[Guide] Meta's Guide to a Well-Rounded Akali

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fallen 62

Senior Member

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta View Post
Is Akali effective in 3v3ís?
The vast majority of my games have been on Summonerís Rift, which is why this guide is tailored for that map. Iíve played several games with Akali in 3ís, and find that she can be effective on that map, but I wouldnít recommend her over other champions. That map is much more about having champions that are strong fighters at all points in the game, and I find her too weak at levels 1-5. With that said, I could be wrong here since generally 3ís arenít my strong-suit.
(I haven't read the whole thread, so if I'm repeating, my bad :P )I will say that yes, she is. I have had some very good games as Akali, and pretty much only play her on TT. She can be a beast and snowball pretty quickly. Aside from one horrible game with her recent (and I blame one of my team mates of course), I tend to go something like 7+/3-/3+ on TT with her.

How I build her:
9/21/0 mastery for extra durability and survivability
Magic Pen/Dodge/Flat CDR Runes with HP Quints

Start with Fort Pot, 2 Healing pots and 1 Vision ward
Boots 1
Giant's Belt
Amp Tome/Blasting Wand
Blasting Wand/Amp Tome
Wand+Tome+Belt->Rylai's
Boots 2 (Tabai, Merc)

That's my basic start. After that, I go either Guinsoo's or the Gunblade, getting revolver first for AP and spell vamp. After this, I usually start on a Lich Bane, then I don't know because the games very rarely last long enough for me to finish the Gunblade.

I use Akali mostly on TT, though I have used her once or twice on SR. Maybe I'll try your build on SR and see how that goes I've been on a Ezreal and Kennen kick for SR though :P And I want to get back into playing Garen, I liked him

edit: BTW, I usually get Mark at level 1, Shroud at 2, Slash at 3, then max Slash ASAP, getting ult when you can. Then Mark, then Shroud. In TT I mainly use Shroud as an escape mechanism, and maybe a little CC for the slow. I throw a Mark, ult in, smack them for the added Mark damage, Slash, mark again, attack, ult to them if they are trying to escape, and slash. Usually by then they are close to dead, if not completely dead. I may tend to blow too many ult charges on one person, but I hate if they get away with a sliver of life :P

I also get Liz buff whenever possible, to augment the Rylai's slow for my auto attacks and such. It tends to work very well.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hedgepig

Senior Member

06-11-2010

I've played more Akali ( and with more success) on TT than SR. I find her really fun to play here, as well as effective. Funny how those go hand in hand sometimes. Shes well suited to TT as its easier to juke using shroud in TT's close jungle, and shes sturdier since there is less incidental AOE going on.

I build her Ult >Mark>Slash>Shroud, starting with 1 in mark and second in shroud. 3 depends on how the first team fight went.

I find maxing mark first is far better at bursting down people early on than crescent, and you can free farm when they are running back or scared to engage.

Items:
Either Fort pot, or Dorans shield, or Dorans Blade, depending on the team makeup.
The other dorans (yes, 2)
Boots 1
Phage
Sheen
Boots 2 as needed. Often swift or Merc.
Triforce.
Game is usually over on TT by the time you get triforce.

This gives you just enough survivability. With the dorans shield and blade, you get good early hp, and a little regen of various sorts (passive, lifesteal, per5). Going phage next helps you pin someone, and stay sturdy. You dont need a ton of actual offense at this point because your mark is enough raw damage to be significant.

Sheen next gives you your magic passive and contributes a lot of burst, and I just complete triforce after that as I have sheen and phage.

I wouldnt reccomend a triforce build on 5s though, nor the double dorans start. This is all about getting your squish self comparable to the usual sturdy TT picks. If you can live long enough to put down a shroud, you can get away in TT.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Miltus

Senior Member

06-13-2010

Awesome guide! This guide made me buy Akali actually (everything about it just makes sense).

I use Cleanse instead of Ignite though, how essential would you say Ignite is (I'm asking because I haven't really had much experience with Ignite)?

Also, you might want to note that *Lesser* Quintessence of Strength (+masteries) is enough to activate the passive, it is a LOT cheaper and you're not going to use +dmg quints on other champs anyway. It certainly wasn't obvious to me when I started (I think the lower tier runes often get overlooked).

Thank you again for making such a great guide!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Miserable Failure_

Banned

06-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltus View Post
I use Cleanse instead of Ignite though, how essential would you say Ignite is (I'm asking because I haven't really had much experience with Ignite)?
A lot of this can depend on what else your team goes. Personally, I like to have 2 Ignites on a team since heavy-heal teams are so popular right now. It's also just really great for getting early kills to help you get your important items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltus View Post
Also, you might want to note that *Lesser* Quintessence of Strength (+masteries) is enough to activate the passive, it is a LOT cheaper and you're not going to use +dmg quints on other champs anyway. It certainly wasn't obvious to me when I started (I think the lower tier runes often get overlooked).
I wrote the guide assuming best-option-available. I've got a lot of IP, so runes generally aren't a problem for me.

I'll make a note of it in my guide tho though, because I know a lot of people don't want to spend a ton of IP on a rune they'll only use on one champ. Right now my account is still bugged though, so unfortunately I can't edit my guide right now...

=(

-Meta


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

brakelance

Senior Member

06-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgepig View Post
I've played more Akali ( and with more success) on TT than SR. I find her really fun to play here, as well as effective. Funny how those go hand in hand sometimes. Shes well suited to TT as its easier to juke using shroud in TT's close jungle, and shes sturdier since there is less incidental AOE going on.
As have I.

