Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Talon: you aint goin nowhere till I kill ya!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

m0gX

08-30-2011

Most champions I can try and figure out a decent build and play style with them in a few games. Talon however, took me a while and many really bad games. Since it took me so long, I thought it was worth sharing what I found worked.

Summary

Items: Long sword + health pot > BF sword > phage + merc treads > frozen mallet > atma's impaler > phantom dancer > vampyric scepter > black cleaver > bloodthirster

Skill order: 1: rake 2: noxian diplomacy (ND) 3: rake 4: cutthroat 5: ND 6: shadow assault (ultimate) 7: rake 8: ND 9: rake 10: ND 11: ult 12: rake 13: ND 14: cutthroat 15: cutthroat 16: ultimate 17: cutthroat 18: cutthroat

Masteries: I like 21/9/0 masteries with talon. I grab crit and exhaust at bottum tier offense, full alacrity, 3 sorcery, none in archaic knowledge, then sunder, brute fource, lethality, and havoc. I grab full resistance and hardiness in bottum teir deffence, then 2 strengthen spirit and one harden skin.

Runes: i use full ArPen quints and marks, which I think are just about nessecary no matter what. then I ahve flat armor seals and MR/level glyphs. flat MR glyphs could also work too.

Summoner Spells: exhaust and flash. flash for obvious reasons. great to combo with curthroat for blink in, kill, flash out for diving turret. exhaust I find is great to stop people from running while you get cutthroat off CD.

so wtf do i actually do with this stuff? (explanation)

so start with your long sword and one health pot, and try for mid or 1v1 top lane. otherwise, take bot. would not suggest 1v2 top. Mid worked for me, though mgiht not against someone really agressive or with a lot of health regen (aka morde, cho).

Your goal until about level 9 is farm farm farm. this is because I have realized, talon at low levels, the risk is never worth it. so for beginning of the game, CS like crazy until you can hopefully at least get your BF sword when you go back. so try to stay in lane for about 50 creep kills. since talon's mana costs are all low, they are great for harrasing and assisting in last hitting. I last hit a lot with rake, and try to get the enemy champ too. rake is also good for harrassing. until at least level 4 though, I would not try to go for a kill ( i dont get cutthroat till then so I am not tempted before). harrassing with rake can be very effective though, that is why it is the skill I max first. If you have harrassing well, you can almost definately get a kill at level 6 with your ultimate.

after getting your BF sword, start ganking if you haven't already. next time you go back you can hopefully aford phage and merc treads. merc treads are great for extra defense and the tenacity. then you want to get frozen mallet then atma's these work well together for obvious reasons. in additon, the survivability and constant use of mercy (your passive) is amazing. so ya, these two items are basically a must for talon imo. it also makes getting the red potion pretty great. by the point you ahve frozen mallet, you hopefully already have a few kills and are looking pretty scary. after I get phantom dancer which is amazing for extra MS and the AS. crit doesnt hurt either.

after that, you could get more defensive items or otherwise, but I find the about 130 armor and 100 MR at thsi point pretty good. so I would get vampyric scepter and then Black cleaver, followed up by bloodthirtster. as you can see, very expensive build, so kills and farming are important. also, I always thoght IE woudl be great, especially with atma's and/or PD, but I think its just not worth it. I also used to get ghost blade, but also, just didnt work for me.

combo for killing someone:
when you go to kill someone, coming out of bushes at them is good so you get the leap on them, use cutthroat, attack, rake, attack, ND, ult. and follow up with chasing/killing/attacking. I find this order works well when possible. vey helpful thing: ND resets attac timer, so always use it RIGHT AFTER a regular attack. another usefull combo is ult the cutthroat. if they run away at any point enoguh so you cant auto attack (though this shouldnt happen cause of mallet and rake, hence name of the guide), then ult and use exhaust when you catch up. cut throat over walls is great too (I use it all the time, when I am top side, at bottum left jungle into lane, since wall sticks out and is thin. using cutthroat sooner rather than later is good too since it amplifies your damage. cutthroat can also be used on enemy minions or neutral minions as an escape.

Summary

all in all, talon is near useless early I find, so always try to farm a bunch up until mid game. I think I have abut 100 CS at level 9, which is when I get my phage and merc treads. additionally, be VERY careful about when to engage. I think choosing the right times is one of the most important parts of talon, more so than other champions. coming ina round teh back of team fights is a great way to go in, and always after your tanks or slightly tankier people if possible. though I find you can easily come around back and get 1-2 of their squishies alte game if they are out of position before anyone else can stop you. All in all, just chill and last hit as well as you can at the beginning, and you will clean up mid and late game.

here is screen shot of end for my favourite game so far: http://i52.tinypic.com/apbjp1.jpg
I was mid against MF and had about double her CS most of the game cause I harased with rake. I will admit, this was unranked, and its not like me or the people i am playing against are amazing. but this worked well for me, so thought I would share.

let me know how this works for you!

m0gX

08-30-2011

bump

Chained Icarus

08-30-2011

I really don't like AS on Talon. I feel most of his damage comes from his abilities (Which are on pretty short cooldowns, his ult included), and so I usually go for more of a damage build. I do like how you have Merc Treads instead of Greaves like most guides I've seen, though. +1 for that alone.

Personally, I start with a Doran's Shield for the sustainability, and harass heavily with Rake. If I do well in the lane, I'll rush a Brutalizer, if I'm struggling, I pick up a Doran's Blade. From there, I play it by ear.

If my team is competent and we're doing well, I almost always try to get a Ghostblade and a Brutalizer on Talon. That, along with my runes, puts me a little over 80 ArmPen, which practically no squishy in the game has, and even some who build armor will be reduced to pitiful numbers. You'll be dealing "true" damage to just about everyone who isn't a tank, or tanky DPS.

Still, I'll give this build of yours a shot next game. Maybe you're on to something here.

sanajin

Recruiter

08-30-2011

Thanks for the guide. I almost exclusively play tanky mages and I'm really struggling with Talon. I do indeed feel useless early game...

Chained Icarus

08-30-2011

All right, just came out of a game with this build, and I'll admit - It's very solid. I disagree with being weak early game, though, but I had a good lane partner (a hyper aggressive Leona). We just absolutely shat all over their Lee Sin and Gangplank...

I'll recommend this build. It's quite nice.

Chained Icarus

08-30-2011

I will point out I did deviate on the boots, however - I opted for the Ionian Boots of Lucidity over Merc Treads. I didn't find myself being locked down enough to need the Treads.

Maritimer

Recruiter

08-30-2011

Treads for a team with lots of cc. Lucidity or Greaves for a normal team. Lucidity is usually the best option though.

Also if you find yourself losing health alot in the laning phase try starting with a regrowth pendant. If they've got a lot of AP users then you can build that into a FoN later on for incredible healing and resist.

xUnknownNinjax

08-30-2011

i personal don't like frozen mallet because i learn that Talon is barely auto-attacking and with that item u need to auto-attacking. And Talon is Assassin not a tank Dps

therealphoenix

09-02-2011

Quote:
Kieyt:
All right, just came out of a game with this build, and I'll admit - It's very solid. I disagree with being weak early game, though, but I had a good lane partner (a hyper aggressive Leona). We just absolutely shat all over their Lee Sin and Gangplank...

I'll recommend this build. It's quite nice.

Talon/Leona is an insane lane combo, I played 5 or 6 games as Talon yesterday, all of them laning with a buddy who was playing Leona. Talon's burst damage + Leona's CC & passive just makes it so easy, and they get shat on many times. I got fed enough for my first penta on Talon