Ezreal : Zhonnya's ring vs Lichabane

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS186afbf367d955

05-19-2010

Hello folks,

I've now played around 60 games with ezreal and I'm starting to think about what I could do to improve my item build. In a nutshell I'm thinking switching to a zhonnya's ring instead of a lich bane.

I currently build him like a caster/support character, I usually start with a doran's ring because he's very squishy and mana hungry early game. Then I grab a sheen before getting either a Roa or a rylai. I like sheen because it gives you some AP, some mana and some extra dmg on Q. IMO AP Ezreal doesn't shine early game so you have to buy aggressive items if you wanna compete during this phase.

Then I often take a mejai if the game doesn't look ugly and after that a cheap or expansive defensive item depending on how the game is going.

So as you can see I never rush lich bane. I see a lot of ezreal doing that and I think it's a terrible mistake. What the point getting a lich bane with only 80 AP ? I don't see any.

But now I'm thinking more and more about completely giving up the lich bane idea. I did two builds with a Roa, a mejai with 7/8 stacks (= 2 blasting wands) + either a lich bane or a zhonnya's ring. I still think sheen is a good item early game so I considered I sold it before buying the zhonny's ring. The build with a lich bane is a little more expansive because I've taken in account the gold lost when selling sheen.

So if you compare those two you have 350 AP with the zhonnya build and 260 AP with the lich bane build. Considering a teamfight often last 15s you have the time to use once your R and your E, twice your W, thrice your Q. From my experience your W and R would hit at least 2 targets.

Last thing to take in account : Armor and MR. Since you're playing AP ezreal you're probably putting any characters at around 0 MR while their armor would be around 70 (it takes time to complete a lich bane and getting it without AP is pointless) that is to say 40% physical dmg reduction.

Let's do the math :
--- Zhonnya's ring build :
1* R, two targets : 1000+0.9*1000= 1900 dmg
1* E, one target : 280+260= 540 dmg
2* W, two targets : (275+210)*4 = 1940 dmg
3*Q, one target : 0.6*(140+100)*3= 430dmg

Total : 4800 dmg dealt

--- Lich bane build :
1* R, two targets : 910+0.9*910= 1730 dmg
1* E, one target : 280+195= 475 dmg
2* W, two targets : (275+156)*4 = 1720 dmg
3*Q, one target : 0.6*(140+100+260)*3= 900 dmg

Total : 4800 dmg dealt

From that point the lich bane build doesn't seem any better than zhonnya's ring build. So why is a lot of people saying this is a must have on Ezreal ?

If you hit any more than two targets with your ultimate (which happens quite often if you're any good) the zhonnya's ring build is definitely better than the lich bane build. Having more AP also gives you better healing capabilities. Last point, if some of your enemies start to stack some armor your Q dmg will drop like a rock since you won't buy %Arpen on AP ezreal.

So what do you think about that ?

Thanks !

Ennbeard

05-19-2010

Sheen early game helps his farming so much. Lichbane is easy to build incrementally, and it's not just powerful on it's own. It's the fact that it gives your Q 1:1 AP scaling. Meaning every item you buy later powers ALL your moves.

Vidal

05-19-2010

Lets see... in a teamfight with no lichbane w and e maxed

10 second cooldown on w and 9 seconds on e in those seconds you do next to no damage and not to mention you risk hitting creeps/tanks with e or just plain missing with w the small ranged, slow skillshot and you have an ult to use once.

With lichbane... 90 less ap but you actualy have anouther usefull skill with does over 90 damage and can be spammed every 4 seconds.

I vote lichbane and like Nitorn said every ap item you get after will add to the damage of q.

McRofls

05-19-2010

Rush Sheen, but get another item inbetween it and lichbane...

Nihil Sine Nefas

05-19-2010

Lichbane helps your overall survivability, while giving you the ability to take down towers fairly quickly. The component parts are cheap and useful as well.

IS186afbf367d955

05-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroN7 View Post
Sheen early game helps his farming so much. Lichbane is easy to build incrementally, and it's not just powerful on it's own. It's the fact that it gives your Q 1:1 AP scaling. Meaning every item you buy later powers ALL your moves.
Not a 1:1 AP scaling, since most of the enemies will have some armor it's like a 0.5AP scaling, that's pretty bad actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidal View Post
Lets see... in a teamfight with no lichbane w and e maxed

10 second cooldown on w and 9 seconds on e in those seconds you do next to no damage and not to mention you risk hitting creeps/tanks with e or just plain missing with w the small ranged, slow skillshot and you have an ult to use once.

With lichbane... 90 less ap but you actualy have anouther usefull skill with does over 90 damage and can be spammed every 4 seconds.

I vote lichbane and like Nitorn said every ap item you get after will add to the damage of q.
Well you don't do close to no damage you just do 50% of the dmg your doing with a lich bane. Anyway even with that most of the dmg you'll do come from your R and your W. By the way the W is super easy to hit in teamfight because people have to stop to move when they auto attack or when they use abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihil Sine Nefas View Post
Lichbane helps your overall survivability, while giving you the ability to take down towers fairly quickly. The component parts are cheap and useful as well.
2s immunity from the ring is also very good to be honest because they will stop to focus you usually. At the time you get the lich bane tower can be killed in several seconds anyway because you'll play in team.

The point I want to highlight is that if anymore than one/two people are stacking armor OR if you hit more than 2 people with your ult it's way better to get the zhonnya instead of the lich bane.

Ironfungus

05-19-2010

Hey guys, just had a quick question. Been rocking some Fiddlesticks lately, and I was wondering about the Lich Bane. It says "100% Chance when an ability is used that your next physical attack deals an additional 100% of your Ability Power in damage." But Fiddlesticks doesn't use physical damage - at all.

So wouldn't this be a poor choice of an item?

SoopaTomato

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-19-2010

that might be why no one gets a lichbane on fiddles

and why not get both a ring and a lichbane?

i usually go tear -> boots -> haunting guise -> rylais -> archangels -> lichbane -> zhonyas

obviously i can't do that every game

and yes my build is fairly squishy.. but in teamfights, i chill at the edge of my heal's range, so it's not very likely that i get hit.

Weltallgaia

05-19-2010

the thing is with lichbane if you auto attack after each ability it boosts your damage immensly. And if your spamming abilities at minions while taking a tower not only is your auto attack speed increasing but your proccing lichbane. Lets say you got 700 ap. Each time you cast a spell then auto attack it does 700 damage in addition to your natural damage. Q which while your weakest abilitiy will proc that 700 damage in addition to its normal damage.

Ironfungus

05-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weltallgaia View Post
the thing is with lichbane if you auto attack after each ability it boosts your damage immensly. And if your spamming abilities at minions while taking a tower not only is your auto attack speed increasing but your proccing lichbane. Lets say you got 700 ap. Each time you cast a spell then auto attack it does 700 damage in addition to your natural damage. Q which while your weakest abilitiy will proc that 700 damage in addition to its normal damage.
So regardless if you auto attack physically, it will still do some amazing damage. Right?