Personally the summoner spells I tend to use are Ghost/Exhaust sometimes subbing Ghost for Ignite. Primarily because summoner spells are very powerful at early levels. On TT many a time I've gotten 2 kills at level one in that small window of ganking. Part of that also comes with teammates who are half way decent or have synergy with Akali. Also Exhaust is invaluable late game. Why? Because I find Akali to remain solely on her burst and can't just auto-attack as well as other heros (like Jaxx, Yi, Twitch, ect) so usually after expending a lot of energy on the 2nd rotation of combos and a champion is still alive exhaust buys time to recharge energy without getting destroyed yourself.

Leveling skills is pretty much the same as the OP maxing out Mark first. But rank 1 of Twilight Shroud is invaluable.

Item built tends to be: Longsword and health pot, Ruby Crystal and Boots or Giants Belt and boot, continue to Phage and Frozen Mallet or Rylia's, Merc Treds. I tend to flip flop a lot on item built I'm going with depending on situation and opponents. Strong fighters on the other team tend to be countered by AP builds, and Casters strong AD builds in my experience.

Either way you do want to active both twin disciples. I'm not really trying to write my own guide here but through 26 games my average is 9-3-4 with a top kill of 22 almost solely on TT.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hildogen

Member

06-17-2010

If you don't mind I would like to go back to the matter of taking CD runes.

It it better to get CD for that ~5% reduction, or is it better to just stack more magic pen.

The reason I say this is because since she is an energy based hero, if you go through a full burst combo i feel like i use my available energy before the small amount of reduction can make a difference.

Or, in the case of lich bane where you will be pacing the usage of you abilities, the current CD of your abilities lines up pretty well with the cooldown of the item. I've only just starting playing Akali but so far it feels like using pen to get that little extra damage (and getting more from the vamp as a result) would seem to be a better option than a ~5% CD. It will also help with the magic damage you get on your melee attacks because of your passive.

Looking forward to a response! And thanks, for the guide, it helped me out a lot!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Miserable Failure_

Banned

06-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hildogen View Post
If you don't mind I would like to go back to the matter of taking CD runes.

It it better to get CD for that ~5% reduction, or is it better to just stack more magic pen.

The reason I say this is because since she is an energy based hero, if you go through a full burst combo i feel like i use my available energy before the small amount of reduction can make a difference.

Or, in the case of lich bane where you will be pacing the usage of you abilities, the current CD of your abilities lines up pretty well with the cooldown of the item. I've only just starting playing Akali but so far it feels like using pen to get that little extra damage (and getting more from the vamp as a result) would seem to be a better option than a ~5% CD. It will also help with the magic damage you get on your melee attacks because of your passive.

Looking forward to a response! And thanks, for the guide, it helped me out a lot!
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of secondary runes. The bonus is usually significantly less. In your example, you're only getting 60% of the stats from blue pen runes that you get out of red pen runes.

Also, I think you're underestimating cooldown reduction. A good way to illustrate this is for you to imagine scenarios where you're "waiting on" abilities. Situations where you're chasing and just need to throw another mark to get a kill, or where you're running and just need to drop a shroud to buy some time or make your escape. It's sometimes hard to notice the effects of cooldown reduction, but it helps more often than you realize.

I will admit that cooldown reduction might not be the best runes in all situations. I've taken a hiatus from Akali since her auto-attack is currently bugged, but once she's fixed next patch I'm going to play around with more magic resistance blue runes. Previously I had tried the scaling ones, but I think I might actually try static magic resist to help making Akali's laning phase a little less painful.

However, if you feel that you're most suited by magic pen, then by all means go for it. As I've stated many times before, this guide is only my perspective. I don't want to tell you how to play, I only wrote this to give people information and direction. At the end of the day you need to adapt it to what works best for you, as should be the case with any guide.

-Meta


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hildogen

Member

06-20-2010

Undetstandable, just havent actually done the math myself so I figured asking someone with more experience would be a wise course of action. ^_^

Flat blue MR are actually what I am currently using as so far the seem to be a good way to go. Give alot more laning ability against those with spammable abilities.

EDIT -------
What is actually wrong with her auto, and did they actually say it was getting fixed?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UnregisteredMeta

Member

06-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hildogen View Post
EDIT -------
What is actually wrong with her auto, and did they actually say it was getting fixed?
Her swing timer is currently taking much longer than it should. This means that there will be situations where you're in melee range, start to swing your auto-attack, but your enemy gets out of range before it completes and your auto-attack never goes off. This can be especially problematic when trying to consume your Marks.

Riot has stated multiple times that this will be fixed in the next patch.

-Meta


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lindarling

Junior Member

06-28-2010

Amazing guide =D
Your organization of the topics made it really easy to skim through, read thoroughly, and reread as I gained more experience playing with Akali. I was deciding between katarina and akali to buy because i was tired of playing zilean all the time, and I'm really happy i chose Akali. This guide really helped a lot to explain how to handle rough situations.

I really enjoy bursting out at someone and scaring the daylights out of them :]
Because im not exactly lvl 30 yet, more like 15, i start off with an Hp and dorans shield instead of sword. originally i wanted to start with amp tome to get the passive, but I was really vulnerable and hp lacking. So is Dorans shield the best item to start off with when you dont have enough atk dmg from runes/masteries for the sword, or is there another item that could replace the shield with as you lvl and gain more atk from runes, but still dont have enough for a sword to trigger passive? hope that made sense.