Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Which is more important for ranged physical carries?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DonkeyBalls

Recruiter

05-20-2010

Which is a more important consideration for ranged physical carries when evaluating attack items?

Damage per second

Damage per attack

Why?

Yesticles

Recruiter

05-20-2010

Quote:
DonkeyBalls:
Which is a more important consideration for ranged physical carries when evaluating attack items?

Damage per second

Damage per attack

Why?

I think it depends on your champion, the skills they have, and your teammates.

For example

Teemo - I go damage per attack, because of the ability to harass with move quick.

TF - I go dps because of his gold cards and the synergy with his stacked deck.

Kinney

05-20-2010

You generally can't go wrong with damage and armor penetration (in other words, damage per attack), regardless of which champion. Only very few physical carries would want something different (attack speed for TF, crit for Tryndamere, auras for Sivir).

GewdJab

05-20-2010

DPS = Damage Per Second. You always aim for the best DPS.

I think the comparison you're looking for is damage per attack vs. attack speed. In that case, optimal DPS almost always comes from a mix of the two. The more damage you have, the more valuable attack speed becomes. If you already have a ton of attack speed, adding more won't do a whole lot. You need some damage to make those fast attacks more effective.

Zrich

05-20-2010

damage per hit > attack speed

Damage per attack allows easier last hitting, harassing, and depending on skills, damage overall (aka DPS).

like with ashe, say u just bought a BF sword early game, with ur passive, you can do 100+ more damage on the first hit. And for harassing, its great with volley. For most the game you could go straight damage with ashe do fine with 1 hit and volley and do alot of damage.

But later in the game, attack speed helps. I get last wisper for damage, armor pen, and attack speed. And it's cheap.

Also, if you're harrassing, you would need to nearly double your attack speed to do the same damage as your attack with 1 BF sword, and since the max attack speed item is like 55%, damage is better.

TF would be the exception though.