Akali's Lifesteal Passive

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yesticles

Recruiter

05-20-2010

What is everyone's opinion on Akali's lifesteal passive?

I see very little usefulness in it compared to the buff brought on by AP. With 300 attack at lvl 18 your abilities still only vamp about 20%. But 300 attack means you have built heavily into attack items, and will have very little damage output with your spells.

I feel like any items beyond a long sword are wasted:

Black Cleaver (3065g) gives you 3.5% lifesteal

Lichbane (3035G) gives an 8.0% damage increase to your physical attacks, or 10% if you count the additional AP received from Zhonya's ring.

I've had a lot of success with Akali buying

Tome
Boots of Speed
Long Sword
Tome => Sheen
Boots => Better Boots
Sheen => Lichbane
Long Sword => Phage
Zhonya's Ring

Going any farther into attack currently seems like a waste when compared to AP. Anyone have any thoughts?

Fruz

05-20-2010

Quote:
Tome
Boots of Speed
Long Sword
Tome => Sheen
Boots => Better Boots
Sheen => Lichbane
Long Sword => Phage
Zhonya's Ring
You have nearly no survability with this build, one stun and you are over :s.

Why not a Rylai ?
And the AP gives damages with %o of your AD, but if you don't have much AD this bonuse will not be very good.

I suggest :

1) Doran's shield
2) boots ( mercury or tabi )
3) sheen
4) Rylai
5) Guinsoo
6) sheen -> Lichbane
7) Zonhya ( if the game goes this far )

And I find too that the drain bonuse after the 10 AD really sucks

Temlam

05-20-2010

I use-
Long sword
boots of speed
sell longsword, buy pickaxe.
Buy blasting wand
rageblade
boots of swiftness
(sometimes I get rage before any boots if I'm alive the whole laning phase and the enmies turret is down with enough time to not need to run very fast.)
rylais (survivability and slows ftw)
sunfire cape
sunfire cape
thats usually the end if I get that far
(3.5k hp as akali and the ability to backdoor turrets, total win)

Yesticles

Recruiter

05-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruz View Post
You have nearly no survability with this build, one stun and you are over :s.

Why not a Rylai ?
And the AP gives damages with %o of your AD, but if you don't have much AD this bonuse will not be very good.

I suggest :

1) Doran's shield
2) boots ( mercury or tabi )
3) sheen
4) Rylai
5) Guinsoo
6) sheen -> Lichbane
7) Zonhya ( if the game goes this far )

And I find too that the drain bonuse after the 10 AD really sucks

I purposely dont build for survivability on Akali because of TS and Cleanse/Ghost. I will get out of most situations alive with good decisions and huge dps.

Also, Guinsoo's is wasted on Akali because she is extremely bursty, and at least with the build I've seen be most effective, she doesnt do extremely high sustained dps. It will take me no more than 2 physical attacks with lichbane/sheen procs to kill and champion that isnt a tank. With guinsoo's you assume you will be attacking multiple times to build to the 8 stacks.

Eventually I do get Rylai's, it's a great item for her, but not as necessary as the high burst to destroy squishies like Ryze, Ashe, TF, etc, drop a TS and get out.

EchoRex

05-20-2010

Fact: Akali's spell life steal passive is good to activate, but terrible compared to the advantage received from the bonus damage scaling on AP.

Devote minimal gold to activating, you will get a decent bit of additional life steal from it no matter what if using a good build.

You're wanting to end with something very similar to:
Rylai's | Mercs | Lichbane | Nashor's or Guinsoo's | Guardian Angel | Youmu's or Last Whisper

AD sucks, some mysterious life steal amount is not going to save you from doing less damage and having less real and effective survivability.

EDIT:

Guinsoo's is great, usually the number two priority item behind Rylai's for every competent player on Akali. Hint: It builds stacks from abilities AND auto attacks.

It is an exceptionally efficient item for low cooldown ability champions.

Not taking Rylai's quick is asking to fail. No ifs, ands, or buts.
_

Fruz

05-20-2010

Quote:
Also, Guinsoo's is wasted on Akali because she is extremely bursty
Guinsoo is just the BEST item for hybrids, and Akali is an Hybrid :/.
And guinsoo gives burst, it has the best ratio for AP/gold and AD/gold without the passive ability ....

Quote:
With guinsoo's you assume you will be attacking multiple times to build to the 8 stacks.
1 Ulti = 1 stack
1 smoke = 2 stack
1 Mark = 3 stack
1 AE spell = 4 stack
1 Attack = 5 stack

And you just had 1 hit there.

So when you don't know about something, please don't speak nonsense of it >_<

Quote:
AD sucks, some mysterious life steal amount is not going to save you from doing less damage and having less real and effective survivability.
Full AD sucks, but having a little AD boost in order to improve the AP passive and to have more burst is good.

Yesticles

Recruiter

05-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo7 View Post
Fact: Akali's spell life steal passive is good to activate, but terrible compared to the advantage received from the bonus damage scaling on AP.

Devote minimal gold to activating, you will get a decent bit of additional life steal from it no matter what if using a good build.

You're wanting to end with something very similar to:
Rylai's | Mercs | Lichbane | Nashor's or Guinsoo's | Guardian Angel | Youmu's or Last Whisper

Despite our build differences, this is exactly what I've been noticing. However, I don't believe Riot intended Akali to fall into this build.

I feel like the Spell Vamp portion of the passive should be altered in some way to justify spending the money on Attack Damage items other than auto attacks.

EchoRex

05-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesticles View Post
Despite our build differences, this is exactly what I've been noticing. However, I don't believe Riot intended Akali to fall into this build.

I feel like the Spell Vamp portion of the passive should be altered in some way to justify spending the money on Attack Damage items other than auto attacks.
They knew that was the type of build that would be most effective.

They also knew that they were going to be introducing more hybrid items with both AD and AP so that she would benefit more as time passed.

Yesticles

Recruiter

05-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruz View Post
Guinsoo is just the BEST item for hybrids, and Akali is an Hybrid :/.
And guinsoo gives burst, it has the best ratio for AP/gold and AD/gold without the passive ability ....

I see what you're saying about Guinsoo's, as I've not played Jax or the other hybrids, I didn't realize it also activated on spellcast.

Quote:
So when you don't know about something, please don't speak nonsense of it >_<
However, there's no reason to be a d**k about it. The reason I posted this was to learn more about the champion, and the way she works.

Temlam

05-20-2010

auto attacks is great justification for spending on AD.
Inevitable because of how good akali is as a hybrid, the more AP you have, the more you will benefit from AD. Of course auto attacks is only good on akali for 1 thing I find, after you use all 3 shadow dances.
Before then you are literally going to burst the living hell out of someone or their team in more equal damage. Afterwards you are left with auto attacks along with your cresent and Q, also auto attack. See, using Q is great burst, sure, but if you didnt have the hundred of damage from the auto attack mixed with the magic effect, it would look like weak sauce. So being stronger puts the fear of god into your enemy and makes you smile. It always amazes me how much health I can remove from enemies with the proc effect of Q