[Guide] Meta's Guide to a Well-Rounded Akali

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kurugi

06-03-2010

Hey Meta I dunno if you addressed this anywhere, but if you don't have the mastery points/runes to get the spell vamp portion of Akali's passive right off the bat do you think it'd be more effective to start with a Doran's shield instead? Or perhaps an Amplifying Tome to get an early foothold into Rylai's or something?

Meta

06-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitan View Post
Meta I gotta say, I've used your guide since my first game with Akali and it's worked out great. My current win/loss is 13/6 with rather respectable scores throughout the games even on losses.

It seems the only problems I run into playing Akali are...

• Stun Characters (but merc's plus shroud usually helps if you time it right)
  • Very Tanky teams (ran into only a couple of these)
  • Better ranged harass opponents during the laning phase

So how does Meta handle these things?

Edit: Also when people Stack MR, get some physical like BF swords or..? :P
Stun champions
Stuns definitely make Akali's life a little more miserable, so the key here is merc treads + timing. Don't put yourself in a situation where their team is going to be able to chain stun you. Generally, if you get hit by just one stun it won't be too bad, but getting chain stunned is almost certain death. Wait for your tank and other melee to go in and eat a few stuns first.

Additionally, try to make sure you're inside your shroud when you're eating stuns. This way, while you're stunned you'll simply fade into stealth.

Tanky Teams
This is a tougher one for Akali, since she truly is based around burst. The best advice I can give is to play even more of a hit-and-run style. Explode your mark/crescent combo on them, then get out of range until they're up again. Try to bait them into chasing you, since generally tanky characters won't be able to burn you quickly. Don't go toe-to-toe with tanks, especially ones like Shen or Mord. They will outlast you.

Encourage your teammates to get anti-tank items (Bloodrazor, Last Whisper, etc). You can do the same to some extent. Get a Deathfire Grasp if they're stacking HP, or a Void Staff if their stacking MR (which is my solution to your "edit" question).

Ranged Harass
This one can really be a nightmare scenario. The first step here is trying to secure a ranged or support lanemate. Akali really doesn't do well with another melee with her in her lane, so try to organize with your team to split up melee DPS.

The flipside of this is that if you get matched up AGAINST two melee, you're in for some fun. You can completely deny them using shroud scare tactics and Mark burst, and it's very easy to get an early kill.

If having a ranged lanemate truly isn't an option, then you just have to play defensive and use mind-games to keep some amount of lane control. Last hit using only the ranged portion of Mark (grab a 2nd rank at level 3 to make this easier), and use Shroud to spook/bait your opponents. If you can use Shroud to get in and harass your opponents safely, do it. If not, still drop shroud to make them think you're moving in, but just stay back in the brush. Hopefully they'll blow some AOEs trying to catch you, or at the very least be distracted from last hitting for a bit.

Once you get 6, life gets A LOT easier against ranged, so try to just soak up XP until then. Don't take risks, they likely won't be worth it. The last thing you want to do is fall behind in experience, since getting 6 is so vital. Even if you're not getting much gold, remember that Akali farms and ganks great mid-game, so you can easily catch up later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurugi View Post
Hey Meta I dunno if you addressed this anywhere, but if you don't have the mastery points/runes to get the spell vamp portion of Akali's passive right off the bat do you think it'd be more effective to start with a Doran's shield instead? Or perhaps an Amplifying Tome to get an early foothold into Rylai's or something?
I would probably go with a Doran's Shield. If you take an early amp-tome, you won't have any form of Health Regen (since you don't get your spell vamp passive). You could try a Long Sword, but you'll be extremely squishy at that point as well.

Charmicarmicarmicat

06-04-2010

The problem with Guinsoo's RB is that by the time you're about to build it you find yourself asking; Could I spend 2.2k gold in a better way, such as being half way to a Zhonya's, or make a banshee's/Randuin. You still have your 10+ damage at this point, so her passive isn't a big issue.

Zhonya's is a the best way to improve your burst, and adds a last defensive resort that may save you.

Meta

06-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmicarmicarmicat View Post
The problem with Guinsoo's RB is that by the time you're about to build it you find yourself asking; Could I spend 2.2k gold in a better way, such as being half way to a Zhonya's, or make a banshee's/Randuin. You still have your 10+ damage at this point, so her passive isn't a big issue.

Zhonya's is a the best way to improve your burst, and adds a last defensive resort that may save you.
You must not have noticed, I've moved Rageblade back to pretty much the last item of my build. You need to have at least one damage item in inventory in order to maintain your passive, so if it's time to sell your Doran's Blade then that's a good time to pick up Guinsoo's.

Zhonya's is good, but I rarely see games last long enough to get there. Generally After Rylai's/Lich Bane I grab a defensive item to counter whatever on the opposing team is giving me the most trouble. If it's a caster blowing me up, then I'll build Abyssal Scepter. If it's a Physical carry, I"ll get a Guardian Angel.

Charmicarmicarmicat

06-04-2010

You could always grab a fort pot :-)

Meta

06-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmicarmicarmicat View Post
You could always grab a fort pot :-)
Could, but I'd hate to find myself in a situation where my fort pot ran out and I didn't have my passive =(

blacryan

06-07-2010

Meta,

any thought with the new change that every 100dmg = %10 vamp... think hexblade looks any better or guinsoo's up on the list possibly?

Miserable Failure_

Banned

06-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacryan View Post
Meta,

any thought with the new change that every 100dmg = %10 vamp... think hexblade looks any better or guinsoo's up on the list possibly?
It doesn't change much in my mind. I haven't been on the Test Realm at all so I haven't had the chance to test it, but I'm guessing straight-AP will still be the way to go.

You'd need 4 BF swords to get the equivalent spellvamp to one revolver. Not only that, but spellvamp will be a weaker stat on her overall.

So tbh not much will change, except the fact that your jungling might be slightly nerfed early on.

-Meta

Exhausted

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-09-2010

Nice guide, generally agree with you, this is pretty much how I have been playing Akali and been succesful with her.
The only thing I don't understand is..why CD reduction glyphs? With all of her cooldowns are just a couple of second, 5,85% doesn't really do that much. When I compare them with AP/lvl, I get more than 27 AP at lvl 18. Sure, it's not something great, but I find it better than not even a second down of my offensive abilities?

Miserable Failure_

Banned

06-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhausted View Post
Nice guide, generally agree with you, this is pretty much how I have been playing Akali and been succesful with her.
The only thing I don't understand is..why CD reduction glyphs? With all of her cooldowns are just a couple of second, 5,85% doesn't really do that much. When I compare them with AP/lvl, I get more than 27 AP at lvl 18. Sure, it's not something great, but I find it better than not even a second down of my offensive abilities?
Low cooldowns isn't exactly good justification for avoiding cooldown reduction. If anything, it's the opposite. Remember all the Nidalees stacking CDR to lower pounce cooldown? That was only 3 seconds.

Look at it this way: 6.8% cooldown reduction allows you to cast 7.3% faster, which means your ability damage potential is increased 7.3% (ignoring energy and other factors of course). Also, faster ability spamming means you'll be keeping up your Rylai's debuff more effectively. Also, more Shroud uptime, etc.

AP runes are actually pretty bad. Sure, you get 27 AP at 18, but you get almost nothing at low levels. 27 AP just doesn't seem like enough to warrant "waiting for".

If I was going to do anything other than CDR, it'd probably be static magic resist to help her survive lane harassment a bit better.

-Meta