For Karthus enthusiasts.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PushLaneWinGame

09-01-2011

Zhonya's Hourglass on Karthus is great, especially if you want to use him to initiate. Toggle your aura, flash in, drop the wall of pain, Zhonya's. Your team has 2 seconds to follow you in. When you get out of stasis, just keep dropping your Q.

Don't be afraid to die as Karthus, and if you are going to die, get close to the enemy, not far away, cause you are able to cast spells for a short time after dying. This creates a small area that your enemy is at a SUPREME disadvantage fighting in. If you die, drop a Q or two, then use your Ult. Many Aces will be achieved this way.

Use your Wall of Pain to scout over walls, jungle, and in brush.

If you're in a teamfight, don't use your Ultimate during it. If you get stunned or killed before you finish channeling, it's a wasted Ult. Instead, either use the ult when your team begins their initiation for a burst of damage to put your enemies behind, or wait till you are dead or the other team is running. I NEVER use the ult in the middle of a team fight unless I am dead.

Charles87

09-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothangle View Post
Zhonya's Hourglass on Karthus is great, especially if you want to use him to initiate. Toggle your aura, flash in, drop the wall of pain, Zhonya's. Your team has 2 seconds to follow you in. When you get out of stasis, just keep dropping your Q.

Don't be afraid to die as Karthus, and if you are going to die, get close to the enemy, not far away, cause you are able to cast spells for a short time after dying. This creates a small area that your enemy is at a SUPREME disadvantage fighting in. If you die, drop a Q or two, then use your Ult. Many Aces will be achieved this way.

Use your Wall of Pain to scout over walls, jungle, and in brush.

If you're in a teamfight, don't use your Ultimate during it. If you get stunned or killed before you finish channeling, it's a wasted Ult. Instead, either use the ult when your team begins their initiation for a burst of damage to put your enemies behind, or wait till you are dead or the other team is running. I NEVER use the ult in the middle of a team fight unless I am dead.
This last line is so important! Well said. Karthus is awesome when people don't know you exist as well. Not a jungler but I've had a few games where he disappears then ACE which is closely followed by WTF!!!! mucho lols

Jeanschyso

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-01-2011

A small tip that got me BBQed when a karthus did this on me, it was very clever and required skills and good positionning (as well as flash)

Walled me, flashed into the jungle, ulted, right before the minus MR debuff ended it hit me... ok.. let me explain...

Void staff + fully farmed archangel + sorc shoes + rabadon + rod of ages + guardian angel

I had NO MR after that wall and that crazy magic penetration. It killed me from 3/4 life... and those 2 other team mates that were still alive but low health

but that's a fed karthus that has been left alone for way too long, should never happen. I can't blame myself though, as I was soloing top like a champ till kartus came and destroyed the world.

He's good, but has to be played by an extremely good player to be worth it

FIyingRiceBaII

09-01-2011

TBH, karthus isnt very OP, for Casters, get a zhonya's hourglass and use it whenever he ults.Banshee isnt very effective cuz someone else might poke it away before he ults... as for other people... well... get tanky items? :/ not too sure sry

CroGuyGotYou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2012

The easiest way to take karthus down early game is to make him spend all his mana. Once he runs out of it he is the weakest champion,until he dies...
Late game you need to separate him from turrets and allies and you need to go atleast 2 vs 1.

Crazyflames

03-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroGuyGotYou View Post
The easiest way to take karthus down early game is to make him spend all his mana. Once he runs out of it he is the weakest champion,until he dies...
Late game you need to separate him from turrets and allies and you need to go atleast 2 vs 1.
Early game this is a solution, but lategame, most Karthus builds have 1 AA staff (even early game, most will have a tear), which solves most mana problems. Also Karthus, and Anivia are probably the most mana starved champs in the game, they will be given blue most of the time which stops any mana issues.

Karthus is best fought by either a fairly tanky champ with a gapcloser and decent damage, or a VERY quick assassin. These two types of champions can get in on Karthus, kill him, and get out without dying.

There are alot of counters to his ult, you just have to look for them. One of the ones not many people know is the "red elixer" heal-bait, early game Karth's ult doesn't deal more than 200 damage with heavy AP, poping a red elixer (250g) stop the enemy team from getting 300+ gold and costing you a respawn time, and it gives you bonus HP/AD for the rest of the duration.

breadbocks

03-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz of Wrath View Post
protip for all the new karthus players. dont build a deathcap. dont you dare. all that ap is useless when you are dead and karthus crumples like a wet flower.

use your filthy deathcap gold for something useful that helps you survive more. YOU WILL GET FOCUSED. EVERYTIME. then they just walk away. get a Zhonyas or an Abyssal scepter. My favorite? Archangels into Will of the Ancients into GUARDIAN ANGEL.
This guy is an idiot. You always need a rabadons. It might not be first, but you have 8 seconds of free dps that nobody can stop other than running away really fast. Make it burn.

Every time I see a Karthus with only a RoA and Evil Tome (Most useless item ever) I report him. You need a big ticket ap item, not survivability items.

ThorHammerz

03-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadbocks View Post
This guy is an idiot. You always need a rabadons. It might not be first, but you have 8 seconds of free dps that nobody can stop other than running away really fast. Make it burn.

Every time I see a Karthus with only a RoA and Evil Tome (Most useless item ever) I report him. You need a big ticket ap item, not survivability items.
↑. You need big, big AP items to make Karthus useful, as his AP scaling is just horrible (compensated by it's AoE nature). Rod of Ages (or even just a catalyst the protector) is just a waste early/mid game if you're not pinned down by say a hyper-aggressive LeBlanc. Learn to stop eating all their harass if you keep getting hit, and bring HP pots for a minuscule cost to restore lost HP.

On another note, there are SO many ways (and even items) that can stop Karthus from ulting you to death. In terms of items everyone can get (and in my experience, how often people get them), here are some for those who don't know already/are new to playing/fighting against Karthus:

- (Red) Elixir of Fortitude - Has already been mentioned before, instantly increasing your health pool for the next 4 minutes. Somewhat common.

- Zhonyas HourGlass (active stasis halfway in the ult channel, since ult channel lasts 3 seconds while stasis lasts only 2 seconds). Common (when it's a mage using it).

- Locket of the Iron Solari - Against Karthus, this item is absolute bullcrap with a moderate AoE shield for the entire team (if they're close to each other on activation). The shield itself isn't all that strong, but it has the potential to cover the entire team, with a cooldown less than Karthus' ult. Uncommon. Also provides a decent amount of HP/5 regen.

- HexDrinker - Want Magic Resist, attack damage, AND a unique active that'll shut down Karthus' ult for only 1800g? Look no further than the perpetually overlooked HexDrinker! Rather Uncommon, perhaps people don't feel it's worth the investment? Also is not an active, so you really dont have any control over when it activates.

- Banshee's Veil - A free spell shield every 45s, Hp, MR. Common item built by most carries/bruisers endgame for a sometimes-reliable item that requires no further strategy on their part in using it.

- Early-Mid game - invest in a Negatron Cloak to negate any heavy damage you might take from him, leaves you with 50 mr after mPen (assuming standard build and no other form of MR) = 33% less damage.