The Problem with a Broad release date...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FireRoastedFire

09-02-2011

Hello Riot,

As of late, the community has been restless in its endeavors for a release date. Now, I'm no PA manager, nor a active game designer, nor an extremely active programmer, but I did learn a few crucial things in my time at school learning game development and marketing:

A certain Rioter made the claim that giving a set date causes mistrust within the fan base and community, but this isn't always the case. Let's start by explaining the current moniker Riot is associated with. 'Soon TM'. Not to sound offensive, but this is no worse than being called a bad company, as it shows mistrust in the company.

Regular scheduling and 'deadlines' exist in large companies for a reason. If I heard "Release date of Dominion: September 6." and September 5th, Riot says "We're postponing the patch until next week to work out bugs and add finishing touches", then I may be a tad irate, but I can understand. Now, if I'm told "Soon", "Soon, "Soon", "Soon after PAX", well I'm a tad irate throughout the entire thing due to uncertainty, then come the patch you say "This patch this week!!!", then the day OF you say "Postponed until were finished, no date set." I'm now furious, because you teased me, teased me, gave me hope, then Crushed it and added rage to uncertainty.

Starcraft II is a great example of the joy of Dates: Set a date, come a month before and they push it back to make it better. Ok. Again this happens two months later. Well, they'll finish eventually and I get my game at a set date. Meantime, I was playing other games, watching trailers, and kept myself busy.

In this case, Riot, you have consistently caused irritation by having all these teasers WITHOUT any set point of release. "the next couple days" would cause less emotional rebellion then the current "Soon is the best we can do". Let's be honest, you can do better. You have 300+ employees working towards one game, soon to be one game with two modes. For the amount of dedicated talent at your disposal, it boggles me as to both the length of development and the uncertainty of deadlines.

Point in case, setting a date is a proven, tried and tested thing in the game industry. And yet you avoid it like the plague for fear it might turn on you, despite the fact that your current method already is, more so than what the other would.

SET A DATE AND PEOPLE WILL BE HAPPY. If you have to push it back, sure people will be upset, but then they have another date to look forward to.

maltray

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2011

Im giving u my thumbs up on this one, just posted on other post almost the same thing.

Bump.

Yaezakura

09-02-2011

It's a case of people being upset no matter what they do. So they have to make the decision that upsets the fewest people, while preserving the good name of the company.

A broken date is a lot more upsetting than a loose time frame. Not to mention broken dates put the company's reputation in jeopardy. People already feel cheated after Magma Chamber--it was something made public way too early and was eventually scrapped. If they gave us a hard date on Dominion's release and then had to break it, it would be Magma Chamber times 100.

Aurx

09-02-2011

I agree with OP, but I think Riot needs to announce things when they're near ready for release. Building hype about Magma Chamber in its PRE-ALPHA stages doesn't help anyone.

CaiusTSR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2011

I here what you're saying and I agree, but I'm going to play Devil's Advocate right now.

Lets say they do set a date and it's the 6th (next Tuesday). Tuesday come, no patch, no update, no Dominion. You see how the community is now. Just times that by 100 and you'll see as many threads something along the lines of "WHERE THE FRACK IS MY GAME RIOT!?!?!" everyone gets mad (even more so than they usually do at Riot for whatever reason) and Riot gets bad rep.

By saying "soon" they leave themselves a nice healthy margin so they can smooth out all the kinks (or most of) so when they finally do release it everyone is happy. For all we no they are stress testing the servers extensively in anticipation for thousands of people flooding in to play the game.

At lease we know the game is coming and has working mechanics. At least they don't keep us completely in the dark or worse yet CHARGE us to keep playing.

TL;DR- Yes, a set date would make people happy. Missing that set date however is a whole new monster entirely. I really don't think Riot wants to deal with thousands of people flaming them without any rational reason other than they missed a release date.

d3adk3nny

09-02-2011

bump

FireRoastedFire

09-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaezakura View Post
It's a case of people being upset no matter what they do. So they have to make the decision that upsets the fewest people, while preserving the good name of the company.

A broken date is a lot more upsetting than a loose time frame. Not to mention broken dates put the company's reputation in jeopardy. People already feel cheated after Magma Chamber--it was something made public way too early and was eventually scrapped. If they gave us a hard date on Dominion's release and then had to break it, it would be Magma Chamber times 100.

On the contrary, sir. A company well known for their late dates, Valve, has a remarkably supportive fan base, despite their 8 year push-backs. It makes logical sense that uncertainty brings about an air of discomfort, which in turn causes anger.

A longer period of an agitated state causes more damage than a short burst of anger.

iceyknight

09-02-2011

bump

Doom Lich

09-02-2011

Who says they don't have deadlines? Every company has internal deadlines. They avoid telling the community because for the most part the community a bunch of winy pricks who have a hard enough time avoiding pulling their teammates' heads off.

You think they're mature enough to understand that bug fixing is more important than meeting deadlines?

Vires1

09-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRoastedFire View Post
On the contrary, sir. A company well known for their late dates, Valve, has a remarkably supportive fan base, despite their 8 year push-backs. It makes logical sense that uncertainty brings about an air of discomfort, which in turn causes anger.

A longer period of an agitated state causes more damage than a short burst of anger.
Bump.

Seriously. I don't care when you release it but some insight would be great. I know they'll work hard and release it when it's ready according to their high standards. But when they say "Soon after PAX" I don't know about you guys but that makes it sound like a week tops. Or do I not have the correct grasp on 'soon'?