about void staff

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sunit

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-30-2011

So i was wondering if someone on the enemy team has void staff and you want to build survivability against them, what is the best way to do that? I feel health may beat out magic resist...

KnightOfSilence

08-30-2011

Easy answer, Get Force of Nature!!!!
Magic resist! and Health (regen) and speed!

Diamondragan

08-31-2011

The only counter to % penetration is MORE mitigation.

100 MR (50%) reduces to 60 MR (37.5%) which is 12.5% mitigation removal

But

200 MR (66.6%) reduces to 120 MR (54.5%) which is 12.1% mitigation removal

The more you have, the more they may penetrate, but the lower effect it will have.

300 MR (75%) reduces to 180 MR (64%) which is 11% mitigation removal

If all else fails just stack health.

redrobin3

08-31-2011

More MR and u'll still live. I've stopped buying void and started to get abyss because survival is key.

Thubgar

08-31-2011

banshee's preemptively solves this problem.

Prince Kassad

08-31-2011

If the enemy mage gets Void Staff, you should still build a decent amount of MR but you should really focus on getting health. When someone has % magic penetration/reduction, the more MR you have the more MR they will penetrate, so the value of MR is generally less than the cost. This also applies when fighting enemies that have % magic reduction in their kit, like Nidalee and Kayle. They are best countered by large amounts of health (unless of course Kayle gets Madred's Bloodrazor). Warmog's Armor, Banshee's Veil, Soul Shroud, Frozen Mallet, Rod of Ages, and Crystal Scepter are all great items to get to counter Void Staff mages.

Note: Enemies like Malzahar and Brand, who have % of health magic damage, are especially dangerous when they get Void Staff because they cannot be countered very well by either MR or health. In that case, get Banshee's Veil because it will just negate one of their spells completely.

Now if your enemy grabs Sorcerer's Shoes + Haunting Guise, Malady, and/or Abyssal Scepter, then you should build as much MR as possible. These items give flat magic penetration/reduction, which is only good against enemies with low MR, and the more MR you get the less threatening this magic penetration/reduction will be. You should also build MR when fighting Amumu, Fiddlesticks, Ryze, Soraka, and any other enemies that have flat magic reduction in their kit. If you do the math, these champions are actually countered by MR items more strongly than champions who don't have any flat magic reduction in their kit.

sunit

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-31-2011

Yeah thanks prince kassad. I figured that would be true but I was hoping someone could show how much more cost effective each item is. btw forces of nature is not really ideal since im effectively paying around 3k for 40ish mr?