[Guide] Meta's Guide to a Well-Rounded Akali

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Siky

06-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindarling View Post
Because im not exactly lvl 30 yet, more like 15, i start off with an Hp and dorans shield instead of sword. originally i wanted to start with amp tome to get the passive, but I was really vulnerable and hp lacking. So is Dorans shield the best item to start off with when you dont have enough atk dmg from runes/masteries for the sword, or is there another item that could replace the shield with as you lvl and gain more atk from runes, but still dont have enough for a sword to trigger passive? hope that made sense.
The extra HP is more of a crutch than anything. I run Amplifying Tome + HP Pot without any extra health and I really have no problems. There are a ways around being harassed if you're in a tough lane like only last hitting with Q and making sure you try to be in range of all enemy minion deaths even if you can't hit the target. If your lane is difficult you want to get shroud second and use that to get closer to the back row of minions if you need to leech the exp from there and continue to last hit for gold up to level 6.

Long Sword activates your passive without any need for runes and such and gives you the spell vamp. Realize the effects you're getting though as your spell vamp is really only netting you 5, 8 or 10 HP for every Q that hits before level 6 (depending on what level your Q is) or 3/6/8 x Targets hit with E.

To answer your question Lindarling, it depends on what you need as a player...

1) If you really need the HP to survive for whatever reason, stick with Doran's Shield.

2) If you want to use Doran's Blade, all you need is 1 Quintessence of Strength and put 15 points into Offense Mastery (put 3 Points into Brute Force). This gives you 1.75 + 3 + 6 AD which activates the Spell Vamp passive.

3) If you want to ignore runes/mastery setups completely and do what you want with them, Long Sword is definitely enough as long as you are capable of surviving to level 6 without taking unneeded risk.

4) Amplifying Tome + HP Pot is my standard and as I mentioned before, I don't feel like the Spell Vamp really makes much of a difference. Standing back, leeching exp and last hitting as much as possible without putting yourself in danger allows you to progress just fine.

Regardless of options, it's a good idea to look at your own summoner spells and how you use them. Meta's guide mentions the use of Flash/Ignite, this works if you are aggressive and you are used to getting kills early on with this combination. It's useless if you are having difficulty in a lane and I think if you are having difficulty early on surviving with Akali, it's bad spell combo to use. I personally suggest Ghost/Cleanse as it can save you before level 6 if stuns are a problem and Ghost can allow you to escape from messy situations that Flash can't save you unless you are used to using it. I think for Akali it's a far better ganking tool than a survival tool as it lets you Tower Dive more safely. Flash out of Shroud is useful though, but as we don't know if Flash will remain in the game, maybe it might just be better to switch to a different tool like Ghost.

Experiment to see what helps you more as Akali really isn't formulaic, how you play can affect what you actually need. Meta's setup works and especially well for him, but might not for you and it's not the build's fault or Akali's but rather you need certain tools Summoner Spells need to provide for your play style.

Lindarling

06-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siky View Post

Regardless of options, it's a good idea to look at your own summoner spells and how you use them. Meta's guide mentions the use of Flash/Ignite, this works if you are aggressive and you are used to getting kills early on with this combination. It's useless if you are having difficulty in a lane and I think if you are having difficulty early on surviving with Akali, it's bad spell combo to use. I personally suggest Ghost/Cleanse as it can save you before level 6 if stuns are a problem and Ghost can allow you to escape from messy situations that Flash can't save you unless you are used to using it. I think for Akali it's a far better ganking tool than a survival tool as it lets you Tower Dive more safely. Flash out of Shroud is useful though, but as we don't know if Flash will remain in the game, maybe it might just be better to switch to a different tool like Ghost.
I usually go with flash/heal, because I think i tend to play a little too aggressively and need the heal hp for sudden ganks. Plus i like having heal around to help out teammates during group fights. Although Im not really sure of flash's usefulness as it has only really gotten me out of chases where the people were really slow as it is.

Thank you for the item explanations, ill certainly try starting with the different ones. I'm currently loving the shield though because many times in early game i somehow manage, through massive button mashing, to double kill opponents with half a bar of health left. those times make me so happy hehehe

so assuming one has all the necessary runes/masteries, is the blade the overall best starting item for most people? because it has a little bit of everything akali seems to need, except for hp regen, and is still affordable with an hp pot.

Kadzin

06-29-2010

Thanks for a great guide!
I really like playing Akali and I have been playing almost the same way.
I will try getting rylais instead of Guinsoo's now and see how it works.

cShade

06-29-2010

First of all, Thx for the guide Meta.

The new Energy regen runes, what do you guys think about them ? should we replace those dodge runes with them?

Zaouron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cShade View Post

The new Energy regen runes, what do you guys think about them ? should we replace those dodge runes with them?

I was thinking the same thing. The reason i haven't gone and done it yet is that the regen gain isn't all that great regardless if you get flat or per lvl runes (~5 ep5/~9ep5@18).

I'm currently using 2 flat AP quints and AP per lvl glyphs. This activates the AP passive at lvl 5 (dont need to bluepill back for a tome to activate. it's very nice). I'm loathe to get rid of any of them until someone more mathy (or brave) figures out if the energy/5 is worth more than the 7% dodge or any bonus AP.

Also, there are the flat energy total increase quints and glyphs. Is 38 extra energy really worth it? Is there a combination of +energy and energy regen runes that hit some break even point?

I can see them being worthwhile if only because there are no items in game to increase these stats. Hopefully a mathy person looks into this as it's a huge IP investment.

Montegomery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-29-2010

In order to understand the worth of energy runes, one must consider the scenarios in which energy is being consumed.

