help on morde

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sylfin

05-20-2010

Hi,

Im playing morde quite often lately and i really enjoy playing him. However, i dont really know how I can build him best. I know it is good to get armor and magic resist but then? is he best build as a tank or dps?

Ravinor

05-20-2010

I think its pretty situational. I have afew core items that I start with, either Spirit Visage or Wardens depending on who Im laning against because I can make either of these with my begining buy of reguv bead and health pots. After that boots and heart of gold if I bought Visage, or boots and visage if I got wardens first. After I have Mercs, a Frozen mallet, Omen and visage, if I still need more resist/Armor FoN or thornmail. Any more Defensive items than that and your late game suffers. I've played around with Starks, Bloodthirster, and Phantom Dancers at this point, but by the time I purchase these the game is usually already decided. All of them have thier uses, but you should really have a warm and fuzzy on what you need by the time mid game is comming to a close.

Morde does benifit from having respectable damage without the use of AD/AP items, so utility items are always a plus for your team.

Edit: More to your point - I've only built him as a tank - Building morde as a dps is difficult as his AP ratios are terribad, and he only has 1 ability that benifits from AD (Mace of Spades). If your team already has a compitent tank play with DPS builds if you like...if not build him as a tank. Between Frozen mallet and the Omen activate ability you can almost compensate for his complete lack of initiation skills.

Redenbacher

05-20-2010

Basically what was said above - I've tried a few builds on Mordekaiser and one thing he is not, is a melee DPS. So AD items won't function so well, and other champs on your team can do it better. The same rule applies for AP, and his ratios aren't that great.

I prefer starting out with a Doran's Shield, as it gives some nice staying power in the early game. I'll then grab Mercury's Treads 99% of the time, and Boots of Swiftness 1% of the time. Next, I've been trying out Spirit Visage - and it's fantastic. Mordekaiser can farm up the gold quickly for this one to still have it be effective early game, but its the cooldown reduction that really shines on it.

Next, it depends on the enemy and how my game is going. If you're getting beat down by magic damage, Force of Nature is a fantastic addition to Mordekaiser for the big regeneration for in between mid-game team battles and laning, but what I really like from it is the movement speed boost. Morde has no 'real' initiation move, so being speedy on foot is helpful. Running out of the bushes and sprinting in to the middle of the enemy team with Creeping Death works great for initiating a team fight.

I've also been toying with Haunting Guise. It's cheap, and boosts your shield generation rate through the magic penetration.

From there on out it's situational. Need more armor? Go with Warden's Mail -> Randuin's Omen. People keep getting away? Grab Frozen Hammer. One thing that is not a problem, is gold. Mordekaiser is one of, if not the best, farmer in the game. You will be able to get pretty much whatever items you need at or before the 30 minute mark.

On a side note, if you don't want to rely on your shield much, you can run with

Doran's Shield - Sellable late game for something more helpful (ie. Frozen Hammer)
Mercury Treads
Force of Nature
Sunfire
Sunfire
Whatever else you need to finish out the end game (Atma's Impaler, Guardian Angel, etc.)

DreamyDays

05-20-2010

I like to build him as a tanky support (or so my friend has defined my Mordekaiser).

------------------- Beginning
Rejuv Beads + tons of pot (3~6, your choice)
Spirit Visage
boots
------------------- Not in any order, get the one that fits the situation first, interleave components if needed
Sorc Boots
Aegis
Frozen Mallet
Starks
Haunting Guise
------------------ Replace cheaper items with expensive, situational items.