you don't have any idea when it'll be done and you can't really give a reliable time frame to stand by. Which is perfectly reasonable, these things take time.

But when you have it almost fully completed, at the very least fully playable at events, it's extremely annoying to see Riot being so shaky. Considering they are only doing touch-ups at this point (at Gamescon they said the only real things stopping them from releasing it are balancing (which is going to be an inevitable issue regardless as perfect balance is impossible), and wanting it to be able to run on a wider set of computers)... Although even if they can't meet the deadline that they made, they can easily say, "Yo sorry guys but there are still some issues we need to clean up" and push the release date back a bit.

I'm just sad that I'm sitting here drumming my fingers waiting for Dominion rather than actually getting pumped for it, because really, I have no idea when it's coming. Op is right in that every major release has a hard release date for a reason. What if Cataclysm just pumped out, "Soon" all over the place and then half a week before they released they said, "YO DAWGS WE GOT IT HERE LETS DO THIS!"

I doubt the response would be half as ecstatic as it was.

NEOtheONE

09-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vires1 View Post
Bump.

Seriously. I don't care when you release it but some insight would be great. I know they'll work hard and release it when it's ready according to their high standards. But when they say "Soon after PAX" I don't know about you guys but that makes it sound like a week tops. Or do I not have the correct grasp on 'soon'?
You need to look into Soon^TM "Soon: Copyright 2004-2011 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Blizzard Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Blizzard does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Blizzard will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."

That's Blizzard's soon. The question is, is Riot's soon any better?

Localpref

09-03-2011

Bump

Roadwarrior

09-03-2011

Soon is not a date last i checked.

rekopek

09-04-2011

Nice post , i hope dominion comes as fast as possible and if they say in 1 month, 4 February Thats OK for me because i know at least when it comes , but if they say soon i think it can come today or tomorrow ... and every day it hasn't come i get more upset -.-

sry for english

Suika

09-04-2011

booo your post is just a copy of other better threads. its not coming out soon get over it =3

BoiLoL

09-04-2011

i somewhat understand both point of views.

Although this may not be RIOTs train of thought, here's what i think of the situation. LoL has by far the worst forum community i have ever seen to be honest, no offense to anyone. Whenever one little thing goes wrong, the forums are spammed by hate threads, even when everything is fine and dandy, there are threads here and there aimed to kill RIOT. Imagine if the date was set and not met, well... the forum would be like the plague, which is probably why they are avoiding set dates like the plague.

On the other hand, as a consumer of the game, i agree with the OP that a date would be nice, or at least a recognition of the "When's Dominion coming out" topics would be good enough for me. A simple "We are not sure when it will come out and we don't want to make hasty decisions only to not meet them in the future. So it is unfortunate to say that I cannot release a date yet." would suffice for me to be honest.

ZeroShift

09-04-2011

Something of an afterthought to this arguement would be... a year from now how did we play this game without Dominion? I'll wait... and for what its worth theres not much the community can do since frankly these threads are left for us to deliberate over and pour out our frustrations. Theres little involvment from Riot cept to steal ideas, discover problems that are OBVIOUS to everyone playing the game, and to use their "soon" as a means to justify their own excitement. Cause lets face it Dominion is by far the most anticipated update they've announced, its like when someone tells you a secret and you can't keep it to yourself anymore (guess that makes Riot just a bunch of kids looking to boast about something / spread gossip). No need to hate, no need to continue these useless arguements either. If anything Dominion will be the first step in a direction not similar to the original Allstar series and thats commendable.
I'll say thanks Riot for raising our expectations, only thing is... don't disappoint us, cause if saying "soon" wasn't bad enough making a game mode anything less than what's been hyped up to be is even worse. I'm skeptical only on the basis that the estimated time for games is much shorter than either game modes available atm 3v3 and 5v5 so yeah...
All others that find it a problem that they say "soon" needs to read a book, get some air, get a girlfriend, dig a hole, make something useful of their life, watch a movie, watch anime, do a puzzle, participate in volunteer work, or possibly even find a job; cause who are you trying to kid with the constant raging, just goes to show you have nothing better to do than deliberate over the unintelligible. GG DS GL HF DD Peace.