Scenario 1: Laning

Minions spawn every 30 seconds, meaning that an Akali player has an effective energy budget of 300 energy per wave without runes/golem buff. If you aren't spending this entire budget, energy regeneration runes serve no purpose. If you are spending this entire budget (or even overspending) and/or do not encounter situations where you need to use more than 200 + 10X energy in X seconds, then flat energy runes serve no purpose.

Scenario 2: Team Fights

Team fights have various dynamics which can emerge. There are fights were champions circle back and forth just outside of range of each other and fire potshots, there are fights where protracted battles occur across a wide area, and there are fights where everything explodes in a quick, painful mess until one or two champions are left standing.

In any team fight scenario the effectiveness of energy regeneration is directly proportional to the duration of the fight (or more specifically, the duration of your lifespan), assuming you can make use of it. If you can, a .6 energy per 5 rune will provide as much energy for the fight as a 2 energy rune after 17 seconds of combat.

Typically in this scenario Akali will execute a quick combination using all of her abilities at least once before retreating back to safety. Unless Akali is a very low level, or fails to connect a melee swing to follow up Mark, she will have all the energy she requires to execute this combo without the assistance of runes. Thus, the benefit of runes is not necessary in enabling burst combos, but in allowing then to be executed again sooner.

At level 18 the basic burst combo consumes 160 energy. The soonest the combination can be repeated is tied to Twilight Shroud's cooldown. With 40% cooldown reduction (the maximum) Shroud's cooldown is 10.8 seconds. Therefore, a minimum of 110 energy will have been refunded before the combination can begin again, putting Akali at 150 energy. Because it will take more than a second to execute the combo, we can see that Akali can execute it twice before additional energy or energy regeneration proves useful.

Scenario 3: Chasing

A common scenario for Akali is to be chasing down an enemy after a team fight is wrapping up. She will have already expended the sum of her energy in attacking and killing other opponents, meaning that flat energy is essentially moot in this scenario. Her ability to hunt down and kill her remaining foe is therefore entirely tied to how quickly she regenerates energy.

In this scenario, base energy regen is sufficient to throw a mark at the enemy champion after 6 seconds and, assuming you are able to follow up with melee strikes, continue to spam mark on cooldown thereafter. Therefore energy regeneration's sole use is to enable using Crescent and/or Twilight Shroud during the chase. With base regen and no cooldown reduction, it will take 12 seconds before Crescent can be used without preventing Marks, while with energy regeneration runes it will take 8-10 seconds.

I plan on paying more attention to my energy usage to determine how frequently some extra regeneration/cap would benefit me before I purchase any of these. They could be good, but I'm feeling as though I could just as easily be more careful about my ability usage.

Zaouron

06-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montegomery View Post

Good assessment blah blah blah...

I plan on paying more attention to my energy usage to determine how frequently some extra regeneration/cap would benefit me before I purchase any of these. They could be good, but I'm feeling as though I could just as easily be more careful about my ability usage.
I did this same thing. I played a couple more games and paid attention to my energy use and I agree with your thoughts completely. I rarely find myself in a predicament where i wish i had just a little more energy.

Akali is very hit and run. If you can't blow up your target with your initial burst + an extra mark/hit then you need to get out of Dodge and let all your CD's refresh and then look to go back in.

I could see the bonus energy regen being useful for clearing creep waves and maybe in long games (45+ min) where both teams have been able to farm up. But outside of that, i'm able to drop the squishies extremely fast to where i dont have energy issues and anyone else i just kite around until they're low enough that i can burst them down.

Meta2

06-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cShade View Post

In all honesty, I haven't been doing much theorycrafting on the Energy runes yet. I actually haven't been playing Akali much over the past week or two. Based on my initial thoughts, maybe "Max energy" runes might be good on her (due to her bursty nature), but I probably wouldn't find much use in "energy regen".

I'll pick up some of the runes tonight and play some games with her over the next few days. I'll respond with more thoughts here in the next week or so.

Hopefully I can have my regular account fixed soon though... it really sucks not being able to edit my own guide.

cShade

06-29-2010

Thanks you all =)

ImBahBz

06-30-2010

For pubstomping on Akali I usually go:

-amplifying tome (dont judge just yet ^_^) +health pot
-boots1
-sheen
-blasting wand
-giant's belt
-boots2 (mobility can be quite useful)
-pickaxe
-guinsoo
-zhonya's
-zeal

*other items to be noted*
-stark's fervor: this item has actually been very useful at times for me, the aura for your team and the very nice life steal give her some extra staying power.
-trinity force: I've rushed this item before, and it's quite noticeable who's the boss if you manage to get it before the game ends.
-last whisper- I've actually found, that (of course this was with elixirs) Akali can literally shred tanks in seconds because of this item, regardless the extra 40% AS is always enjoyable.
-rylai's crystal scepter- this item is PERFECT for Akali, and is highly advisable, I just honestly never really NEED it right away.
-frozen mallet, is actually very useful for Akali, bunch of health and a slow on hit, it's an alternative to rylai's.
-madred's razors- a must have if you are jungling as Akali, which can be turned into madred's bloodrazor when it comes time to gank.

If you're needing survivability from items than you can go for warmogs, despite what you may think having some lifesteal and some regen make her a really serious problem for your opponents.

I tend to item for AP - AS - AD - CRIT - LS, from most important to least important, but all pretty necessary save the LS and CRIT. And only buying defensive when absolutely needed, but rarely have I actually seen these teams that down you in a single disable, use your "W" faster and press ghost...

This is by no means my guide I go by for her, but usually the way I tend to purchase items, ofc they change when needed if things are not going smoothly.

my KDs are usually around 15-20 / 0-5 with a varying amount of assists, sometimes I have 16 assists sometimes I have 1 : \