[Guide] Katarina Done Right (Not a newbie guide)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alyzar

05-20-2010

What are you even talking about? O_o

Either I'm being trolled, or people are delusional.

Seriously. The things I'm reading are so weird and obscure that they don't even make sense. Like, with me. I played AD kat, and then I played AP kat, and AP kat was obv. better.

It seems a lot of people only played AD kat, and now they are coming onto the forum to spew nonsense when they never played AP Kat.

peyo

05-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzar View Post
It seems a lot of people only played AD kat, and now they are coming onto the forum to spew nonsense when they never played AP Kat.
I am sure that you know if I played AP or if I didn't...

Polly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzar View Post
What are you even talking about? O_o

Either I'm being trolled, or people are delusional.

Seriously. The things I'm reading are so weird and obscure that they don't even make sense. Like, with me. I played AD kat, and then I played AP kat, and AP kat was obv. better.

Holy cow.. how can someone be so arrogant in their own power that they can't even fathom the idea of them being wrong?

Seriously, get a reality check. You're not always right and AD or AP, it doesn't matter, it depends on your god **** play style.

Kodoku

05-20-2010

Level 28, with only 43 wins as Katarina. Your last two games have you dying 10+ times.

The fact that your strategy is contingent upon getting kills whenever you use Death Lotus in a team fight is enough to conclude that it is, in fact, a newbie guide. At higher levels of play, there is no way to get around the fact that the effectiveness of Death Lotus will be contingent upon your opponents' competence.

Calculate the damage of shunpo. Divide by cooldown. That small number is the amount of damage per second you're doing as a "mobile nuker". It's pathetic.

Fruz

05-20-2010

Quote:
Level 28, with only 43 wins as Katarina. Your last two games have you dying 10+ times.
I think that in order to be able to write a correct build, for most of the player, it needs more than just this :/.
And you could have wrote a topic named "the Way I play Katarina", but no, you called it "Katarina Done right (Not a newbie guide)".

lololololol
:>

I would like to see a streaming of you playing Kat seriously, that would at least show if you are doing it right and the level of your opponents.

You should return in game and really test all the builds that could be good on Katarina, and com back in 100 game with her.

PS : I played AP Katarina, AD Katarina, and Tank Katarina

Donovan

05-20-2010

This guy hurts my head. Honestly were do people get the idea that AP kat has more durability than AD? Since when does being AD mean that you can't get survivability items..

and yes even in an AD build rylai's > frozen mallet, and haunting guise is one of the best items... so wait, the survivability is... EXACTLY the same

Tewnam

05-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruz View Post
- easyer to stack AD than to stack AP =
the best item for AP is blasting wand : + 40 AP
the best item for AD is BF sword : + 50 AD
considering you have boots, a doran's shield ( start item ), a Haunted guise, you have 3 free slot ( +1 with selling the shield ).
with 4 slots you can stack 4 blasting wands ( 3420 gold ) => 160 AP
with 4 slots you can stack 4 BF sword ( 7200 gold ) => 200 AD

you can have the whole game stacking BF swords ( and it can be upgraded easilly after that )and focusing on AD and only AD ( after the 2 core items, boots and haunted guise ), whereas with AP you have to upgrade the items, giving things others than pure damage ( Rylai is a very good item, but you will simply hit harder with 2 BF swords than with 1 Rilay + 1 blasting wand.
- It gives some physical damages, making the one stacking MR to counter you weaker. Katarina is the the champion to go auto-hit, but you have 1 free hit after Shunpo, and don't say me that you are never auto attacking with Katarina, every champions do some auto attacks.
- The Lotus seems to be more powerfull with stacking AD than with stacking AP
I'm not arguing which type of Kat is better, but saying that it's easier to stack AD is just ridiculous.

Ok, so with your example, the AP Kat is sitting at 160 AP and 3780 gold remaining. Let's upgrade one of those Blasting Wands to a Zhonya's Ring (I would go Rylai's Crystal Scepter first, but this is just an example). Now that AP Kat is sitting at a bonus 305 AP (3x Blasting Wand 120, Zhonya's Ring 120, Zhonya's Ring passive 65). She also still has 1060 gold leftover.

Explain to me again how stacking AD is easier. Maybe you could argue that AD Kat makes more money than AP Kat, but not 2720 gold more unless all the AD Kat is doing is farming while the AP Kat is out ganking.

Fruz

05-20-2010

You need 3 blasting wand in order to build your zonhya
So when ou get it, you only have the haunted guise as other AP items, that makes you (120+20)*1.25 = 175 AP
And before you get others blasting wand you just lost a little because the Zonhya alone is a little expensive ( but very good with a lot of AP ).
And if you wait to have a good amount of AP until you get your Zonhya you will have 1 or maybe 2 free slot to build it.
Zonhya is the best item to get AP ( with Meija ) only, that means that if you want a good amount of AP you can't focus only on it, you have to get others things on your items ( like survability, it's good but I think that in early game dps > survability for Katarina, but that's only my point of view ).

Whereas with full BF sword you just have to focus on buying BF swords and getting only Attack Damage, and getting it much quickly. It's more simple, and I think it's more effective.

It's not a big thing, but this is something that explains why I prefer most of the time going to an AD build.

For an AD Katarina, It can be good to buy a Rylai's Scepter after having 2 or 3 BF sword ( and hitting already hard ), for what it gives.
whereas in AP, having rylai as a first item gives you others things than pure burst, and I think that the pure burst is what suits beter to Katarina.

I don't know if you understand what I mean, I tried to be understandable, I hope I did it x)

stimmedcows

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-20-2010

Just post some youtube replay, it will go a long way to allieving doubts. I've seen a Kat shunpo around killing a team like an alpha striking yi once, two shotting, maybe the only time I've seen it. So, there's that. Other than that, you're still arguing against conventional wisdom, and asking us to take your word for it. Replay could be very useful to Riot as well. I don't think they'd be too pleased with finding out that ths is the "only way to play Kat" after obviously making effort to accomodate other builds.

Fluffy1

05-20-2010

AP kat is ult reliant, and is a one trick pony, by playing AP your BB doesnt exist anymore. while AD sunpo is still respectable. whats goods a strong shunpo if you can only use it to commit to a fight? while it can take a chunk off someones HP a well placed BB or two while teams face off can make theo whole team likely to win the fight.

all AP has going for it really is that theres a decent amount of HP attached to some core items for her. the better damage on the ult is worthless as her ult doesn't go off most of the time. AD even has a decent auto attack for the off hits effectively making her have another nuke, thats 3 nukes for AD and only 1 good one for AP.

there is really no reason why your shouldn't pick AD. its just far more flexible and for a hero that relies on opportunities you cave to be flexible to adjust.