Expectations and Public Relations

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nahirud

09-01-2011

I'd like to start off by saying I am really excited about and looking forward to Dominion (and admit how much I'd love if this live maintenance was really the release XD).

But also on that note I am fine with waiting, even with a vague statement such as 'soon'. I've worked in customer support of various sorts from call centres to tech support and have dealt with a lot of people over the years. It is true, a vague, ambiguous date is kind of annoying, but one of the very basic lessons I was taught and hold true to is that expectations are paramount to happy customers. But here Riot is in kind of a bind for their situation.

If Riot gave an explicit date and missed it then our expectations would be dashed and we would be angry.
If Riot gave an explicit date and gave us a shoddy product then our expectations of how awesome it would be to play would be dashed and we would be angry.
Either way, Riot giving an explicit date would have to coincide with a miraculous release with absolutely nothing going wrong - which is highly unlikely for any company in this industry.

I believe Riot has taken the safest path with the less overall disappointment and anger. Many of us eagerly awaiting Dominion are annoyed at the vague details because we are excited and want to try it ourselves, but once it's released most will be too busy drooling over content or crying about who is too OP for Dominion to remember we had to wait. I also think all the people getting a little overheated are just venting frustration and we should give them some slack, too.

We want our cake, we want it to be perfect, and we want it now, but the baker has enough good sense to tell us to wait for it to cook and cool; and we should thank them. Afterall, who wants to eat bad cake?

Oslayer

09-01-2011

You are exactly right, I'm studying sociology and what you're saying makes perfect sense. People are not easy to please but Riot is trying their best so they deserve some patience.

Riot Zaps

Oceanic
NOC Technician

09-02-2011

There's a bit of a false dichotomy here - there are more options on the spectrum then an exact date from (at least) a month out, and a "at some point after the present" (i.e. soon/shortly) date.

It's quite possible to say something like "Early September" or "Q4", and surprise with an early release date if necessary.

Quote:
We want our cake, we want it to be perfect, and we want it now, but the baker has enough good sense to tell us to wait for it to cook and cool; and we should thank them. Afterall, who wants to eat bad cake?
I have no problems with waiting for the game to be in the best conditions possible - but people will always be frustrated when the expectation is actually a complete guess. I don't think it's a great idea to say "It will be done at this time, no matter what!" - but giving no guidance is going to lead to just as much frustration.

RealMithron

09-02-2011

Well, all I'm gonna' say is that Dominion was more or less perfect at PAX and I can't really see much of a reason as to why it's "taking so long" to release. It didn't look like there were any bugs at all and everyone seemed very satisfied with Dominion. I'd rather deal with any bugs/problems of it being released "prematurely" (that is, the current Dominion build/version from PAX) and then smoothing those out over the weeks rather than trying to further polish it more.

If it's not released Tuesday, I'll be disappointed regardless of what any Rioter says. My eyes say it's ready for the public Tuesday.

InsaneWind

09-02-2011

well there may have been things they caught with their eyes that they need to fix, maybe a slight imbalance or even some champ fixes they need to do, it might be something slight us, but major to them, or something soo slight it only matters in specific conditions ya never know since that was just the debut still needs to go live.

On a side note thou sending it live would be the best option anyways, because live = thousands of matches which = faster bug finding and quicker fixes, but let them twiddle away at it for us to play, i think people bugging about it will only slow them down.

Nahirud

09-02-2011

A surprise would help a lot to remove the frustrations. Rarely are people angry when they get unexpected or sooner-than-expected gifts.

But it's true, perfection isn't likely regardless of time put in, so I for one wouldn't be opposed to playing it before every known glitch is ironed out, even if I have to find them myself =D. I heard it was pretty good at PAX but there were issues (I really want to see a Battlestar Cho pic), so I can see why they'd want the extra time.

Not sure how much effort it takes to hotfix or issue mini-patches, but I understand why they'd want to make sure there aren't any real game-breakers before it's released. Although they're a company out to maintain a reputation and earn money, I'd say it seems like they have a dedicated staff who not only really want to make sure they make a high quality, entertaining game for us but are also people who take pride in what they do.

That said, I will definitely be sad if it isn't out come Tuesday XD

Rippa xxx

09-02-2011

You sir are a very intelligent man.

Nahirud

09-02-2011

Thank you very much, Rippa =D

I've been on both ends of the customer-company spectrum enough times to feel for both sides.

When giving broad timeframes you don't do it out of malice or because it is the easy way out, but because things are rarely certain. The more parts to something the more chances something can go wrong - one hard drive cratering or employee becoming ill can throw things off completely; and no matter how valid of an excuse they would have, missing a firm release date would cause more ire than missing a perceived one.

In my personal experience I have been burned by set dates. Been told my order will be in X day, driven an hour to pick it up, and arrived that day only to find out they missed the day and I'd have to come back. I lose a lot of respect for people who do that to me and in future dealings have a harder time taking them at their word.
And though I may be somewhat annoyed by "it'll be in soon" because it is hard to plan around and people generally dislike uncertainty, at least in the meantime I can enjoy other things - it's not like this new game mode is a life or death matter (not for me anyways =P).

Jgame

09-02-2011

Quote:
The cake is a lie.