[Guide] Late Game Gangplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MXncRnA8TOahmoK7

05-20-2010

I have been having astounding success with this build (just carried my team to victory after we were down 30-10, for example). It focuses on farming as much as possible early-mid game, and a solid late game damage output.

Runes: Survivability. I use +43 health, +11hp/5, and +18 armour pen, but adjust as you see fit.

Summoner Abilities: Teleport and Clairvoyance. Teleport is a must, for better laning potential, and defending/attacking turrets. Clairvoyance is oft-overlooked, but its usefulness in TEAM survivability and ganking cannot be overlooked. Feel free to substitute exhaust if your team is short.

Masteries: 21-0-9, gold/10, +XP, crit damage, crit chance are important.

Starting Items: Meki Pendant + 2HP pots.

Abilities
Cannon Barrage > Parrley > Raise Morale > Remove Scurvy
If the other team is CC heavy (or has Ashe), grab a single level of remove scurvy when you hit level 4.

Gameplay: Solo mid if possible. Whether you get mid or not, you will only be targetting minions until level 6, unless your enemy is astoundingly aggressive. Focus on farming as much as possible. If you play cautiously and last hit minions, you shouldn't need to go back to town until you have 1250 gold. When you reach 1250, port back, grab an avarice blade and upgrade your meki pendant to a chalice of harmony, then port back quickly.

Now you'll want to keep doing more of the same, keeping in mind that you can now parrley virtually every time it's off cooldown, within a second or two. Look for chances to grab a kill/assist using your ult, and farmfarmfarmfarmfarm. At 1850 gold, get back again, grab two more avarice blades and boots.

When you return, keep farming as the first priority, but blast your opponent with parrley every once in a while. Your crit will be just below 50, so with some luck, you'll be able to push them out of the lane for long enough to get hits into their tower. Keep looking for ult opportunities, watch for ganks, call mia. At 1850 gold, go back and get a BF sword.

You can now start playing offensively, but always farm when you have the chance. Take some time to gank if opportunity presents itself. Your goal is STILL to gain as much gold as possible. If you can get 15 minion kills instead of a champion kill, take the minions (less risk, equal reward). At ~2900 gold, go back and get Infinity Edge + BoS. If you're under no pressure, wait until you have about 3550, then sell your Chalice and get a Sheen at the same time.

You're now critting for significant portions of enemy's health with parrley, 66.7% of the time. Harass with parrley when anyone comes close, it WILL be significant. Kills are important now, to pressure your opponents. Try to take some turrets, work with your team. You are still a support dps, you can't carry, but you CAN take chunks of health every 10 seconds. Wander the map when appropriate, take stabs at turrets, play it safe, play as a team. At 2810 gold, go back to town and get a Trinity Force.

As you start kicking significant amounts of ass, outrunning opponents with your 500 MS, and blasting holes the size of dinner plates through their torsos, you will need to sell your avarice blades. Replacing them, your next items will be, in order: BF sword, Phantom Dancer, BFS->Bloodthirster, Bloodthirster #2. At about the point that you get your second Bloodthirster, grab one of each elixir and pop it before heading out.

Ye are now a Mighty Pirate, and will be critting for as much as you feel like, eating turrets like limes, swimming in buckets o' gold, and chilling at >520 MS (RM, PD & TriForce). To get an idea of how much gold ye'll be acquiring over the course of a game, when farming well: Me last game was won, despite being down 37-50 in kills at the end. I farmed about 23K gold over the course of the game, and the next highest was 15K.

Hopefully this helps aspiring and veteran pirates alike. Leave feedback, tell me how this guide works for you. Peace.

Fruz

05-20-2010

It takes too much time to stack so many avarices blades imo.
And when you'll have the full avarices blades, you'll very often crit, but crit with no damage sucks imo.

I prefer personnaly :

1) (Meki pendant)
2) (basic boots)
3) Chalice of harmony
4) mercury/tabi boots
5) Infinity Edge ( With GankPlank, it comes in 10~15 minutes in the game. It's THE item with the best synergie with Crit Ganplank and his parley and you even didn't mention it ... :x )
6) Youmou Ghostblade

If ennemis are stacking armor => last whisper

I didn't play him very often, but with the build I tried, this one is effective in mid-game and late-game. Having a build like the full avarices blade wich will be good at a time the game can be already over is a fail imo.

MXncRnA8TOahmoK7

05-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruz View Post
It takes too much time to stack so many avarices blades imo.
And when you'll have the full avarices blades, you'll very often critic, but critic with no damage sucks imo.

I prefer personnaly :

1) (Meki pendant)
2) (basic boots)
3) Chalice of harmony
4) mercury/tabi boots
5) Infinity Edge ( With GankPlank, it comes in 10~15 minutes in the game )
6) Youmou Ghostblade

If ennemis are stacking armor => last whisper

I didn't play him very often, but with the build I tried, this one is effective in mid-game and late-game. Having a build like the full avarices blade wich will be good at a time the game can be already over is a fail imo.
I can't speak for everyone, but by the time I get my third Avarice Blade, my crits are doing nasty damage. Maybe you're just not focusing as hard as I am on farming gold?

@ 2) and 4) Why boots here? You're moving at ~350 with RM anyways, and IF you're just farming, boots don't help at all.

@ 5) Infinity edge is nice, but with no extra crit to back it up, you're wasting 70+% of your Parrleys when you target champions. On the other hand, 3 Avarice Blades + IE is about 67% crit.

@ 6) ghostblade might be worth trying. But what would it replace?
Infinity Edge? No.
Boots? No.
Triforce? No.
Phantom Dancer? No.
First Bloodthirster? No.
Second Bloodthirster? Maybe. I'll try it next game and tell you how it goes ^^

Fruz

05-20-2010

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone, but by the time I get my third Avarice Blade, my crits are doing nasty damage. Maybe you're just not focusing as hard as I am on farming gold?
I do, saving the parley only for creeps ( or for gank ofc ).
But crit with only the base damage is not very good, critique with a BF sword or even the IE hits very very hard.

Quote:
@ 2) and 4) Why boots here? You're moving at ~350 with RM anyways, and IF you're just farming, boots don't help at all.
it's just an order, oftenly with Gankplank's farming, points 2) 3) and 4) comes together at the same back

Quote:
@ 5) Infinity edge is nice, but with no extra crit to back it up, you're wasting 70+% of your Parrleys when you target champions. On the other hand, 3 Avarice Blades + IE is about 67% crit.
With parley hitting nearly 3* more damages, I prefer have less critiques, but taking an half life's pool ennemy or even more with one hit =p ( well not the tanks ^^ ).

It's simple, with Gankplank with ... 80 base damage a crit makes 160 damages.
With an IE a crit makes (80+85)*2.5 = 412.5 damages.
So the crit are not so often, but are much more powerfull.
I don't know if you ever did it, but at least try it .
( with crit runes it crits often too, but I think it's better to take crit dmg or even armor pen with red marks ).

And I choose ghostblade because of the crit chance and the armor pen and the CD reduc, I think it's an amazing item =).

I used to rush sheen before or right after the chalice, but the bonuse it gives becomes a little bonuse in late-game and it's finally expensive imo.